New Farmshed Restaurant in SS

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2021, 03:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

re this topic (and so many others on ToTV), from me - "Que Sera Sera" or "What ever Floats Your Boat".

I try my best to either not 'look down one's nose' or worse... 'look up one's nose'.

enough idioms, but you catch my drift.

ok, NOW I'm done.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:30 PM

We had dinner at the new Farmshed in there soft opening. They are working on some changes. You need to give them a chance! The meals were well seasoned! Entrees come with a one side dish. The side dish will feed two people and the entree portions are generous. Yes the prices seem a little high but I could barely finish my meal. Good service was included and we had an opportunity to speak with the manager who was pleasant. Theyare adding bread service as well. The fried chicken came with three pieces. I loved it as it was crunchy and not greasy. The crunch May not be for everyone but I happened to enjoy it. Nothing worse than limp greasy fried chicken. Take a deep breath and give them a chance.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf6969 View Post
Can build that burger better at home for less than 2 bucks.
You can also mow your own lawn for less than $50 a month. But maybe you just don't wanna.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
I ate at Farmshed last night. Food and service were good. Pricing is higher than many but certainly not all places in The Villages.

The menu is a bit limited but my guess is that is because they are trying using only locally sourced fresh ingredients.

My only complaint is that I asked for my steak to be cooked medium but it was closer to rare than medium.

I don't know if they will make a go of it or not. The limited menu and prices seem to work against that.

What they to seem promote about their restaurant is that all the ingredients are locally sourced directly from farms. The fact a restaurant sources direct from farms would never draw me to it but I know there are many who see this as a plus.

I think this local sourcing thing is what limits their menu and sets their prices.

I'm am going to go back and try a burger there but I don't think that this will every be one of my "go to" restaurants.

YMMV
The incoming generation of Villagers has much more exposure to the idea of local sourcing. A recent (previous) generation considered smoked gouda mac & cheese to be the epitome of sophistication and quality food. Another generation post-mine (post-boomer) thought whipped whale sperm on crostini would make a great amuse bouche. And yet another brought sushi into the mainstream (I still reject that completely).

Local sourcing is another trend, and has been for several years in most metropolitan areas of the country. In Connecticut, we've had Claire's vegetarian restaurant for a few decades, and they practically invented the local sourcing concept up there; they have always preferred local sourcing whenever possible (and they make ALL their breads, sauces, pastries, cakes, other desserts, dressings, croutons, from scratch).

Just because you haven't ever heard of the idea doesn't mean it's a bad one. It just means you need to catch up
Old 05-19-2021, 06:48 PM

As long as there are enough customers who will submit to being overcharged at a restaurant, the establishment can survive. However, eventually the high prices usually results in an erosion of support.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Just because you haven't ever heard of the idea doesn't mean it's a bad one. It just means you need to catch up
Just to be clear I know about local sourcing and I never said it was in any way bad.

We had a number of restaurants we went to in MA, starting about 25 years ago, that used local sourcing including listing the farm that that meat or vegetable or cheese came from in their menu. And of we did some of our food shopping directly from the farms in the area, including one whose cows sometimes wandered into our yard. We often bought our wine from the vineyard/winery that was down the street. We often bought our meat from a slaughter house that serviced the farms in the area.

I did not say local sourcing was bad, I said "it was not a plus for me but that I know for many others it is a plus." We went to the restaurants that did local sourcing because they had good food and good service not because they locally sourced..

And, by the way, some of the worst meat we every bought was locally sourced from a farm in the town next to us.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:43 PM
Gold member

You could have fooled me. When Lopez reopened after a million dollar + renovation, they wanted to be a high end restaurant. The people here complained and moaned because they had a 42 dollar steak on the menu. In the end, they were forced to downgrade their menu to what everybody else in The Villages serves. Villagers will not spend 16 bucks for a burger no matter the quality, but WOB will be packed on Monday for their 5.99 burger special
Old 05-20-2021, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Hacienda Hills Country Club building was torn down because it was not maintained properly AND they leased it to a business that totally ran it into the ground.
And people did not go there!!!!
Old 05-20-2021, 12:58 PM

Two Yogi quotes that fit this subject:

"No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

"If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be."
Old 05-20-2021, 01:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadu View Post
And people did not go there!!!!

And they did not go there because the food was not good due to the renter The Villages chose, and the building was not maintained, also by The Villages.

Would you have gone there?

It is not the “people’s” fault that it was dozed.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
And they did not go there because the food was not good due to the renter The Villages chose, and the building was not maintained, also by The Villages.

Would you have gone there?

It is not the “people’s” fault that it was dozed.
It sound like you do not like the villages
Old 05-20-2021, 02:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The incoming generation of Villagers has much more exposure to the idea of local sourcing. A recent (previous) generation considered smoked gouda mac & cheese to be the epitome of sophistication and quality food. Another generation post-mine (post-boomer) thought whipped whale sperm on crostini would make a great amuse bouche. And yet another brought sushi into the mainstream (I still reject that completely).

Local sourcing is another trend, and has been for several years in most metropolitan areas of the country. In Connecticut, we've had Claire's vegetarian restaurant for a few decades, and they practically invented the local sourcing concept up there; they have always preferred local sourcing whenever possible (and they make ALL their breads, sauces, pastries, cakes, other desserts, dressings, croutons, from scratch).

I’m sure it’s unintended, but sometimes the tone is rather condescending. Is that really necessary?
Old 05-20-2021, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

To me the only posts on this thread that are worth a damn, are from folks that have visited the place…….
Old 05-20-2021, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts
Default Bonefish, ChoHouse and Blue Fin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
You could have fooled me. When Lopez reopened after a million dollar + renovation, they wanted to be a high end restaurant. The people here complained and moaned because they had a 42 dollar steak on the menu. In the end, they were forced to downgrade their menu to what everybody else in The Villages serves. Villagers will not spend 16 bucks for a burger no matter the quality, but WOB will be packed on Monday for their 5.99 burger special
serve a great hamburger in the $15 to $16 range and worth every penny, some people buy there clothes at discount stores others prefer high end stores trashing each other for there preferences makes no sense . There are lots of people with money here who like to spend it and lots of people who have money that don’t spend it. I was one of those people who liked to spend it even when I didn’t have it now I have it and I spend as much of it as I can as fast as I can lol
Old 05-20-2021, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
serve a great hamburger in the $15 to $16 range and worth every penny, some people buy there clothes at discount stores others prefer high end stores trashing each other for there preferences makes no sense . There are lots of people with money here who like to spend it and lots of people who have money that don’t spend it. I was one of those people who liked to spend it even when I didn’t have it now I have it and I spend as much of it as I can as fast as I can lol
Yup. I can't afford a designer home - or even a site-built home. I can't afford a nice car. I can't afford to travel overseas, and I can't even afford a river cruise.

But I can certainly afford a decent burger that someone else has to cook, serve me, and clean up after once in awhile.
Closed Thread

Tags
farmshed, area, restaurant, $20, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.