Miller's Ale House - Lady Lake

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2021, 04:50 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

What is an appropriate tip? Many servers expect a 20% tip . Some provide substandard service and then call out the customer for being cheap! It's obvious the bartender doesn't know the Never Have Your boyfriend/ girlfriend at the bar.. He also shouldn't be spewing his problems out loud. According to your report the Ale house needs to clean house!
Old 03-23-2021, 04:57 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
This young lady had her shoes off, sitting on her legs, short jean cutoffs with large tattoo on her upper leg. Not a manager.... at least not on duty. Pretty sure not an employee of this restaurant.

Maybe not his girl friend but a friend.

The whining about no tipping was secondary to the dementia comment. We left without having dinner after that comment and will think hard about returning. Hopefully neither of them have someone they care about suffer from dementia.
make a comment here: Miller's Ale House Guest Feedback - Welcome
Old 03-23-2021, 05:08 AM
Veteran member

I had an experience there a month ago. I had ordered a Prime Rib weekday special, (BTW I've had before it is excellent) to-go for pickup late at night near closing. About 15 minutes before I was ready to leave they called me and told me they had run out. OK no biggie. I had canned Chef Boyardee ravioli, to go with my bottle of 2010 Bordeaux instead. The next day I received an email request for a rating. So I replied, giving them a low rating, not really complaining but saying they should have estimated their supplies better. No sooner than I had hit the send button and the General Manager immediately called me and profusely apologized and sent me a 25.00 gift card.

Millers is a great restaurant and a wonderful addition to the area. The burgers are huge, the best I've had recently. The Mahi-Mahi sandwich is outstanding. Good selection of beers at a fair price. Service has always been great and the food is consistently good.

Squeaky wheel theory gets the gift card.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
sounds like the barkeep is an unhappy person...most likely through no fault other than is own...and in the wrong line of work

he's missing out on a lot of great conversations and the ability to create 'a following' as a result of his narrow mindedness

I've seen a lot of barkeeps in my day, some worked it like a Hollywood actor and were handsomely rewarded for their performance by the patrons and then there were the others that just seemed to go through the motions

...IMHO tending bar is 1/3rd knowing how to make a good drink, and 2/3'rds being alert and knowing how to work the crowd...it's all theatre

the secret to happiness is to go forward with joy, rather than going forward seeking joy
If I want a performance I’ll turn on my television or go to a play. I don’t want a bartender to perform. If it’s “all theatre,” the drinks will probably be poorly measured and mixed and won’t taste right. If I’m paying $10 or more for a fine cocktail, I expect it to be perfect: accurately measured, fresh ingredients (no margarita mix or bottle simple syrup or factory reconstituted lemon juice), top shelf liquor. I don’t want the glass to be sticky because the bartender poured six drinks at once from a bottle without measuring.

(But if it’s not that sort of place and it’s two-fers, I usually just a gin and tonic from the well or something like that, as I’m not sure a mixed drink there will follow the recipe exactly.)

But I tip really well and have only scorn for those who don’t tip or carefully count out ten percent of the cost of a beer as a tip. People need to make a living.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:50 AM

This is a common complaint among the wait staff near here. There have been several stories about cheap Villagers who leave little, if any, tip. There must be some truth to it.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:20 AM
Default No tip

No wonder he gets lousy tips.

Quote:
We stopped in Saturday night and sat in the bar. The restaurant was crowded. We have been there before and always had a nice experience.

The bar tender was complaining under his breath to his girl friend who was sitting at the bar by herself about the "cheap" Villagers who would take up his seats and not tip. He went on to say every month they (Villagers) come to the car show at Spanish Springs and then crowd the restaurant not tipping.

His girl friend was taking up a bar seat with her lap top, phone and book open and did not order anything while we were there.

The two of them continued to complain about the guests saying they attend the car show looking at the same cars every month "but they all have dementia so they (Villagers) think the cars are different".

We found the remark rather insensitive.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:38 AM

Hopefully the owners will get wind of this and remind their employees to keep their opinions to themselves.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:52 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
We stopped in Saturday night and sat in the bar. The restaurant was crowded. We have been there before and always had a nice experience.

The bar tender was complaining under his breath to his girl friend who was sitting at the bar by herself about the "cheap" Villagers who would take up his seats and not tip. He went on to say every month they (Villagers) come to the car show at Spanish Springs and then crowd the restaurant not tipping.

His girl friend was taking up a bar seat with her lap top, phone and book open and did not order anything while we were there.

The two of them continued to complain about the guests saying they attend the car show looking at the same cars every month "but they all have dementia so they (Villagers) think the cars are different".

I guess the truth hurts many people. Tip like you should and you will have a happy employee who will go out ofhis way for you. Be cheap and leave a lousy tip or no tip then know that you deserve his comments. And there are MANY cheap Villagers. I have never had an issue and tip very well. Believe me, the workers remember you and treat you very well. Dont tip and you would actually expect anything but the bare minimum?
Old 03-23-2021, 07:09 AM

An interesting post. Yes, the bartender and the woman were both very wrong, regardless of her affiliation to him or the bar. Their behavior is quite inappropriate.
All of that being said why post this here. Tell the manager or investigate snd inform the owner.

On the other side, there is always some truth to complaints like this. Perhaps those of you that do not respect service industry workers, should start tipping. These people are often, depending on the state, paid less than minimum wage and they work for tips. They are not you servants, yip them.

If they were absolutely rude or terrible then leave them a dime.

If they tried but they just did not get the job done give them 10-15%.

If they were friendly, responsive and helpful then offer them 20-25%.

Stop being such a grouchy old fart and recognize their efforts, they work much harder than you think.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

I presume most bartenders are pretty smart because I have to remember a few hundred recipes for drinks, however this bartender obviously will never get anywhere and has a bad attitude in life. Personally if I heard that I'd get up walk up to the maitri day or manager I mentioned to him that the bartender has a bad attitude. In actuality maybe it's hard to get decent help these days. But I guarantee the bartender is getting pretty good earnings from a filled up restaurant. He doesn't know how hard it is to work for a living like being a carpenter or bricklayer in the hot sun in the summer in Florida. Oh and by the way I would talk to the bartender and tell him he should quit as obviously he doesn't know how lucky he is to have a job in today's world
Old 03-23-2021, 08:17 AM

The last sentence is rather funny I thought. Ad to tipping I think although in general he's right. In part that's why katie beles is gone. People go in and sit and don't consume. I have been surprised how some tip terribly. Shame on them.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
Bartender prob. mad because he's not sitting home like his friend getting enhanced unemployment and minimum monthly income.
And the Winner is!!!
Old 03-23-2021, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Next time you leave, leave him a Nickle tip!
Old 03-23-2021, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1701 View Post
This is a common complaint among the wait staff near here. There have been several stories about cheap Villagers who leave little, if any, tip. There must be some truth to it.
I don't think so. My friends and I tip 20 to 30% and on occasion I have tipped 75%. I'm thinking some of this complaint of low or no tips may come from some of the less affluent locals nearby. There are plenty of non-Villager people that come here. This bar-keep needs to get another trade.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:28 AM

You reap what you sow.... A smile, a happy thought to your customer.... tips appear like magic.... distracted by your girlfriend..... no tip.... Always made "bank" bartending by being smart..... not everyone is smart....lol!
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, villagers, girl, cars, friend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.