Is Olive Garden an "italian restaurant"?

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Taltarzac
Default Is Olive Garden an "italian restaurant"?

I got in a discussion yesterday about Olive Garden being an "italian restaurant" with some supporters of Red Sauce and Giovanni's. They said that the ingredients, cooking practices, and the traditions and the like of these family owned restaurants are Italian whereas Olive Garden's being a chain and the like only really earn Olive Garden the name of "chain."

What do you think?

I have not been to the Olive Garden here in TV but have been to the Red Lobster in TV and the dinner I had there was better than many I have had in family owned restaurants.

Did a little research and funny that the best pizza one blogger had in Italy was from a chain called Spizzico in Rome http://pacejmiller.wordpress.com/200...-had-in-italy/ Even though it looks like the quality of the pizzas in this Spizzico chain varies a great deal from city to city.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-26-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Eternal Member
Thumbs up

As far as I am concerned, Olive Gardens qualifies as a Italian restaurant. I enjoy the food and way it is served. They have enough choices of dishes and I have never had a bad meal at any of the Olive Gardens.

I love the salad bowl they give to start and the bread sticks are tasty.

I went to Carrabra's (sic) a few weeks ago and I think that the chicken parm at Olive Garden was crisper and tastier and had a nice spaghetti sauce as a side.

I shall return.

Also Olive Garden is open for lunch as Carrabra's does not open until 3 PM.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I'm not Italian so I don't know. I like Carrabas a lot. I like Chez Gantner's too.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Taltarzac
Default Thanks for the response, zcaveman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
As far as I am concerned, Olive Gardens qualifies as a Italian restaurant. I enjoy the food and way it is served. They have enough choices of dishes and I have never had a bad meal at any of the Olive Gardens.

I love the salad bowl they give to start and the bread sticks are tasty.

I went to Carrabba's a few weeks ago and I think that the chicken parm at Olive Garden was crisper and tastier and had a nice spaghetti sauce as a side.

I shall return.

Also Olive Garden is open for lunch as Carrabba's does not open until 3 PM.
I have never even eaten at a Carrabba's and probably will not start because of the other Italian restaurants available here in TV.

Have not been to Red Sauce yet either but Giovanni's was quite good.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Sage

Kind of a tough argument to win either way. Who really cares whether it's "Italian" or not? If you like the food they serve (and I do) then I go back (1 a month or so). Have I had better Italian? Yes but even in Boston's north end, which is still very Italian compared to NY's little Italy, most of the cooks are of Hispanic decent. Don't get me wrong they KNOW how to cook Italian but it's not momma and papa from Sicily any longer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.