Platinum member
Default Re: Pizza

MMmmmmm, looks good Midge!!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolpterry
Living in the south all my life and loving pizza, can someone explain just what new york style pizza is? Is it different crust or type of sauce that makes it different.
Not sure you will get an answer. Everyone likes their own area's pizza. Be it sauce or crust or apparently price. I was raised in Jax Fl and liked a local place but also liked Pizza Hut and Shakeys. When I went north, I found out they did not have small, medium or large (at least in New Jersey). It was all large. I frequented the same pizza place in Andover, NJ that went through three different brothers as owners and had three different tasting pies. The last brother made the best.

As far as I am concerned, the pizza you like is the pizza you want. No matter what restaurant or chain it is from. Taste, adequate topping selection, and crust texture are the thing to me.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

My all time favorite is Pizza Hut Pan Pizza. No matter where you go it's always the same! YUM!

Question? ???? Does anyone know when Ci Ci's is scheduled to open in Colony Plaza? ???? I'm hoping it will be open before I leave for up North in 2 weeks.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:23 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538
As I am a widower, I make my own pizza. It really is better than a few of the locals that I tried. Thin, crispy with a nicely flavored and chewy crust.
Midge, you've got my mouth watering!! Looks fantastico!! Thanks, Kathie

When are you gonna share that recipe?

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Kathie/TravelI

I will put up some of my 'pizza notes' when I get back from the National Scrabble Tournament over in Orlando. "Nowwwww, let's see, 'M K I Z U P X' .. must be a word in there somewhere. Oh no, ZA would have been pizza!"
Old 07-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Sage

Bright,

I rode by Cici's today....a guy inside walked out and handed me a copy of their menu (5.49 for buffet...pizza/pasta/salad/soup/dessert).

He said they are going through final approvals and hope to open on/about August 12. Hope that timing works out for you.

Large to go pizza (15") with 2 toppings ... 8.75. Also, it will be open til 10pm most nights and 11pm Fri and Sat.

Looking forward to trying this out.....I'm still searching for "good" pizza down here.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Veteran member

Cici's pizza is not what anyone would call good pizza, it's just cheap. Here in Detroit Cici's is $4.99 for their buffet. There price varies depending on the area and competition. The only pizza that they make that I enjoy is their buffalo chicken. It's super spicy!!! Their crust is fairly tastless, and they don't put a lot of toppings. But it's a quick, cheap meal.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1
Cici's pizza is not what anyone would call good pizza, it's just cheap. Here in Detroit Cici's is $4.99 for their buffet. There price varies depending on the area and competition. The only pizza that they make that I enjoy is their buffalo chicken. It's super spicy!!! Their crust is fairly tastless, and they don't put a lot of toppings. But it's a quick, cheap meal.
Also, the salad bowl is usually better than the pizza.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 PM

MY PIZZA ‘BASICS’

I USE A PIZZA STONE (TARGET OR BELK) AS IT CREATES AN EVEN HEAT TO MAKE FOR A CRUST THAT WILL BE: THIN, CRISPY, DARK AROUND THE EDGES AND CHEWY WITH A NICE BREADY FLAVOR. PRE-HEAT THE PIZZA STONE IN THE OVEN AT 450 FOR 15 – 20 MINS (WHILE YOU READY THE DOUGH …. AND ALSO SIP SOME VALPOLICELLA).

YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN DOUGH OR TRY PUBLIX’S BUT I PREFER TO BUY DOUGH FROM GIOVANNI’S. THEIR DOUGHS ARE FRESH, EASY TO WORK WITH AND TASTY … (PLUS THEY HAVE SMALL, MEDIUM AND LARGE SIZES).

ROLL OUT AND SHAPE THE DOUGH ON A PIZZA PEEL OR A BOARD WHICH HAS BEEN SPRINKLED WITH CORNMEAL. (THE CORNMEAL WILL MAKE IT EASY TO SLIDE THE READIED PIZZA ON TO THE PIZZA STONE …….. WHICH HAS BEEN HEATING IN THE OVEN.) PINCH THE EDGES OF THE DOUGH UP A BIT.

ON THE DOUGH: RUB SOME OLIVE OIL (PREVENTS THE TOPPINGS FROM LEAKING INTO THE DOUGH BOTTOM); RUB SOME PIZZA SAUCE AROUND THE DOUGH TO ABOUT A HALF INCH FROM THE EDGES; PLACE SOME CHOPPED OR SLICED MOOZARELLA CHEESE; PLACE YOUR TOPPINGS; THEN SPRINKLE A BIT OF YOUR FAVORITE SPICES (SALT, PEPPER, OREGANO, BASIL); THEN ANOTHER SMALL SPRINKLE OF OLIVE OIL; AND THEN A GOOD SPRINKLE OF PARMESAN CHEESE. (A ‘LITTLE’ OIL ON THE CRUST WOULD ALSO PROMOTE A FLAVORFUL, GOLDEN BROWN CRUST.)

SLIDE THE PIZZA OFF OF THE PEEL AND ON TO THE PIZZA STONE IN THE OVEN. (IF MY OVEN WAS BETTER QUALITY , I WOULD COOK THE PIZZA AT 500 FOR 10 MINUTES, BUT BECAUSE THESE VILLA STOVES ARE ‘CONSTRUCTION QUALITY) I COOK THE PIZZA FOR 7 MINUTES AT 450 AND THEN TURN THE OVEN UP TO 475 AND COOK FOR FIVE MORE MINUTES … WHILE I RUN AROUND FANNING MY BLARING SMOKE ALARMS

TAKE THE PIZZA OUT AND LET IT SIT AND SETTLE FOR FIVE MINUTES BEFORE YOU CUT SLICES.

“EH, PIZZA ON EARTH, AND GOOD WILL TO MEN .”
Old 02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Veteran member
Default Pizza @ Legends Cafe

Was looking for a new pizza because most of what I find around here is not very good. Many are tolerable such as Naples, Belleview, Pauly's, Takis, even Katie Belle's & Cane Garden. But I continue to search.
The week before Superbowl 44, THE LEGENDS CAFE ran some ads in the Daily Sun. So we went there for lunch to check it out. They sell whole or slices of thin crust pizza at lunch. Freshly made, and very tasty.
So, for our small Superbowl party, we ordered their version of a Chicago Deep Dish. Now it's not the best pizza I have ever had but I will return for more. It was again very tasty and they use all fresh ingredients. We had cheese, sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, onion & black olive.
Legends Cafe is on 441 in Fruitland Park just a mile south of Phillips Pontiac.
You might want to give them a try. Small restaurant with pizza, subs, calzones, wings & a few other sandwichs.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnchshadow View Post
We found the best NY pizza right in Lake Sumpter Landing. Bravo Pizza. :#1: It's the best Pizza we have found since moving to Fl. :bigthumbsup: We currently live in Miami, but bought a home in The V 3 years ago. We visit often and our favorite place to eat pizza is Bravo. They have the right formula of cheese sauce and oil. The crust is thin and chewy. Makes my mouth water just to think of it. Can't wait to get back up there in July. 040
I can't believe it...you're not from anywhere that has good pizza..Are you? Bravo to me is one of the most boring pizza's I've ever eaten.The sauce is bland ..the cheese has no taste..I asked for garlic and couldn't even tatse that!! The crust was o.k. Mouth watering? I agree with the post about pizza in boston...now that's pizza !!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM

Everyone has their own opinion as to what is, or who makes the best pizza. Almost without exception, it is usually from your hometown. Myself, being from southeastern MI, grew up with Domino's and Little Caesar's. Laugh as you might, both of these large chains started out as neighborhood pizza shops in the Ann Arbor and Detroit area.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Sage

You said laugh - so I did

There had to be better pizza places than that. Or the originals were much better than the franchise result. Heck Domino's even realized it and completely changed their recipe recently. And is Little Caesar's even around anymore? All of them near me went out of business.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Default Pizza

Locally, Little Joey's on 441 and Giovanni's.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.