New Farmshed Restaurant in SS

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2021, 09:30 AM

We went Saturday after golf for lunch and the restaurant is certainly not a Diner.We had the burger and fries and it was good. I thought the grilled cheese sandwich at $16.95 was a bit much and $3.75 for iced tea was high.Liked the service and table cloths and will go back and try dinner sometime.I think it’s more of a dinner restaurant than lunch.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:32 AM

That "fresh food" always costs more, so it's a person's choice to pay the price or not. I, personally would not, but that's my choice!!
Old 05-19-2021, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

I obtained a copy of their menu the other night out of curiosity. When I saw the prices, I was amazed that they were that high. I'm not a cheapskate, but for someone to charge those prices for their food, well, their food has to be something that is fantastic, and beats all the other restaurants for flavor, quality and service.
I'll probably try them out, but will reserve judgement until I do.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:51 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

An 8 oz. Filet Mignon with any side for $26.95 looks like a deal to me!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-19-2021, 10:24 AM
Default Chicken Thighs

I do not consider chicken thighs as a high end food. The patrons will make have a big influence of whether they make it or break it. I wish we had some nice restaurants (not a Chain) on 466A instead of fast food.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:36 AM

I so totally agree.. give it a good chance..look at Blue Fin and Chop House... so good.. can’t wait to try new place...
Old 05-19-2021, 10:49 AM

So your convinced they will lower prices? A glitch to me is long waits bad fish, etc. Pricing is a decision
Old 05-19-2021, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

fresh - organic locally grown is always more. You have gotten used to cheap restaurants compared to Chicago, NYC or Los Angeles. Even BBQ ribs elsewhere are 50% higher. no one forces you to eat out. Savalot is $ 1.99 for chop meat and publix is $ 4.99.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:55 AM

I agree with let others be happy but I disagree on the country clubs. Hacienda in recent years before closing was medicine at best. No other clubs have been closed. I think hacienda fit a developers wish list and here we are.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:02 PM
Default Great food.

If you can’t pay for it then go to McD’s. I have no problem paying for good food. And they have great food. I’ve only eaten there once but the shrimp and Grits where really good. So I don’t think that you should bash the place if your not able or willing to pay for it.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
I don’t know where the new Farmshed Restaurant in Spanish Springs thought they were locating, but their prices are ridiculously high for that area. $16 for a hamburger when there are several places in the area MUCH cheaper. Fried chicken (thighs) $20. A side order of fries $6. And if the menu on their web site is complete, it is extremely limited. I hope they signed a short lease.
Hopefully they will pay their employees well.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:24 PM

16 dollar bloody Mary? For one? I must be living in the past. Lol
Old 05-19-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well if the hamburger pictured is the one for $16, it looks like it may be worth it.

Farmshed American Diner
Comparing the menu burgers to the burger pic on their website it appears the website burger pic is not on the menu. It appears a single burger, no cheese, but with condiments is $15.95...add cheese and your burger is now $17.70...but hey, it comes with fries! But wait! Palmer cheeseburgers are $15, and Lopez burgers are $11 and they both come with fries too. IMHO, a burger is a burger is a burger, unless it's fast food crap and that doesn't count.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
I don’t know where the new Farmshed Restaurant in Spanish Springs thought they were locating, but their prices are ridiculously high for that area. $16 for a hamburger when there are several places in the area MUCH cheaper. Fried chicken (thighs) $20. A side order of fries $6. And if the menu on their web site is complete, it is extremely limited. I hope they signed a short lease.
I think the menu looks promising, so I will try it soon, and if the food is excellent, I’ll go back now and then. Restaurants figure out their costs compared to what the market will bear. The new owners live here, and I wish them well. I’m sure they’ve done their homework, and they think they can make a go of it. You can go to Perkin’s or Denny’s a few blocks away and get what you want at the price you are willing to pay. However, the fried chicken meal comes with the chicken breaded, flash frozen, and sealed in a single-serving plastic envelope in some other state. That’s why it is cheap, always the same, and not all that good. Those restaurants use pre-packed frozen food wherever possible.

Fried chicken soaked, breaded, and made on the spot costs more and may taste better. (McCalls can do a chicken dinner made on premises for $11, somehow.) Rent for a restaurant property on the square is expensive. For that $16 burger, it may be that $3 goes to the property owner. At airports even more goes to the owner, which is why food is more expensive there.

I happen to think The Villages needs more high end restaurants with outstanding food that are not part of a chain. People drive here from Ocala to enjoy our town squares and dance. Why should we need to drive to Ocala to get a top-notch restaurant? I happen to wish we had a really good Indian buffet here, or even a small but very good Indian restaurant, and I know many of my friends agree, but maybe there aren’t enough of us. I’d also like a good Szechuan restaurant. I’d settle for a good Chinese buffet with chefs who know how to cook spicy dishes instead of the usual bland south Chinese food.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post
I do not consider chicken thighs as a high end food. The patrons will make have a big influence of whether they make it or break it. I wish we had some nice restaurants (not a Chain) on 466A instead of fast food.
Chicken Thighs are considered the most flavorful part of the chicken by gourmet chefs.

Tags
farmshed, area, restaurant, $20, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.