New King Fu Chef restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2023, 08:11 AM
Smile New King Fu Chef restaurant

My wife and I ate at the new Kung Fu Chef Chinese restaurant at Southern Trace yesterday. The food was better than most Chinese offerings in The Villages but not fantastic. The purpose of this post is just to inform customers that the portion sizes are HUGE! Consider splitting an entree if two people. My wife had the sweet and sour chicken and I had the “happy family”—each of the meals could have served three people.
Old 06-28-2023, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Looking forward to Gen Mao Chicken
Old 06-28-2023, 11:10 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,777 Times in 515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
My wife and I ate at the new Kung Fu Chef Chinese restaurant at Southern Trace yesterday. The food was better than most Chinese offerings in The Villages but not fantastic. The purpose of this post is just to inform customers that the portion sizes are HUGE! Consider splitting an entree if two people. My wife had the sweet and sour chicken and I had the “happy family”—each of the meals could have served three people.
Same folks who previously owned Koyame near the hospital.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:52 PM
Default Yuch

Was our favorite Chinese restaurant up until last week. If you go to Sumter County health dept website and look for the restaurant inspection section you’ll likely never even walk past the place again.

Cockroaches both dead and alive is only the start. Probably the highest amount of “major” violations of any restaurant in the county.

Some other interesting poorly health rated restaurants including some country clubs. Mallory CC was a surprise.

Not talking about little stuff but gross health violations.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyHarris View Post
Was our favorite Chinese restaurant up until last week. If you go to Sumter County health dept website and look for the restaurant inspection section you’ll likely never even walk past the place again.

Cockroaches both dead and alive is only the start. Probably the highest amount of “major” violations of any restaurant in the county.

Some other interesting poorly health rated restaurants including some country clubs. Mallory CC was a surprise.

Yep! When I read a new Kungfu was opening, my stomach churned. I read their health violations. Did they close the one to open another? Maybe the cause of the violations were the fault of the landlord. But, I am not going to test that theory any time soon.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,125 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:

So why was it not closed?
Old 09-09-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Yep! When I read a new Kungfu was opening, my stomach churned. I read their health violations. Did they close the one to open another? Maybe the cause of the violations were the fault of the landlord. But, I am not going to test that theory any time soon.
But sadly the food was the best.
Maybe the extra roach protein added flavor??
Old 09-09-2023, 09:37 AM

@@@ duplicate sorry
Old 09-09-2023, 10:05 AM
Sage

Last night at a club they served food from Kung Fu.

When we went there a month or so ago thought food was excellent.

Last night both mine and my wifes dishes were totally tasteless.

Will give them another try down the road a bit but if this happens again we have other places to go.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

I read the Health Dept. report on the Kung Fu Chef inspection. Pretty lurid. A lot of the more egregious stuff (like putting cooked food into a container that had contained raw chicken) can be chalked up to poor staff training, but there is some stuff that might only indirectly reflect on the staff.

Most Chinese restaurants seem to be more alike than different. Because of that I used to joke with my wife about the best time to eat at any of them was the day after the truck got there (the implication being that since the food was so similar restaurant-to-restaurant, most of them got their food off the same truck and it would be the freshest at that time). Then one day I actually saw the truck, or more likely one of a fleet of similar trucks! Red semi with a golden dragon on the door. At any rate a group of us from work, quite a few years back, had lunch at a local Chinese restaurant, and a co-worker found a beetle in her hot-and-sour soup. She called it to the attention of the waitress. "Sometimes they're in the cans when we open them" was her response. Apparently it wasn't unheard-of to find a dead bug or two in the bags of rice that were shipped to this restaurant as well.

The thought of that used to bother me, but not so much any more.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 09-09-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:30 PM

Worth noting that one of The Villages Country Club Restaurants was also cited within a week or so of Kung Fu Chef- for Major citations as well. I don't recall the name of the place.

I would think that for every restaurant cited there are one or more that are just as bad who have yet to be caught. The inspectors here seem to take their job seriously, as evidenced by how often these bad inspections appear in the news. In Mass. we had just as many restaurants but rarely found a story of a violation.

I think that human nature dictates that Kung Fu Chef will be extra careful going forward knowing they will be on the inspector's radar. I plan to give them another chance. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe what I have heard all my life, "If you saw what happens in restaurants you would never eat out".
Old 09-13-2023, 02:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

I was so happy when I found this restaurant, until I read the health inspection report.
Putting cooked food in container that contained raw chicken, lack of hand washing after
going to dumpster, etc. This is way over what this germphobe finds acceptable.
I’m talking about basic cleanliness here.

Last edited by patfla06; 09-16-2023 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 03:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,978 Times in 757 Posts

King Fu open about 6 months and breading roaches along with food violations not good.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
King Fu open about 6 months and breading roaches along with food violations not good.
They bread the roaches? Yuck.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:

As a retired commercial plumbing contractor, there are not many restaurants that you would eat at if you knew what was going on.
Closed Thread

Tags
chinese, wife, restaurant, chef, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.