New Irish Pub

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Gold member

We just got back from 8 days in Ireland. I had fish chowder in four places, had fish & chips in four places, plus lamb stew, and steak. My wife had shepherds pie, bacon & cabbage (ham steak), and steak a couple of times. Some was good and some was fair by our standards. That does not mean that the Irish can't cook good Irish food. It means that people's tastes vary.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 PM

New menus in today. MUCH larger print. Thank you for taking your time to respond to me.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:34 AM

Haven't eaten there yet - it's on our "to do" list, but I think it's great that the management is participating on TOTV and is so responsive. Personally, I think if that's how he runs his business, it's going to be a success. Look forward to dining there.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Gold member

We ate there the other day and really enjoyed our food. The young man that took care of us was wonderful...his name is Matt and he made our dinner even better!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsheasMike View Post
As the General Manager of O'Shea's Sports Pub, we would like to thank all the Villagers for visiting our humble restaurant. In reading your posts we have learned the things we need to improve on and the things we do well. Each and every post is a learning lesson that we take seriously. If any one would like to come in and discuss anything, I personally would welcome that. Also, anyone who would like to see how we do things, such as hand peeling, cutting and mixing our mashed potatoes, may indeed do so. Again thank you for your views and opinions as they will lead us to become a place everyone is happy with. For those who we have failed, we are sorry.
Very impressed by your proactive approach. Based on the reviews I wasn't going to bother trying your restaurant. But with your enthusiasm and direction I think this place will be a sure hit and I look forward to trying it very soon.
Skip 2
Old 05-18-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsheasMike View Post
As the General Manager of O'Shea's Sports Pub, we would like to thank all the Villagers for visiting our humble restaurant. In reading your posts we have learned the things we need to improve on and the things we do well. Each and every post is a learning lesson that we take seriously. If any one would like to come in and discuss anything, I personally would welcome that. Also, anyone who would like to see how we do things, such as hand peeling, cutting and mixing our mashed potatoes, may indeed do so. Again thank you for your views and opinions as they will lead us to become a place everyone is happy with. For those who we have failed, we are sorry.
Mike,

Appreciate your taking the time to respond in a responsible manner. I have no question that your response about making the mashed potatoes from scratch is honest and correct. From my perspective, they looked and tasted much differently from the mashed potatoes I get at home. Perhaps the method of mashing/preparing is the issue. Perhaps everyone doesn't do it the way I would by first draining the potatoes completly, then whipping them with butter and milk If you do that they will be much firmer and visually appealing than what I found on top of my Shepard's Pie. Bottom line, to me is they honestly tasted like they were Instant Potatoes. I'm sure you can improve the process, especially after taking the time to peel and cook fresh potatoes..
Old 05-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran View Post
We went last Sat late afternoon and I had the sheperds pie, it wass quite good. But, my husband and friend ordered the Irish Stew, it was bad, my daughter tasted it and agreed, so they both sent it back and split a rueben which was not very good. I guess can happen but my husband won't go back.
I hope you take the time to talk with them. They are working really hard to have a good quality restaurant that everyone will enjoy.
I'm sure they would appreciate your comments.
Have a wonderful day !
Old 05-18-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball View Post
Mike,

Appreciate your taking the time to respond in a responsible manner. I have no question that your response about making the mashed potatoes from scratch is honest and correct. From my perspective, they looked and tasted much differently from the mashed potatoes I get at home. Perhaps the method of mashing/preparing is the issue. Perhaps everyone doesn't do it the way I would by first draining the potatoes completly, then whipping them with butter and milk If you do that they will be much firmer and visually appealing than what I found on top of my Shepard's Pie. Bottom line, to me is they honestly tasted like they were Instant Potatoes. I'm sure you can improve the process, especially after taking the time to peel and cook fresh potatoes..
That is the exact process we use except for the fact we use heavy whipping cream. To let you in on a little known secret, most restaurants add instant to their mashed for holding purposes. We do not, our mashed are made everyday fresh as they will not hold. I am very sorry that you did not like them. Hopefully you will give us another try, please ask for me and I will have my Chef prepare you a Sheppard's Pie personally. Thank you for your comments as it had us reviewing our procedures to create the best dish possible for you and all our guests.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum member

Mike,
Loved your fish & chips when we were there. Service was great.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Eternal Member

I loved the Shepherd's Pie & the Reuben was delish !!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Mike I respect you coming on here and responding to some of these posts.
However, as a long time reader of TOTV posts you will not satisfy all of the people. Some people just know you are taking short cuts and "not doing it like" I do it at home.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
Very impressed by your proactive approach. Based on the reviews I wasn't going to bother trying your restaurant. But with your enthusiasm and direction I think this place will be a sure hit and I look forward to trying it very soon.
Skip 2
I think that is a mistake.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Tried it and I will be back . . . good fish and chips and some good English and Irish beers (ales) to go with it!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 PM

Went twice. Had the Reuben and it was delicious. Went 2nd time with 14 people, half of them liked it, half not. Have to say the Irish Stew was delicious, but small serving. Shepherds pie was loved by all that had it. Plan on going again. Not to worry, if restaurant is not good, word spreads and they go out of business pretty fast. We have found you need to give a place a coupe of tries, they all have "not so good" days.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Sage
Default Yummy!

On Sunday, 5/19, 3 of us had the shepherd's pie at O'Sheas. It was delicious, and the service was good. I would definitely return to O'Shea's on my next visit to The Villages!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.