Lighthouse-> Fried Clams--> Expensive

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Default Lighthouse-> Fried Clams--> Expensive

We look forward to an order of fried clams occasionaly (being from Mass.). We ordered a plate to share between my wife and I at Lighhthouse. When the food arrived there were 5 clams. I asked the waitress and she said they serve by weight. $20 for 5 clams is even more expensive then lobster!!! Not doing that again. Anyone else had this experience?? Is there a better place to go for one of our favories: Fried Clams??
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetyler View Post
We look forward to an order of fried clams occasionaly (being from Mass.). We ordered a plate to share between my wife and I at Lighhthouse. When the food arrived there were 5 clams. I asked the waitress and she said they serve by weight. $20 for 5 clams is even more expensive then lobster!!! Not doing that again. Anyone else had this experience?? Is there a better place to go for one of our favories: Fried Clams??
Recently my friend ordered a clam strip basket for $9 at The Lighthouse, and she received a lot of food. Your five clams must have been gigantic!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Yes. For starters, good NE style fried clams are VERY pricey but that price seems very high. Do yourself a favor and drive out to Dan's Clam Stand in Crystal River...the place is on the right on Route 44. It's a little rustic but we have been there three or four times for a REALLY good New England style Captain's Platter or a fried clam dinner.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 05-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Which Lighthouse are you referrng to Pon Inlet or The Villages????
Old 05-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Sage

Whenever we order such items---shrimp, lobster tails, scallops etc. We'll ask "how many" in a serving and "how large" are they??
Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I have been there many times. It is one of my favorite places to eat. I don't eat shellfish because I am allergic but today I went with seven girls for lunch after golf. I don't remember any menu items being that high. What was it called?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Gold member

I believe the whole belly fried clams is a Friday night special. My wife tried it a couple of months ago and was shocked to get only six clams for $19.95. Not a dish we will order there again.

Of course we are probably a bit spoiled. Since we spent the last two weeks at Cape Cod we had our share of fresh New England seafood. My wife twice had whole belly clams for about $15 and got around 12 clams. But then again that price is location driven.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Veteran member
Default Whole belly fried clams

Quote:
Try Sams St Johns Seafood Restaurant on 441, across from Sonic's in Spruce Creek Terrace. Usually a Friday special, but you can call ahead and ask to have some saved for you. I think they were $15-$16 for a good size order with sides. We really enjoy them there, along with their fried oysters, shrimp, crab cakes, etc. By the way, they're whole belly clams. They had conch fritters last night and they were excellent (similar to clam cakes). We're from Dartmouth, Ma (near New Bedford), and also miss the seafood. Don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

That's a lot of clams......for not a lot of clams.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Been to Essex, MA for clams? Try "Essex Seafood Two" in Pierson, FL. It is 1 hour 12 minutes from The Villages, through the Ocala Forrest. Heard a family member from Mass owns it & it is very good. We plan to try it soon.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Platinum member

I agree....Lighthouse Rstrnt in TV has good seafood but their order of whole belly fried clams is too small and too expensive. I'm from MA also, Larry B.
Do you belong to the Southeast MA Club??? They fly in fresh fish twice a year from New Bedford for their members. Nice club to join if you're not a member already.
Nancy
Old 05-17-2013, 05:44 AM

The Freezer Tiki Bar - Homosassa, FL

Try the Freezer in Homosassa, best clam strips on the planet.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 PM

I've had the clam dinner at The Light House Point Restaurant in The Villages three times this winter . . . I found the portion of whole belly clams to be on the small side but excellent . . . considering we are in Florida I found the meal worth the $19.95 . . . heck if I drive over an hour from The Villages it will cost over $10 for the gas (round trip) so what would I save? I do return to New England in the summer and I've found the prices up there have gone sky high for a good fried clam dinner - $14-16 dollar range, so considering they have to fly these clams in fresh I just don't think the price is that steep but then I've certainly always had more than 5 or 6 clams on the plate.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Default Fried Clams

Quote:
I am also from Massachusetts and love fried fish..There is a great place called Gator Joe Beach bar on Lake Weir in the city of Ocklowoho Florida...
No swimming in the lake, but, great view....They are on the internet..
Good luck
Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Try Sams St Johns Seafood Restaurant on 441, across from Sonic's in Spruce Creek Terrace. Usually a Friday special, but you can call ahead and ask to have some saved for you. I think they were $15-$16 for a good size order with sides. We really enjoy them there, along with their fried oysters, shrimp, crab cakes, etc. By the way, they're whole belly clams. They had conch fritters last night and they were excellent (similar to clam cakes). We're from Dartmouth, Ma (near New Bedford), and also miss the seafood. Don't think you'll be disappointed.
We're also from Dartmouth, MA. and the best fried clams anywhere were available from a small roadside clam shack named MaCray's Shack on Route 6 in Westport, MA.

They are no longer there but when in Florida will seek out the posted recommendations to try Florida style clam cakes.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.