A piece of history is gone

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Sage

Since when does cleaning and refurbishing equate to the demise of "a piece of history"????

Is national history "lost" because the White House no longer has soot and ash on the walls from burning wood or coal; or because indoor toilets replaced the out-houses and electric lights replaced the kerosene lamps that got the walls sooty; or because the carriage house needing horse dung shoveled out of it was replaced by garages for automobile limousines????

Geez.....It's a country club and it is part of The Villages and our priority golf membership. The pool area is one of the best in all of TV, and the restaurant should MATCH that!!

1800s (At the White House)

In 1801, Thomas Jefferson gave orders for the demolition of the outdoor wooden privy and had two water closets installed upstairs, one on each end of the house. He also had a wine cellar built just west of the house and called it an "ice house." Jefferson made changes to many of the fireplaces, including equipping the kitchen with its first iron range fitted to the existing firebox and adding hob-grates for coal to several others. A call bell system was installed for summoning servants, and artificial light came in part from "patent" oil lamps that featured innovative Argand burners. On the outside of the building, lead and wood gutters were replaced with iron ones. The White House's first heating system, the gravity-based Pettibone furnace, was installed when James Madison took office in 1809....."
White House History | Timelines
Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

the op could very well be baiting.

When all gets said and done TV is TV regardless of the address.

And yes like in any group there will always be the attitude, the prejudicial and classification commentors.

Take comfort in the fact there is less than 10% who unfortunately get way to much attention.

The old and new cultures/locations/attitudes/prejudices just have a very narrow perspective (among other things)......and it is their right to do so.....let's just not behave as though they are representative of TV residents because they certainly are NOT.

btk
Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It hurts my heart to hear that anyone thinks that folks are looking down on anyone here. I suppose there are those people who are uppity and think where they live is better than where "they" live but they are WRONG. There was a thread last week where someone failed to show up at a home on the historic side to look at an item for sale. The poster said that a car went slowly down the street and turned around in his driveway and he was absolutely certain it was because his house didn't "measure up" somehow. That would be one of the last things I would think ever, because I feel that I am just like most people who see things like size of houses as not important AT ALL.

I hope that the complaints heard here that the developer is to blame are wrong. I am fairly sure that I learned from someone that the historic side has been "turned over" to it's residents to run now that it is past twenty years old.

I can well understand anyone being sensitive about criticism of the place that they choose to live and love. None of us have a right to think any of us are superior for any reason at all. It is simply wrong. Who cares whose house is bigger? Big DEAL! We are all on this earth at this stage of our lives with a much shorter span in front of us than behind us and I see clearly that our job is to look out for each other and calm other and help each other and try to make this part of our lives as positive and good as we can.

Help me down from this pulpit please.

Let us not have issues arise over this very not worthy thing. It is simply not right.
Great post Gracie! I keep reading signs when I come to TV friendliest and then I read some of these post and wonder. I agree the short time most of us have left on this earth should be enjoyed by all each minute of each day.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
So it's not just the Sumter county folks who hate Villagers. The old=timey villagers who live in old-timey houses hate the newcomers too. I can just hear it - "We got roots! them upstarts ain't from here"
When we first came down here we looked at couple of homes over on the Orange Blossom side. When we mentioned it to a couple of my wife's parents friends who live "on the other side" their reaction was why would you want to buy & live in the "ghetto"? It almost made us march right over there and buy a house!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

It's a shame that a news item about a place closing becomes turned and twisted and comments abound about old sides/new sides. Whooey. It's just sad that a business has closed and put people out of work. I really dislike to see doors close on small business people.....and that's what this news article meant to me. That said, here's hoping that the building does get cleaned up and a new restaurant comes in and puts folks back to work.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tom View Post
The first resturant Harold Swartz opened is closing. The Orange Blossom Country club was operated by Chip Rice for the last ten years, and they decided not to renew his lease. I know its the old side, (historic side) but that is where all the down to earth people live without attitudes. We have been going there for the last 10 years and even when the Villages owned it prior to that. It was great food, with good service and very fair prices. It seems like the Villages is worried about Lake Sumter, and Brownwood. Its all about home sales, thats why you see below average acts in the square on Spanish Springs. Watch what acts you see out in Wildwood at Brownwood. It shouldnt matter if you paid 59,000.00 for a single wide at Orange Blossom Gardens (the original name), or 800,000.00 for a home in Lake Sumter. All residents, and business owners should be treated fair. Chip ran a great resturant for years and now they said (The Villages) we dont want you here anymore. Now you see these franchise resturants moving in (because demographics show how many new home owners there are), and you see poorly operated resturants, with kids as servers. I guess thats the new genaration of The Villages management team taking over.
From today's article in the Daily Sun, I certainly did not get the impression that TV was not renewing the lease but it was the current operators decision to close up.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

where does a golfer go to quench their thirst after a round - or get something to eat? what will folks at the pool do for same? will the tiki bar be open? will folks be able to bring a cooler with them? this closing leaves residents/guests without a food and drink facility within the confines of the historic side. so many unknowns!

Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
where does a golfer go to quench their thirst after a round - or get something to eat? what will folks at the pool do for same? will the tiki bar be open? will folks be able to bring a cooler with them? this closing leaves residents/guests without a food and drink facility within the confines of the historic side. so many unknowns!
njbchbum, not to worry, by the time you get back, there will probably be another restauranteur frying and stewing and serving cold drinks in that building.

It appears that this person decided to quit, that he wasn't evicted or thrown out on his ear. I see no reason why someone else with a golden frying pan wouldn't want that lovely location and make a go of it.

Right there on that lovely hill, with that beautiful pool right next to it, and a ready made bunch of folks eager to take a little ride from the southernmost parts of TV to see the sights and have a nice meal.

You hide and watch. There will be another restaurant to take it's place.

Your friend,

Gracie.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Sage

An article in today's Daily Sun said the closure will be very short and a new manager is taking over operations of the restaurant. They are closing for renovations.

We were at the pool tonight (Friday) and I asked the man checking IDs about the pool closing while the restaurant is being renovated. He said he was told that the Tiki Bar and the restaurant would close Sunday night (the newspaper article didn't mention the Tiki Bar, only the restaurant closing) and that the pool would remain open during renovations.

The Tiki Bar was rocking. LOL Karaoke tonight.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

We found it old and outdated, but as previously stated, not dirty. I will miss the Sunday morning brunch. The ventilation in there was not adequate, but I didn't mind leaving smelling of the best omelet in the Villages, and maybe the best I've had anywhere except home. Good luck Chip!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It hurts my heart to hear that anyone thinks that folks are looking down on anyone here. I suppose there are those people who are uppity and think where they live is better than where "they" live but they are WRONG. There was a thread last week where someone failed to show up at a home on the historic side to look at an item for sale. The poster said that a car went slowly down the street and turned around in his driveway and he was absolutely certain it was because his house didn't "measure up" somehow. That would be one of the last things I would think ever, because I feel that I am just like most people who see things like size of houses as not important AT ALL.

I hope that the complaints heard here that the developer is to blame are wrong. I am fairly sure that I learned from someone that the historic side has been "turned over" to it's residents to run now that it is past twenty years old.

I can well understand anyone being sensitive about criticism of the place that they choose to live and love. None of us have a right to think any of us are superior for any reason at all. It is simply wrong. Who cares whose house is bigger? Big DEAL! We are all on this earth at this stage of our lives with a much shorter span in front of us than behind us and I see clearly that our job is to look out for each other and calm other and help each other and try to make this part of our lives as positive and good as we can.

Help me down from this pulpit please.

Let us not have issues arise over this very not worthy thing. It is simply not right.
Thank you Gracie!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Default O B Hills

We have been going to this restaurant for 20 years. It has undergone many changes, except for the furniture. We went last night and it was so sad. Hugs and tears all around. Many of the wait staff have been there ten years and now are out of a job they loved. Some are single parents with children.
Chip knew his customers and served them well. Thanks to him and all the others who worked there.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It amazes me how human nature likes to take "sides". We have the Historic Side. The north of 466 side, the south of 466A side. When I worked at a Saving and Loan, we had the savings side and the loan side. When I worked in a medical practice we had the front office side and the back office side. When I worked at an airline we had the operational side and the HDQ side. What is it about human nature that thinks their side is better or worse? Why do we have sides?

Without the Historic Side, there would be no TV. I suppose some may turn up their nose at it but not many that I know. We have dear friends (young friends) who live there and are quite well off. They just like it there.

Now back to the OP. I am sorry that Chip will be closing his business and wish him and his staff well. Hopefully the Daily Sun article is correct that the building will be refurbished and reopened as a restaurant that we can ALL enjoy.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 AM

Yes it's hard to imagine that pool with no Tiki Bar.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Sage

Alcohol is the money maker for a restaurant. I would bet that they will reopen the Tiki Bar.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.