Napolinos Experience

Old 03-24-2024, 06:36 AM

For a long time, I ate most of my meals in restaurants and the one thing I started to realize is that most have an expiration date.
If they're good they will start with great food and atmosphere, but as time goes by either due to costs or driven for profits both will deteriorate. Now if I want to get together with friends I will go to a restaurant and ignore the food. If I want to have a good meal, I break out the pots and pans.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhippee View Post
You are absolutely right. We've tried them all in living here 20 years. Horrible food, horrible service.
Never had a decent meal anywhere in the Villages.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:49 AM

I would beg to differ. I agree there is a problem with consistency of service and food quality but generally I’ve been well pleased.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
This was almost amusing. Went to Napolinos last night with another couple. I told the waitress I'd like chicken parm, with linguini and white clam sauce. She said it would be a $3 upcharge. I said ok. When it arrived 40 minutes later, the linguini was doused in a thick, white gravy...devoid of clams. When I pointed this out to the waitress, she said if I wanted clams in my clam sauce, I'd have to order it as a dinner. I actually laughed. First and last time for me there.
It never changes folks go to a restaurant and want non menu items added to thair order and get upset when the bill arrives with added charges, not sure haow clam sauce is a separate condiment other than prepared with a clam dinner.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Odd. ONE bad experience by ONE Villager and it gets generalized into "every restaurant in The Villages serves H__seS__t"!

The word "elitist" comes to mind.

Face it. If you're from New York and enjoy the pizza styles that New York is (justly) famed for, St. Louis or Memphis and are hankering for ribs in the style and quality that is available there, or Philadelphia which is known for quality Asian restaurants, but you live here--don't be surprised if "second best" is all you're going to get. Because you're not IN New York. Or St. Louis. Or Memphis. Or Philadelphia. Or wherever. You're in THE VILLAGES. But that doesn't mean that second best, just because it doesn't live up to whatever elitist standard is in play at the time. is hog slop. It fits the bill just fine for probably 90% of Villagers at any given time.

Maybe those elitists among us should stop looking down their noses at the restaurants in TV and surrounding communities because they don't serve what YOU think they should, and start enjoying what the South in general, and Florida in particular, has to offer. For instance some of the best seafood around in an hour's drive or less. Great Cuban food. Alligator bites. Conch Fritters. Rum cake. Things that originate here and prepared in the best ways by folks who know what they're doing and take pride it it.

The Villages ain't New York or Philly. But don't toss out blanket condemnations just because of that.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

I think your complaint is unreasonable. Linguini with white clam sauce usually runs around $18.00 to $20.00 dollars and is an entree. If I were the waitress I don't think I would have understood that you wanted a $18.00 side with your entree either. $3.00 should have given you a clue that you weren't going to get an $18.00 Linguini with clam sauce. You ordered two entrees, not an entree with a side.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Sounds like your server had no idea what you wanted when you placed your order. The server should have asked questions. Do not condemn an entire restaurant and staff on one mistake. Unless, the people who dined with you didn't like their food. If everyone in your party agrees the food was awful, then move on!

We dined there twice and have not returned. Like most Italian restaurants here, it was mediocre at best. If we want a good Italian meal, we make it at home. We purchase pasta made in Italy, choose ripe tomatoes, and use fresh spices. The quality ingredients cost much less than eating out and our meal is always superb.

IMO, you will not get FRESH at Italian restaurants in the Villages. After many years of trying, we have eliminated all of them. We only dine at restaurants where meals are made to order.
I totally agree!! The Italian food here is mediocre here. My best Italian restaurant is in our kitchen. We're both Italian, born in CT and grew up with great homemade food.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
They had one problem and fixed it.

We have been there quite a lot and enjoy it. Last night had dinner with another couple and excellent meal.
Dined there several times, always enjoyed the food and experience.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Odd. ONE bad experience by ONE Villager and it gets generalized into "every restaurant in The Villages serves H__seS__t"!

The word "elitist" comes to mind.

Face it. If you're from New York and enjoy the pizza styles that New York is (justly) famed for, St. Louis or Memphis and are hankering for ribs in the style and quality that is available there, or Philadelphia which is known for quality Asian restaurants, but you live here--don't be surprised if "second best" is all you're going to get. Because you're not IN New York. Or St. Louis. Or Memphis. Or Philadelphia. Or wherever. You're in THE VILLAGES. But that doesn't mean that second best, just because it doesn't live up to whatever elitist standard is in play at the time. is hog slop. It fits the bill just fine for probably 90% of Villagers at any given time.

Maybe those elitists among us should stop looking down their noses at the restaurants in TV and surrounding communities because they don't serve what YOU think they should, and start enjoying what the South in general, and Florida in particular, has to offer. For instance some of the best seafood around in an hour's drive or less. Great Cuban food. Alligator bites. Conch Fritters. Rum cake. Things that originate here and prepared in the best ways by folks who know what they're doing and take pride it it.

The Villages ain't New York or Philly. But don't toss out blanket condemnations just because of that.
The ‘South’ is not FL. Geographically it is but southern fare, authentic, is in the surrounding and contiguous states.

Also, your post mentions ‘things that originate here and prepared in the best ways by folks who know what they’re doing and take pride in it’......can you honestly say that the conglomerate corporate entities that set up shop here in TV.... that you patronize have that mindset in place? It’s not ‘elitist’ to expect authenticity when advertised as such and to pay a premium for that expectation only to be underwhelmed.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:20 AM

If it wasn’t a side dish listed on the menu, you get whatever they serve.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:21 AM
Sage

ThirdofFive said it the best!! You left "there" for "here" and expect "here" to be like "there"!!! This "IS" the south and it "IS" Florida. So many "expert" food afficiandos seem to gravitate to being food critics....Wonder if they were happy where they came from??
Old 03-24-2024, 07:24 AM

I was at Napolino’s on Thursday night, and their special was butterfish. It was excellent
Quote:
This was almost amusing. Went to Napolinos last night with another couple. I told the waitress I'd like chicken parm, with linguini and white clam sauce. She said it would be a $3 upcharge. I said ok. When it arrived 40 minutes later, the linguini was doused in a thick, white gravy...devoid of clams. When I pointed this out to the waitress, she said if I wanted clams in my clam sauce, I'd have to order it as a dinner. I actually laughed. First and last time for me there.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:26 AM

Who eats linguine and clam sauce with chicken parmigiana?
Old 03-24-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
So many "expert" food afficiandos seem to gravitate to being food critics....Wonder if they were happy where they came from??
I was going to comment about the BBQ bologna in central Florida not being up to par compared to home but I think I will keep it to myself.....
Old 03-24-2024, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
ThirdofFive said it the best!! You left "there" for "here" and expect "here" to be like "there"!!! This "IS" the south and it "IS" Florida. So many "expert" food afficiandos seem to gravitate to being food critics....Wonder if they were happy where they came from??
Many were, and are happy where they came from. Many split time between ‘there’ and here. If you chose to anchor down in one location (TV), then your comments make sense. You get what you get and assimilate to the mediocrity. Buon Appetito!

Tags
clams, sauce, clam, white, linguini

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.