New York Style Pizza

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
You are totally correct. But Chicago also has the best thin crust pizza, and one can be enjoyed at the Great Chicago Fire Brewery & Tap Room in Leesburg.

As far as pizza here in The Villages Giovanni's is good if you order double cheese.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I had a pizza last year at Chicago Fire in Leesburg and I agree, it's excellent. My only complaint was he only had one size, 12" which probably enough for one person, but not enough for two, and buying two is a little too much. He came on the message board and I asked about that and he said, he only has a small oven and that's the biggest he can bake.

Giovanni's is good, I agree also and it's very gooey and foldable. My favorite is at Sammy Joe's at Mulberry Plaza, it's thin, more like Chicago Fire and they have 14" and 16", we go every week or two.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Hot There View Post
Chicago, deep-dish pizza is the best.

Yup...Don't know why people bang on about NY pizza
Old 06-27-2019, 03:57 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
Nothing like Regina’s pizza in the Norh End, then off to Modern pastries on Hanover Street.
You bet! We traveled there from NH and often stood in a line, outside, in frigid and windy weather to have Regina's pizza. It was worth the shivering!
Old 06-27-2019, 06:00 PM

Well, Sammy's Italian on rt 301 advertises a $8.99 special on Thursday and claim they have NYC authentic pizza. I'm from lower east side NYC so I just got the pizza pie and promptly threw it out.
The crust was thick and tasted like cardboard. The sauce was some sort of sweet spaghetti sauce mixture and the cheese was ugh!
Bellview pizza place is better than all others so far but I dont think I'll ever find good pizza in FL...I'll try the new place Robertos in Pinellas once it opens up
Old 06-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
You bet! We traveled there from NH and often stood in a line, outside, in frigid and windy weather to have Regina's pizza. It was worth the shivering!
There was a place on the way to Regina, same side of the road, might've been called Frankie's or Franco's? Had kickass cannolis and robust espressos with lemon twists.

Had a friend who lived in the North End when we were in college together there. I asked her didn't she feel unsafe, living alone in the North End. She explained it was the safest place for a young unmarried woman to live. "Da Family" (the REAL ONE) kept "their own" safe. If you lived there and didn't make trouble for them, you were safe. Period.

Fine pizza too, Regina's was just the most famous but definitely not the only one on the street.

I've been to all the places IN the Villages that sells pizza and every single one of them is a joke compared to the New York/Boston/New Haven style.

The sauces are lackluster and some are actually sugary - they're not pizza sauce at all, I don't know what they are. Maybe Ragu, or some other equally nasty jarred crap. The thin crusts aren't really thin crusts, they're just thinner than the usual crusts, and not cooked properly. The thicker-crusted styles are gummy. They don't use fresh mozzarella, they use the prepackaged crap that turns to mush when heated. One place actually used a combination of shredded American cheese, Mozarella, and mild Cheddar. It was disgusting. They use oregano from huge plastic jars that probably came from Costco/Sam's/BJ's that was harvested 4 years ago and has been sitting in a jar ever since. I don't think any of them would know fresh basil if they fell into a garden of it.

I haven't been to a pizzeria near the Villages that wasn't actually in the Villages yet, but we'll be checking out a couple of the suggestions here soon.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:57 PM
Gold member

I don't think it will be NY Style but people here are going to be very happy when Piesano's opens down on 44. They have a restaurant in Ocala that we have been to and they are very good. They will definitely have the bet pizza around here.

Unfortunately, it will be very hard to get into once they do open since that area is a food oasis and now they will actually have a very good restaurant there.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:43 PM

Not..NY pizza
Old 06-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I had a pizza last year at Chicago Fire in Leesburg and I agree, it's excellent. My only complaint was he only had one size, 12" which probably enough for one person, but not enough for two, and buying two is a little too much. He came on the message board and I asked about that and he said, he only has a small oven and that's the biggest he can bake.

Giovanni's is good, I agree also and it's very gooey and foldable. My favorite is at Sammy Joe's at Mulberry Plaza, it's thin, more like Chicago Fire and they have 14" and 16", we go every week or two.
You're right, the 12" pizza won't feed two hungry people. Best to share a menu item while waiting for the pizza to come out. And if you have leftover slices they are great the next day.

I'll have to try Sammy Joe's. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2019, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Florida has pizza? Could of fooled me! Not what I call it. Pretty sad when you’re are looking for little Cesar’s for pizza. I find frozen sams club 5 meat pizza doctored up and cooked at home is the best pizza I can find around here.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
Could not find decent "Northeast" style pizza in the villages. Good pizza not only comes from New York, but add New England to the region that knows good pizza - Boston, Providence, New Haven . . . name it.
Now, where is the best pizza and Italian food in this area? In my Northend Boston opinion go to Belleview Pizza up in Belleview. It's the best we have found. BOGO PASTA DINNERS 3 -5 weekdays!
WARNING: Doesn't open until 3PM. CASH ONLY!
I am from Chicago. Our thin crust beats anything in the Northeast. Not even close.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyrosebowl View Post
I am from Chicago. Our thin crust beats anything in the Northeast. Not even close.
I am from NJ and went to college in IL. I still remember how awful IL pizza was.

Last edited by JSR22; 06-29-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Sammy Joe's gets Eight and a half Stars outta 10 Stars. Big Bob's Pizzeria & Restaurant 12909 E Highway 25, Ocklawaha, FL 32179-5115 352-288-4200 gets 9 and a half Stars outta 10 Stars. It's about 9 miles past the Main Post Office and the outside of it tempted us to not go in but I certainly glad we did.

I was talking to the Owner and asked him Why the Hell Did You Name This Place Bob's? Why not Vito, Rocco's? He said my name is Bob! You won't be disappointed. The place is in a small strip mall with a couple of abandoned Gas Pumps out front. Not beautiful outside but inside its O.K. but the food is GREAT!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Sammy Joe's gets Eight and a half Stars outta 10 Stars. Big Bob's Pizzeria & Restaurant 12909 E Highway 25, Ocklawaha, FL 32179-5115 352-288-4200 gets 9 and a half Stars outta 10 Stars. It's about 9 miles past the Main Post Office and the outside of it tempted us to not go in but I certainly glad we did.

I was talking to the Owner and asked him Why the Hell Did You Name This Place Bob's? Why not Vito, Rocco's? He said my name is Bob! You won't be disappointed. The place is in a small strip mall with a couple of abandoned Gas Pumps out front. Not beautiful outside but inside its O.K. but the food is GREAT!
On Yelp they have a lot of info about Big Bob's. You gave them a 1/2 star more than Sammy Joe's, I'll try it if I get up that way. Although the photos look a lot thicker than Sammy Joe's, more NY style. At SJ you can tell them to make it to the edge, and you'll get no crust, just all pizza. Bob's looks really nice, much nicer than Sammy Joe's.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Big Bob’s Italian Restaurant and Pizza - 32 Photos & 36 Reviews - Pizza - 12909 E Hwy 25, Ocklawaha, FL - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number - Yelp
Old 06-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Great job with the pictures John W. I guess they are going to be busy tonight. We were headed there last night when the skies opened up. Momma suggested we stay home. Yes Dear, DiGiorno that fine Dear! Maybe today or tomorrow. Can't wait!
Old 08-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
There was a place on the way to Regina, same side of the road, might've been called Frankie's or Franco's? Had kickass cannolis and robust espressos with lemon twists.

Had a friend who lived in the North End when we were in college together there. I asked her didn't she feel unsafe, living alone in the North End. She explained it was the safest place for a young unmarried woman to live. "Da Family" (the REAL ONE) kept "their own" safe. If you lived there and didn't make trouble for them, you were safe. Period.

Fine pizza too, Regina's was just the most famous but definitely not the only one on the street.

I've been to all the places IN the Villages that sells pizza and every single one of them is a joke compared to the New York/Boston/New Haven style.

The sauces are lackluster and some are actually sugary - they're not pizza sauce at all, I don't know what they are. Maybe Ragu, or some other equally nasty jarred crap. The thin crusts aren't really thin crusts, they're just thinner than the usual crusts, and not cooked properly. The thicker-crusted styles are gummy. They don't use fresh mozzarella, they use the prepackaged crap that turns to mush when heated. One place actually used a combination of shredded American cheese, Mozarella, and mild Cheddar. It was disgusting. They use oregano from huge plastic jars that probably came from Costco/Sam's/BJ's that was harvested 4 years ago and has been sitting in a jar ever since. I don't think any of them would know fresh basil if they fell into a garden of it.

I haven't been to a pizzeria near the Villages that wasn't actually in the Villages yet, but we'll be checking out a couple of the suggestions here soon.
Ricciardi's?

Tags
pizza, york, sauce, style, thick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.