Mission BBQ

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2023, 07:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Inquiring Minds want to kno.......................what was in the empty store-front behind MBBQ??
Earth Fare
Old 05-23-2023, 07:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeref View Post
Yes, well put. Or Baby Killer at Logan Airport
Does one Village entertainer understand
That when he ask virtually everybody to stand for the Lee Greenwood type anthem when the person next to you that you don’t know might have been at Logan ?
We have eaten at Mission before they open in TV. Meat is always smoked perfectly, and best Mac & Cheese I have ever had.

I arrived in Detroit, people yelling baby killer, spitting on my family and me. No one would hire me tearing up applications in front of me, not because I wasn’t qualified, but I was a VN vet. After 5 months a few very wise Doctors told me not to admit, and remove “boots” in mash units in rocket alley. Offered 3 jobs soon as I did.

Over 45 years I kept quiet, but places like Mission BBQ bring us in the light.

My best moments at Mission was a 5yo little girl, came up asked if she could hug me, after I received my pin. She whispered in my ear, “my daddy says, nobody hugged you when you came home from war. I wanted to be the first.”

So good food, unbelievable great service, and sometimes the best hugs
Old 05-23-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Quite surprised how good it was.

All meat served dry, but there are six sauces to add at will.

The people were outstanding.

Try It, you will like it.

They do a nice job of honoring our military and first responders.

Thanks for the info, definitely will drive on up and give them a try.
Any place with good food and supports our vets will get my business.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post

Neither of the 2 owners are Veterans, nor do they offer a Veteran's Discount.

Seems a bit disingenuous to me.
Not all people are veterans or serve in our military. There are other ways, occupations, to serve our country and contribute to society. Your comment and criticism are unwarranted and don't show you in a construction light.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:52 AM

Best BBQ - pork or chicken and collard greens and other sides in Florida! Nothing else in the area comes close. 6 sauces plus 1 test sauce. Friendly staff also. Be there at noon and the flag and singing begins!
Old 05-23-2023, 07:59 AM
Veteran member

There brisket is off the charts best I ever tasted, was served wet.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I went there for lunch once, with two guys. I had never been there, so I ordered a barbeque platter, which I assumed would come with a few sides. No, it came with barbeque only, no sides. Then, the server came to the table and asked us if we were veterans. The other two guys said yes, and I said no. So, she brought the other two guys a free dessert, but brought me nothing. I thought that was kind of petty.
It may have been a little tacky, that said if I was one of the 2 guys with you I would have turned down the free dessert. I for one am not interested in eating in a military theme park. I always find it humorous , especially in the villages the constant search for recognition of service (hats are a big one) when most guys couldn’t wait to get out of service . The constant search for discounts , pins and participation trophies , I find a little nauseous, but HEY it works for Lee Greenwood
Old 05-23-2023, 08:18 AM
Default Mission BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post

Neither of the 2 owners are Veterans, nor do they offer a Veteran's Discount.

Seems a bit disingenuous to me.
You don’t get a discount with your regular orders. You DO get a free sandwich for military events: last Tuesday was USMC day, Saturday was Armed Forces Day where all bets got a free sandwich.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
It may have been a little tacky, that said if I was one of the 2 guys with you I would have turned down the free dessert. I for one am not interested in eating in a military theme park. I always find it humorous , especially in the villages the constant search for recognition of service (hats are a big one) when most guys couldn’t wait to get out of service . The constant search for discounts , pins and participation trophies , I find a little nauseous, but HEY it works for Lee Greenwood
You do realize there is a large percentage are retired military in TV. They took multiple years, before “They got out” They volunteered to serve their country, and stayed.

I volunteered didn’t wait for the lottery, as I stated I didn’t talk about, wear a hat or acknowledge service, to anyone including my own family, for over 45 years. Then all the cancers took parts of my life from me, and I searched for Hope to keep me alive, not free food and discounts.

So sorry in the last couple of years some of us wear a hat.

For me it’s an honor to thank that guy who wears a WW hat, otherwise how would I get to thank him for his service.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:48 AM
Sage

Well thank you for your service
Old 05-23-2023, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
At your age nausea must be a horrible feeling. I enjoy meeting fellow Marines. I enjoy volunteering my time with Veterans groups. I enjoy the brotherhood and camaraderie of those that served. Maybe the branch you served in doesn’t allow you to feel the same way. But if this is something that makes you sick, I pity you.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-23-2023, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
At your age nausea must be a horrible feeling. I enjoy meeting fellow Marines. I enjoy volunteering my time with Veterans groups. I enjoy the brotherhood and camaraderie of those that served. Maybe the branch you served in doesn’t allow you to feel the same way. But if this is something that makes you sick, I pity you.
Oh WOW ,pity me ? You want to hang out with your friends it’s okay with me . I said all the search for recognition makes me nauseous. I wasn’t going to bring it up but my first time in Vietnam was fighting with the French in 1954 after numerous years in Vietnam ,Laos and Cambodia I found myself in the last weeks before the fall trying to hold the line at different places with my brave Vietnamese paratroopers . So good luck with the hats , pins , trophies and fast food discounts. I just prefer the respect of the guys who fought on either side of me .
Old 05-23-2023, 09:30 AM
Default Petty

Quote:
I went there for lunch once, with two guys. I had never been there, so I ordered a barbeque platter, which I assumed would come with a few sides. No, it came with barbeque only, no sides. Then, the server came to the table and asked us if we were veterans. The other two guys said yes, and I said no. So, she brought the other two guys a free dessert, but brought me nothing. I thought that was kind of petty.
Their service to their country qualified as their free dessert. What did you do except whine for your participation trophy.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:10 AM

It’s confusing..
Some are saying they offer military discounts summer are saying they don’t..
If there’s three people at the table 2 getting free dessert
Does seem petty not to give it to the third person
Old 05-23-2023, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
It's not a big deal. I don't have a problem with the rule. But, most restaurants would ask everyone at the table if they wanted a dessert.
I doubt it...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
nice, outstanding, job, people, honoring

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.