Paying all the time

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts View Post
Separate checks is the norm in TV and thank goodness. Up north I was never able to get individual checks--even when nicely asked, they'd always refuse. Here, it seems that when a waiter sees a mixed group of people, they assume separate checks and seem happy to do so.
We've had exactly the same experience. Up north, there is one cheque per table and that is the inflexible "rule". I was delighted at the TV "norm" of separate cheques. It means people can be as extravagant as they choose to be with appetizers and wine and lobster and desserts. Or they can be frugal or on a diet with a simple salad and water and leave it at that. No one cares. No one keeps track.

Individual cheques are such a pleasure. The restaurants in TV are to be applauded for making things easy.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Default I want separate

It always wore me to a frazzle to remember who had paid the last dinner bill. With separate ones there is no worry. I can order what I want and be happy enjoying the evening.

From Liberty, MO
Old 12-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts View Post
Separate checks is the norm in TV and thank goodness. Up north I was never able to get individual checks--even when nicely asked, they'd always refuse.
I think that the servers get a higher tip from the table if there are seperate checks compared to one check. And if I were to ask for seperate checks and were refused I would tip them less than my normal which is around 20% of the total check for good service.

I would take a refusal to do seperate checks as poor service and tip accordingly.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Up here in the north I have never had a problem getting separate checks. Odd. Wonder why others have been refused separate checks.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Up here in the north I have never had a problem getting separate checks. Odd. Wonder why others have been refused separate checks.
Yes, it is true, McDonalds does give separate checks.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Founder

Quote:

The reason is that nobody ever wants to go to dinner with you. You always go alone. You only need one check, unless your steak is done wrong, then you pay nothing.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
The reason is that nobody ever wants to go to dinner with you. You always go alone. You only need one check, unless your steak is done wrong, then you pay nothing.
The Nice Admin?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
The Nice Admin?
thats what i was thinking???
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
thats what i was thinking???
It's one friend teasing another friend.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Barefoot has somehow learned where I go to dinner. I must be more secretive in the future.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
It's one friend teasing another friend.
I had a very, very snappy response for this and as I was laughing hard and typing it, Mrs. Tony asked what was going on. I read her what I typed, and her eyes got real narrow and she pronounced it very stupid and distasteful.

But that thing Talk Host said about the steak? It is quite common, I mean the majority of the time that I get my steak cooked incorrectly. I must be asking for very, very special preparation. I order it done medium.

My dinner partners pretend they are looking down reading their menus, but they are silently praying that I won't order steak. Ask Talk Host.

I also had a very difficult time once getting soup. Yep. Soup. It held up the whole dinner. I was still eating when everybody else was standing up and putting their coats on. Soup. Imagine. Couldn't even get that right.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
I had a very, very snappy response for this and as I was laughing hard and typing it, Mrs. Tony asked what was going on. I read her what I typed, and her eyes got real narrow and she pronounced it very stupid and distasteful.

But that thing Talk Host said about the steak? It is quite common, I mean the majority of the time that I get my steak cooked incorrectly. I must be asking for very, very special preparation. I order it done medium.

My dinner partners pretend they are looking down reading their menus, but they are silently praying that I won't order steak. Ask Talk Host.

I also had a very difficult time once getting soup. Yep. Soup. It held up the whole dinner. I was still eating when everybody else was standing up and putting their coats on. Soup. Imagine. Couldn't even get that right.
Have you tried saying something more explicit, such as, "I want it bright pink in the middle"?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Have you tried saying something more explicit, such as, "I want it bright pink in the middle"?

No, he says "I want chowder."
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Tony, for the record, I'd gladly take you to MickeyD's, and I would pick up the check and allow you to Super size it......

Frank
Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
To encourage eating out I would go for each couple getting their own check. If I was running a restaurant I think I would have the waiters always ask if they would like separate checks. Helps break the ice if the group has not discussed and might encourage people to return in groups to the restaurant since they do not mind doing separate checks.
Here in the villages most restaurants ask (seperate checks)
Answer,Yes Her and I,,,,,him and her,,,,,that takes the pressure off all concerned on who will pay,and possibly help enjoy your meal more.
If going out with another couple, and he insists on paying because he might owe you a favor or two, example,,, picked you up for golf the last 4 times or helped you home after your cart ran out of juice,then by all means let him pick up the tab if he insists,chances are he really wanted to pick it up,and every one will feel comfortable with that.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.