Tierra del Sol

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Tierra del Sol

We G's had not been there before until about a couple of weeks ago Our new village is going in a group to restaurants on Friday evenings.

When we went there on a Friday a couple of weeks ago we enjoyed it very much. There were 30 of us and it was a lot of orders to serve at once and we weren't served at once, there was a quite a wait for some of us but the food was VERY GOOD and the freshly made creme puffs that are served with each dinner meal at the end were to die for!!

Today our golf ladies group went there and we had the lunch specials. Our server said that there is a ten percent discount for lunch for golfers on Wednesday. All eight of us REALLY enjoyed our various choices. I had coffee, a yummy tuna melt and a cup of wonderful Yankee bean soup with tomato base and vegetables. My bill was $7.00 and the service was astonishingly quick and excellent.

The others had burger and salads and other soup and sandwich combos. All praised the food. (And there are some great cooks in our group)

One of our neighbor couples goes there each Tuesday. It is pasta night. They say it is great.

I don't know when it changed hands but they sure know how to cook. YUM!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Good review GG. Tierra del Sol does a good job That yankee bean soup sounds deelicious
Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Sage

Great to hear some good news about the TDS restaurant!

(we were in Johnny Rockets this afternoon for a coke before a movie and got seated and served right away. Didn't notice anyone leaving because of poor service or terrible food.)
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Veteran member

The owner Pete is a pastry chef and his desserts are excellent.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We G's had not been there before until about a couple of weeks ago Our new village is going in a group to restaurants on Friday evenings.

When we went there on a Friday a couple of weeks ago we enjoyed it very much. There were 30 of us and it was a lot of orders to serve at once and we weren't served at once, there was a quite a wait for some of us but the food was VERY GOOD and the freshly made creme puffs that are served with each dinner meal at the end were to die for!!

Today our golf ladies group went there and we had the lunch specials. Our server said that there is a ten percent discount for lunch for golfers on Wednesday. All eight of us REALLY enjoyed our various choices. I had coffee, a yummy tuna melt and a cup of wonderful Yankee bean soup with tomato base and vegetables. My bill was $7.00 and the service was astonishingly quick and excellent.

The others had burger and salads and other soup and sandwich combos. All praised the food. (And there are some great cooks in our group)

One of our neighbor couples goes there each Tuesday. It is pasta night. They say it is great.

About 18 of us were there about 2 weeks ago and it was bad. Service was terrible. We waited a very long time for our dinners to come and when they did some were cold and some were just wrong. I was one of the ones who encouraged the group to give this place another try. MY BAD!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

....just a few blocks from our home,...we've eaten there a couple times and always been pleased. The last I had heard was a Greek gentleman owned it and comes in very early to make the yummy pastries they have...
Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM

TDS is also open for breakfast. You will not be disappointed.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

Friday night was wonderful with all you can eat Halibut and Danny & Johnny providing the music. We all enjoyed the good food and service. Will return......jmho
Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Sage

I would think it would be tough to serve a large group of people and get everything so it was 1A+.... Just my opinion! That being said...never have we been to this restaurant but after the positive reviews we may have to give it a try sometime.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Gold member

We ate there last night. Service was very good, but that may have been because the place was mostly empty which is amazing at this time of year. Food was hit and miss. Burgers were good (but too expensive compared with most other CCs), fries were not very good at all. Lasagna special was not good according to the person who ordered it.

Biggest turnoff for the group was the nickle and dime pricing strategy - they charged for lemons to put in the water. (As she walked in, one person in our party was saying that she was looking forward to eating here because she liked their food; however, at the end of the meal she said she would never return because of the pricing policy.) However, on the flip side, the owner came out at the end of the meal and offered everyone in the group a free cream puff. That was a nice touch.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Trying to serve parties of 10-20 people is extremely difficult to execute for hostesses, wait staff, chefs, bus staff and check reconcilers. With my most charitable and kind feedback here, asking a staff to handle parties the size of which you have mentioned here AND expecting superior service is a lot IMHO. I would recommend splitting up your parties into 4-5 groups. You can likely get more timely seating, get a more intimate meal, get great service and switch out the groups next time around.

Does what I say make sense to you...especially when you are trying to do group lunches weekly, etc.?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Sage

We do weekly early dinners (4:30 ish) nearly every Friday with a group of 8 to 14 and call ahead the day before to alert the restaurant. Usually get seated as soon as all of our party has arrived and have wait staff that knows we are scheduled. Very few issues no matter where we go (recently to Cane Garden, Havana, Oakwood, Red Lobster, Glenview, Pasta Faire, Mallory, Katie Belles, Lighthouse, Outback, Gator Joes, American Legion)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Platinum member

On Monday morning, 2/6/12, our golf group of 14 went to TDS for breakfast. The service and the food was impeccable. They could not have been more accommodating. EVERYONE was thrilled with their choices of food and the presentation. To please 14 people is not easy. We all said we would return and we took their entertainment schedule.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
We ate there last night. Service was very good, but that may have been because the place was mostly empty which is amazing at this time of year. Food was hit and miss. .......
Biggest turnoff for the group was the nickle and dime pricing strategy - they charged for lemons to put in the water.........
However, on the flip side, the owner came out at the end of the meal and offered everyone in the group a free cream puff. That was a nice touch.
The nickel and dime pricing strategy has been discussed in old threads regarding Glenview and other restaurants. The reason they charge for extra lemon wedges is because patrons are often too CHEAP to buy a beverage, and they make their own lemonade with the water and lemon wedges.....while as Gracie said, her lunch was lovely and the bill was $7.00.

Some people are shameless and so the rest have to pay for lemon wedges and for those who steal all the coffee creamers, salt-pepper shakers, salad dressing packets, etc.

Last edited by ilovetv; 02-13-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 AM
Default Tierra del Sol

My husband likes the buffet on Sunday mornings. We have been there twice and have enjoyed the omelets. We weren't disappointed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.