Lighthouse restaurant, Lake Sumter

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Default Lighthouse restaurant, Lake Sumter

I wanted to let people know that during dinner last Sunday my guest who was flying out the next day pulled a metal object out of her mouth that had caught in her tooth. It was a long metal shaving. It was in the pasta with scampi. When this metal piece, (we have a picture), was presented to the manager, she gasped and took the plate into the kitchen and disappeared for 10 minutes or more. She reappeared with the cook who admitted it was from a scrub brush and it was a large metal shaving from a pan scrub brush. The manager was not concerned about any injury to my friends mouth or dental work. She said she would "get her another dinner" but otherwise we would have to pay for the dinner! I was shocked at the response even when they admitted they put the metal in the food.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:26 PM
Default Lighthouse Restaurant

I will say that their fish is the best around, however, they have to scrub their dishes by hand. I was always told that a automatic dishwasher is best because of the water temperature. You are not able to put your hands in water hot enough to kill germs.
Lighthouse dishwashers use scrubbers, this is why you got one stuck in your food. Health department should look into this.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Sage

Never give a way the offending piece without documentation and statement stating the fault--you have given away any proof if there is cause for remedy
Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
I wanted to let people know that during dinner last Sunday my guest who was flying out the next day pulled a metal object out of her mouth that had caught in her tooth. It was a long metal shaving. It was in the pasta with scampi. When this metal piece, (we have a picture), was presented to the manager, she gasped and took the plate into the kitchen and disappeared for 10 minutes or more. She reappeared with the cook who admitted it was from a scrub brush and it was a large metal shaving from a pan scrub brush. The manager was not concerned about any injury to my friends mouth or dental work. She said she would "get her another dinner" but otherwise we would have to pay for the dinner! I was shocked at the response even when they admitted they put the metal in the food.
Look like a job for Dan Newlin
Old 02-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Look like a job for Dan Newlin

Dan is out of the office at this time. He's busy buying silver from William Devany.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

Contact the Florida Health Department (850-245-4444) and they will get the place inspected.

Skip
Old 02-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Veteran member
Default Lighthouse etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
We do not like to be negative about the Lighthouse or any restaurant, but, we have been there twice and never again. Want a good meal? Go to Arnold Palmer or Sonny's or Evans Prairie for sure.
bbbbbb
Old 02-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Gold member

I want to say that this issue can happen in any restaurant...and I do wish the manager had handled the issue a little differently...although I don't know much about the restaurant business except eating there........I do love there fish and chips and onion rings....

and the view from the dining room is awesome....
Old 02-22-2017, 08:42 PM
Default My husband will not go back to the Lighthouse at Sumter

Without getting into detail, we have been there many times. We love the food and the view. However, the 2nd time that we had to ask for the manager regarding poor service was the last straw for my husband. Both times the manager's response was unacceptable. The manager is the owners daughter and in my opinion has no idea how to handle unhappy customers. Let's just put it this way we will not be going back. My husband taught customer service classes for 15 years.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have never had bad food or bad service there. The Lighthouse was originally run by the Morse Family and the long time manager bought it from them several years ago and I think she has maintained the high standards. The food is always good. I am sorry to hear about this mishap. Are you SURE they don't have an automatic dishwasher??? BUT I don't think anybody puts fry pans in a dishwasher. They are scrubbed out by hand because they are seasoned and they always reach the temperature where germs would be killed anyway while cooking.

Sad and unfortunate this happened. Glad no one swallowed it..
Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Lighthouse was originally run by the Morse Family...
Sorry, the Lighthouse was originally owned by Robin Lewis and it was called the Lewis Lighthouse. He left suddenly after a dispute over air conditioning the enclosed area.

Skip
Old 02-23-2017, 10:56 AM
Platinum member

Last three times we dined there the food went down hill with smaller servings.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Sorry, the Lighthouse was originally owned by Robin Lewis and it was called the Lewis Lighthouse. He left suddenly after a dispute over air conditioning the enclosed area.

Skip
Definitely miss Robin & Caroline. I always tell them they need to come back.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have never had bad food or bad service there. The Lighthouse was originally run by the Morse Family and the long time manager bought it from them several years ago and I think she has maintained the high standards. The food is always good. I am sorry to hear about this mishap. Are you SURE they don't have an automatic dishwasher??? BUT I don't think anybody puts fry pans in a dishwasher. They are scrubbed out by hand because they are seasoned and they always reach the temperature where germs would be killed anyway while cooking.

Sad and unfortunate this happened. Glad no one swallowed it..
Robin & Caroline Lewis were the original owners. They also owned the Santiago Restaurant. When they opened Lighthouse, they sold Santiago to some friends from England.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Skip
The sad thing was they wouldn't let Robin & Caroline enclose & air condition it or put a cover over the back. But then they turned around and did it after they took it over.

Tags
metal, dinner, scrub, brush, mouth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.