Opinions on tipping

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 PM
Default Opinions on tipping

My granddaughter is a server and has mentioned to me several times that many dont tip appropriately. By appropriately I mean 18% -20% for good service. I'm aware that money doesn't grow on trees and eating out can be expensive but servers are people too and have bills to pay. Many severs have the job they do because it's flexible and allows them to pursue other opportunities. If you don't value them as people or the job they have chosen, then why do you go out? And what constitutes good or poor service to you?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

15% is a normal appropriate tip, not 18-20%. When I was young in the 1960s it was 10%.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-20-2018, 01:31 AM
Veteran member

In the 60's, gas was .25 and movies were about .50 so what's your point. Costs on everything have gone up since we were young including tipping.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralouwho View Post
My granddaughter is a server and has mentioned to me several times that many dont tip appropriately. By appropriately I mean 18% -20% for good service. I'm aware that money doesn't grow on trees and eating out can be expensive but servers are people too and have bills to pay. Many severs have the job they do because it's flexible and allows them to pursue other opportunities. If you don't value them as people or the job they have chosen, then why do you go out? And what constitutes good or poor service to you?
Tipping has nothing to do with valuing serving staff as people, but it definitely has to do with the job they are doing.
Tipping also has nothing to do with why people go out to eat and I find that question offensive.

A person's tip is a direct reflection of good or poor service.
It has to do not only with service and but the method with which the service is delivered.
Perhaps your granddaughter doesn't know the difference.

I'm sure you love your granddaughter very much, but do you really know what kind of service she gives to her customers?
My guess is no.
You couldn't possibly know -- mainly because of your relationship.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:50 AM
Platinum member

I only tip if they bring my DOGS water.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

sales tax x 2 ='s tip good service add accordingly
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is my opinion that servers in The Villages are some of the best I have encountered in my life. Many, like those who work at Cane Garden have worked here for many years and are treasures to frequent customers.

I think people who serve The Villages population must have the patience of Job. I very much appreciate our servers here. Hard to find one not deserving of a good tip.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Tipping percentages are slowly getting out of hand. Perhaps servers should go to their employers or get a different job. 20 per cent now soon will be thirty. It will get to the point there will be no one left to serve.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:55 AM

my son is a server. He doesn't keep the entire tip. He has to tip out the bartender, hostess, busboy etc. He keeps about 66% of a tip
Old 03-20-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage

Wow. I tip pretty well, but of course based on service.

But as one or two others have said, I think think the server EXPECTING a certain percentage is inappropriate, and to question why people go out based upon how they perceive their servers?? You are showing a strong bias based upon your family relationship imo.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Gold member

I usually tip 15-20% depending on service. Sometimes more for really good service. You have to be pretty bad for me to go lower than 15%. And I tip on service, not food nor drink quality (unless, of course, I'm sitting at the bar). I love to go out to eat, and any excuse to do so will do.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Good service = good tip....amount is function thereof.

Servers and their expectation have zero to do with where or why we dine.

Poor service should be acknowledged as well with amount of tip reduced accordingly. Fortunately does not happen very often.

Yes I believe they EARN the amount they get!!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:34 AM

In my opinion the whole tipping system is flawed.

If I order a steak that costs $20 and tip 20% = $4.00. Tomorrow I go to the same restaurant and receive the exact same service but order a $30 steak why should the tip be $6.00?

Let the bashing commence
Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Platinum member

I want efficiency. I want accuracy. I want to be asked if I need a refill on my beverage. Too many servers think that being friendly and engaging is the key to earning a tip. I don't want to exchange pleasantries. Don't call me "honey" or "sweetie" unless you want me to call you "Sugar Tits". Good service should be the norm and should get one's standard minimum gratuity...mine is 15% for good service...more if the server impresses me.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

I also feel that tipping has partly to do with geography. I am from Long Island. This past summer, on tabs where they give you a breakdown of the tips, I have seen 18%, 20%, 22% and 25%. The first time I saw this I was surprised. My friends in the mid west tip at 15%. And of course in Australia and New Zealand they do not tip at all.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, good, appropriately, service, job

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.