Liver and Onions

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
I had read before about how great Toojay's chicken livers were. Told hubby about it because he just loves fried chicken livers, so we went. He looked at the menu before we were seated and didn't see "fried" chicken livers and then he asked if they were fried and was told no they don't fry then. Needless to say, we left, stopped at the store, bought some and came home and fried them ourselves.

BTW for those of you that have had the chicken livers, how do they cook them??
CFrance is right. They are gently fried, not deep fried. Tell your husband he is missing a treat for your mouth. I had NEVER had them that way and my dear friend Ruthie told me about them and she was right.

Of course right, Ruthie.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Default Liver and Onions

went to McCalls for liver and onions - order rare and you might get it medium to well..... dinner was good for a good price but the service....YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhr95 View Post
MiMi's cafe on state road 200 in Ocala.
MENU | DINNER
Were you there for dinner or lunch? We like to go there for lunch. Now that you mention it, I remember they had liver on their menu. I just don't i you could get it for lunch. I must call!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran member
Default Count us in.

Love liver and onions as long as the liver isn't over cooked but just pink, like a rare steak. Got a Mme Benoit recipe years ago and have used it ever since and converted my DH to liver with it. Liver is cut into french fried size slices and breaded with flour and thyme and fired just enough. Soooooooo tender. Count me in if you go in March. We are hoping to be down by the 10th and staying til the end of May.

LW888
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Eternal Member

Sorry folks but liver and onions are one meal I will pass on. I love sautéed onions but just cannot eat liver. Just one of those things I never cared for as a kid even though my Mom made it often for the family. Not a picky eater and there are only a few food that I will never eat and liver is one of them.

VG
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Sage

Please let me know if and when the Liver & Onions club is meeting at TooJays. Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Please let me know if and when the Liver & Onions club is meeting at TooJays. Thanks
We might as well wait till March so Lighthouse888 can go. Maybe Toojays will take rez for a group?

Virtual Geezer, that's okay. I can't stand lima beans--terrible mouth feel and awful taste. I would gag on them. As kids, we used to hide them in our napkins and throw them out the bedroom window. Some things you just don't grow to like.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Sage

Lighthouse888 Sorry! I meant Lightworker. Need to work on my editing skills...
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Well, guess we didn't find out when and where the original liver & onions group meets, but it looks like we can start our own TOTV group. BTW, just enjoyed a good lunch portion of liver at Pete's Diner in Fruitland Park last week. A very small restaurant with friendly staff. The best IMHO was at Tasters Choice in Leesburg which closed last year. Made a special trip to Eustis to dine at the Mason Jar because the tv lady said theirs was so good....found it to be a waste of time.
So, please count me in...hubby is happy with a hamburger.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Excellent idea. March. TOTV'rs that like liver and onions. CFrance is kicking, well she is taking names.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfearn285 View Post
went to McCalls for liver and onions - order rare and you might get it medium to well..... dinner was good for a good price but the service....YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went to McCalls last night, not for liver and onions, but to listen to the blues band that was playing. I had just the opposite experience. Food was definitely nothing to write home about, but when I told the server my meal was cold and I couldn't eat it, she bought me a new hot meal and said, "no charge". I insisted on still paying, but I thought that was excellent customer service.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Thanks CFrance. I just have to get the OK to travel after my second cataract is done next week. With any luck we can leave at the end of Feb. and at the latest by the 1st week in March. The first eye has gone so well, I am trusting that the second one will be as easy to heal.

I got so motivated today after reading this thread that I picked up some baby beef liver at the market this morning so we can have liver and onions for dinner!

LW888
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Thanks CFrance. I just have to get the OK to travel after my second cataract is done next week. With any luck we can leave at the end of Feb. and at the latest by the 1st week in March. The first eye has gone so well, I am trusting that the second one will be as easy to heal.

I got so motivated today after reading this thread that I picked up some baby beef liver at the market this morning so we can have liver and onions for dinner!

LW888
I may not be able to wait either. The only thing that stops me is cleaning up the stovetop.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

try Wolfy's in Leesburg. Really good liver and onions.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Liver and Onions available every Friday night at SonRise Cafe in Southern Trace Plaza, even have bacon if you want...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.