A piece of history is gone

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
You hit the nail on the head saying TV cares only about the newer sections and restaurants. It's like the historical side is a "before and after" picture for them. It doesn't surprise me that they are allowing OB to close.

Now wait. The villages owns the BUILDINGS. The restaurant enterprise is owned by an individual. If the individual feels at the end of the lease that he/she no longer is making enough money to sustain the business or they no longer want to continue than they will choose to close. The Villages will then probably renovate the building and try to lease it to another restaurant or chain.

I would ask the person who previously owned the business why they are closing.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

When I lived on the historic side, I frequently went to the Orange Blossom Hills restaurant for lunch or Sunday brunch buffet. I'd liken it to the Golden Corral on 466, in price, food quality, ambience and cleanliness.

If you want an inexpensive and filling meal, either restaurant will do, but let's not kid ourselves that either is a gourmet experience. The furniture and decorations at OBH were 20 years past their expiration date and everything felt just a little sticky, including the carpet.

It'd be nice if a new owner would take over the lease, but if Chip wasn't able to make a go of it financially, it doesn't look good. There are so many other country clubs and restaurant choices in TV it's a hard slog, and the restaurant business is difficult even under optimal conditions.

Heck, I still miss El Santiago!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Sage

When I was looking to buy here in 2009, my sales rep didn't even want to show me the "historic" area. I had to drive around there by myself and got lost
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
When I was looking to buy here in 2009, my sales rep didn't even want to show me the "historic" area. I had to drive around there by myself and got lost
Same with us! She "gladly" showed us LS homes but when we showed interest in one or two over in OB, she printed out a fact sheet and sent us out on our own.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Platinum member

Been there many many times. Chip is a great guy. The restaurant has had better days. The place needs a complete overhaul. From the kitchen equipment showing behind the bar, the chairs and tables and a new paint job. The bartender needed an update, quite cranky. Good luck Chip, you will be missed. Let's hope someone runs the new restaurant as well.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM

I have been to Orange Blossom on many occasions and I live south of 466 in the new high priced homes. I put my pants on just like the down to earth people north of 441 and I have many friends that live there...actually most of my friends live there. We have a group of girlfriends that go out to eat every couple of weeks and we change restaurants. We are about 10 of us give or take a few and I recommended that we go to Orange Blossom since it seems that we are always on the south side and the 4 girls that live in the down to earth neighborhood told me that they would not go there as it is very dirty. I agree that it is not updated but I have dined in some very old and outdated restaurants up north and never thought of them as being dirty but being charming. So here is my opinion that outdated does not mean dirty but I guess the down to earth people seem to think like that...just saying !!!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Gold member

According to this morning's Sun, the restaurant hasn't been profitable enough for the business owner (he was quoted) and The Villages will refurbish the building, which is long overdue. Sounds like a sound business decision by both the restaurant owner and TV.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Sage

IMHO Orange Blossom has the best pool area in The Villages - they should have an equally awesome restaurant to go with it.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It hurts my heart to hear that anyone thinks that folks are looking down on anyone here. I suppose there are those people who are uppity and think where they live is better than where "they" live but they are WRONG. There was a thread last week where someone failed to show up at a home on the historic side to look at an item for sale. The poster said that a car went slowly down the street and turned around in his driveway and he was absolutely certain it was because his house didn't "measure up" somehow. That would be one of the last things I would think ever, because I feel that I am just like most people who see things like size of houses as not important AT ALL.

I hope that the complaints heard here that the developer is to blame are wrong. I am fairly sure that I learned from someone that the historic side has been "turned over" to it's residents to run now that it is past twenty years old.

I can well understand anyone being sensitive about criticism of the place that they choose to live and love. None of us have a right to think any of us are superior for any reason at all. It is simply wrong. Who cares whose house is bigger? Big DEAL! We are all on this earth at this stage of our lives with a much shorter span in front of us than behind us and I see clearly that our job is to look out for each other and calm other and help each other and try to make this part of our lives as positive and good as we can.

Help me down from this pulpit please.

Let us not have issues arise over this very not worthy thing. It is simply not right.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Location: The Villages, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Memphis, Los Angeles, Boston, New York, Norfolk, Chicago.

Well, we can't be 100% sure that it won't be boarded up. Remember the empty building that used to be El Santiago? Although I agree, odds are heavily in favor of someone else fixing it up and taking over. I sure hope so. Finally, people are people, The Villages is like a cruise ship, no one knows or cares if you live on the historic side or down south, like no one cares (or shouldn't) if you are in the Penthouse on a ship or the lowest inner cabin.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

OB will be remodeled, spruced up and refurnished. I'm sure those living on THE OLD side have done the same to their own homes and yards. I'm sure when it reopens the interior will be quite nice. As for the exterior something tells me that will stay the same . Maybe some replacemt trim or windows but the rest will remain the same. Look at everything else that's be refurbished around TV. As for the pool and TIKI bar I wish we had more great looking areas like that, I've visited OB several times and when I bring guests over to THE OLD SIDE they can't believe how well kept and how nice it looks. So let's wait and see what the refurbished interior looks like. JMO
Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 AM

Jblum315 I take offense at the comments of old-time villagers in their old-time homes on the historic side. There are quite a few of us young villagers on the historic side who have chosen to be a part of the Villages history and have taken the old-time homes as you called them and renovated them to be the beautiful homes they are today. And no, we don't hate the new Villagers who have chosen to live in the new areas. Both the old-timers and young-timers on the historic side LOVE living here. And YES, we will miss OBG and hope the promises made to renovate and reopen will indeed happen.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage

Again....I have to agree with Gracie on this one. Schmitty from Wisconsin also makes some good sense as well. My gosh folks who are commenting negatively on this thread---please don't jump to conclusions!!! The economy definitely affects the restaurant business...even in T.V. I would ascertain. Attacking the developer at every chance is getting a bit old!

As for the "historic side"----I have said many times "don't judge a book by it's cover!" Perhaps the folks you are looking down your noses at, are by any stretch of the imagination, a multi-millionaire. People with a large portfolio do NOT have to live in a big, fancy new house. I hate how folks have to have "status"!!! We ALL put our pants on one leg at a time...no one is any better than anyone else!!!

Hang on and just wait....perhaps OBH will come back prettier and better than it's been. My best wishes to Chip in whatever endeavors he seeks beyond here!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tom View Post
The first resturant Harold Swartz opened is closing. The Orange Blossom Country club was operated by Chip Rice for the last ten years, and they decided not to renew his lease. I know its the old side, (historic side) but that is where all the down to earth people live without attitudes.
It appears to me that Uncle Tom has an attitude!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Veteran member

Also, many restaurants draw patrons from the local population outside The Villages, which I doubt Orange Blossom does. It's gotta be a tough go.

Quote:
I am fairly sure that I learned from someone that the historic side has been "turned over" to it's residents to run now that it is past twenty years old.
The historic district is managed by their VCCD the same way other villages are.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.