New Owners Have Taken Over At Cane Garden

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Not a rumor a fact that Cane Garden was sold by The Villages to new owners in Feb. Louis. the chef, was named general manager but then let go this past weekend.
They are closing down for 2 weeks in September for a redo and had a meeting with contractors about doing something with the outside possibly closing it in which would really help during "bird" season crowds. Lots of new faces with waitstaff.
The chef let go? SAY IT AIN’T SO
Old 05-06-2019, 10:16 AM

I recently went there (Cane Garden) for breakfast. I brought my own coffee because theirs is not very good (like most places in TV) and I'm a total coffee snob. I politely asked for a cup of coffee just hold the coffee. In other words, I would pay for a cup of coffee but use my own. The waitress immediately got snotty with me and ran off. No cup arrived but the manager did and proceeded to tell me their policy did not allow anyone to bring coffee in. I very nicely asked if she would like me to take mine back out to my car, which I did. I then proceeded to join up with my friends and had a very pleasant albiet mediocre breakfast. Doubt that I'll return.

Last edited by Win1894; 05-06-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:30 PM

What's broken are the hostesses. They are often rude and unfriendly and act as if they really hate their job.
PLEASE... hire some hostesses who actually can treat villagers in a polite and friendly manner instead of acting like they are doing us a huge favor!
Old 05-06-2019, 02:32 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by croughwell View Post
What's broken are the hostesses. They are often rude and unfriendly and act as if they really hate their job.
PLEASE... hire some hostesses who actually can treat villagers in a polite and friendly manner instead of acting like they are doing us a huge favor!

Someone having a bad day???................the staff has always been great. The staff is 1/2 of the experience, the food being the other 1/2. Been there many a time and will return.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Platinum member

I agree about the hostesses. There are a couple of new ones that have a rather grumpy attitude. Not the best way to start your day.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Why are the Morses allowing these mediocre restaurant owners to take over?

Yes. I said it. Me. Who stands up for the developer all of the time.

My uneducated guess would be that the almighty dollar has something to do with it.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
My uneducated guess would be that the almighty dollar has something to do with it.
I think they can't find anyone who is willing to commit to a five year lease who knows that Villagers do not want to spend a lot on food. I think that soon all of the country club restaurants will fail here in The Villages.

I think that when the developer ran them it was good but we will have to guess that they were augmented with his money to keep them going. What people want and are willing to pay for are two different things. Young and inexperienced help coupled with pre-prepared food often results in failure. There is nothing wrong with using pre-prepared food if overseen by someone who knows how to cook. We don't have to chop the carrot to enjoy eating it.

I don't think we can pass third and blame it on greed. I think that the developer is like anyone else in business and has a profit margin in mind. That is how it works.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

Update on New Owners of Cane Garden. It was said they are not making many changes. Really? Check it out. Long time Chef Louis was let go two weeks ago. Unbelievable. Most of the bartenders are gone and many of the wait staff are new. Food is going down hill in my opinion.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think they can't find anyone who is willing to commit to a five year lease who knows that Villagers do not want to spend a lot on food. I think that soon all of the country club restaurants will fail here in The Villages.

I think that when the developer ran them it was good but we will have to guess that they were augmented with his money to keep them going. What people want and are willing to pay for are two different things. Young and inexperienced help coupled with pre-prepared food often results in failure. There is nothing wrong with using pre-prepared food if overseen by someone who knows how to cook. We don't have to chop the carrot to enjoy eating it.

I don't think we can pass third and blame it on greed. I think that the developer is like anyone else in business and has a profit margin in mind. That is how it works.
When we moved here in 2010, we found that the CCs were the places that we wanted to eat. I now find that for various reason that interest has waned and we find the restaurants that we frequent are either outside of "the bubble" or inside, but not in CC bldgs. I believe that there is probably not enough demand, especially after snowbird exodus , to support more than half of the CCs . Gracie may ultimately be correct.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I went there Sunday afternoon.. It was busy, but no wait. Got the last available seat at the bar. Asked if they still had the Sunday Turkey Dinner. Answer yes. Ordered it .. Ten minutes later she asked if I wanted any food . Smiled and said I ordered the turkey dinner. 3 minutes later I had my hot food. If I hadnt read all this complaining, I wouldnt know anyone different was preparing the food. When I was done, asked if they still had the dump cake dessert included. Answer .. yes .. Just as good as before. Any difference in the service from people behind the bar ? Nope .. Any difference in the pour ? Nope .. Many people at the bar chomping on those chicken wings ..they seemed pretty happy .. But I didnt see anyone bring their own bottle or their own mug of coffee either .. I'll be back
Old 05-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Mrs. KC and I went there last week and it was the same great food, as it's always been.

FWIW, I seem to think that the complainers, along with the golf course condition complainers, have standards that are set way too high to enjoy everyday life.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Always been our favorite, I hope nothing changes.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Louis the Chef-manager who was there from the beginning and made the food so good was let go 2 weeks ago. Sad day at Cane. Where have all the old employees gone?

Last edited by bilcon; 05-08-2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We went to Cane Garden last night and I had the special for Tuesday night, the queen size Prime Rib.... . Asked for generous amount of horseradish sour cream sauce, got it. Nice baked potato with sour cream and butter. I indulged. It was very good. The vegetables, green beans, cabbage and zucchini was not cooked quite enough to please this old fashioned cook.

I saw THREE of the staff who had always been there and one came to hug me.

All seems well at Cane Garden. So glad to report.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win1894 View Post
I recently went there (Cane Garden) for breakfast. I brought my own coffee because theirs is not very good (like most places in TV) and I'm a total coffee snob. I politely asked for a cup of coffee just hold the coffee. In other words, I would pay for a cup of coffee but use my own. The waitress immediately got snotty with me and ran off. No cup arrived but the manager did and proceeded to tell me their policy did not allow anyone to bring coffee in. I very nicely asked if she would like me to take mine back out to my car, which I did. I then proceeded to join up with my friends and had a very pleasant albiet mediocre breakfast. Doubt that I'll return.
For the benefit of valuemkt here is how the above situation should have been handled in a world of excellent customer service.
Manager arrives at my table with two empty coffee cups.
Manager: Good morning Mr. Jones, how are you?
Mr. Jones: Fine, thank you - another great day in The Villages
Mgr: Yes, indeed. Your waitress said you wanted an empty coffee cup, and you told her our coffee is not to your liking.
Mr. J: That’s right. It’s next to impossible to get a good cup of coffee in TV - and I offered to pay for the coffee.
Mgr.: Yes, I know and you’re right about the coffee here. May I try some of yours?
Mr. J: Sure, here you go. (Mr. J pours the mgr. a cup of coffee from his thermos)
Mgr.: Wow, that is really good coffee! Do you think you could tell us how to improve our coffee?
Mr. J: Sure, I’m positive I could give you several ideas. By the way, I’ve travelled extensively throughout the world, mainly in Indonesia, Eastern Africa, and Central and South America, sampling a wide variety of coffees and studying coffee productions methods. I’ve written about these experiences in coffee trade journals and other gourmet publications. I’ve recently completed an article on brewing excellent coffee at home. I can provide you a copy is you’d like.
Mgr.: I’d love to read it, thanks. I’m really busy right now so can we make an appointment to meet?
Mr. J: Sure. How about this afternoon at 3?
Mrg: Perfect. I’ll look forward to seeing you then to talk coffee. I see your friends have arrived - enjoy your breakfast. Oh, and here’s your coffee cup.
Mr J.: Thanks, see you at 3.
Closed Thread

Tags
cane, garden, owner, owners, feel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.