Pizza

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Default Re: Pizza

We found the best NY pizza right in Lake Sumpter Landing. Bravo Pizza. :#1: It's the best Pizza we have found since moving to Fl. :bigthumbsup: We currently live in Miami, but bought a home in The V 3 years ago. We visit often and our favorite place to eat pizza is Bravo. They have the right formula of cheese sauce and oil. The crust is thin and chewy. Makes my mouth water just to think of it. Can't wait to get back up there in July. 040
Old 06-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Eternal Member

Just like there is absolutely no Barbecue as good as that with which you grew up (in my case, that's true cuz I'm from KC), there is no pizza quite as good as the one back home. In my case, it was Balistreri's at 5050 Main in KC. I've spent the last 40 years trying to find one close to it.

To each his own. Some people love a NY slice, others hate it. Some love Chicago deep dish, others can't tolerate it. Such is taste and tradition. Now if y'all had Balistreri's, you'd realize your mistake, but that's not going to happen.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Muncle

There are so many different types of bbq and I get confused! Not sure if my favorite is KC, Memphis, Texas, Carolinas or what.

I like my bbq ribs saucy...not dry...has to have sauce covering them. The sauce needs to be somewhat sweet.

So...where do I find this type...Memphis? KC? Where? Anywhere in TV's?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01
Muncle

There are so many different types of bbq and I get confused! Not sure if my favorite is KC, Memphis, Texas, Carolinas or what.

I like my bbq ribs saucy...not dry...has to have sauce covering them. The sauce needs to be somewhat sweet.

So...where do I find this type...Memphis? KC? Where? Anywhere in TV's?
During some of my lost years of the 70's, I worked in a BBQ place in KC. First of all, we didn't use those fancy babyback ribs, just big ol slab of pork ribs. We'd rub them down with a fairly spicy dry rub and hickory smoke them for several hours. As soon as we took them out of the smoker, we'd spread a bit of honey on them. Before serving, we'll slather them up with a good, tomato based sauce, kinds sweet with a bit of a tang. That method is still my favorite. I've had them where the place soak 'em in sauce and pretty much ladles them out to serve. Some places (and individuals) put the sauce on while the meat is still cooking on a grill or even in a smoker. Just leads to burned meat. For heaven, just give me a short end laid out on a couple slices of fresh white bread with a decent sauce flavoring 'em but not drowning them. And then there's beef brisket. . .

Around TV, probably the best is Oakwood. They're not Gates or Bryants or Smoke Stack or Rosedale, but if I have to, they're not bad. And Sonny's is acceptable. When Bonos closed, we lost a landmark. That had to be the worst BBQ known to man.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Veteran member

I love the Binghamton references. I am stuck up in Elmira for a few more weeks, so yes it appears that Nirchi's is winning all of the awards. We have one down the street and I really don't care for it, I much prefer Pudgie's or Wegman's. That's the great thing about this this topic, there are no right or wrong answers.
I just have to say that I was shocked to find my favorite pizza (of all time) in the Villages! Yes, better than Bocce Club in Buffalo or Capt. Tony's in Rochester. I give you..... Mallory Hill!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:03 AM

Stravos is pretty good. They have two locations in Leesburg. The closest is near where 466A meets 27/441. They are Greek and do Italian pretty well.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Veteran member

Suffered "sticker shock" last night . Ordered take out from Bravos in Sumter Landing. A medium 2 topping regular crust pizza, nothing special, medium pizza with the 2 toppings. I had to emphasize the order. My fault for not asking "how much" when ordered, I had to ask twice when picking up my pie since I thought I hadn't heard the price correctly the first time. $18.72 .

When the tip jar was placed conveniently near as I paid, I'm sure hoping for the balance of my 20, I made it obvious I was pocketing my change. Didn't feel like tipping the cashier after being overcharged.

Can't say as I will return soon. Oh, the pizza was just OK not great. Have been there several other times for single slices. Can't compete with Nirchis, Bocces, and several other places in Central/western NY. My favorite here for Sun. night take out in the villages (Giovannis) was closed for vacation for the week. IMHO, far and away better for considerably less money.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Chuckster - you got off easy! See my post on the Pauly's Pizza thread. We paid $27.50 as naive new residents for a regular pie, no toppings, and 2 sodas (cups, not bottles) delivered to us while we were waiting for our furniture to arrive in January. TOTV friends have made suggestions for more reasonable service.
[BTW, if you call any of the local pizza places for delivery, they refer you to a third party delivery service to place your order.]
Old 07-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

OUCH!! They definitely got in your pocket. Incidentally mine was not delivered but picked up on my way home. From your comments doubt if I will ever go for home delivery.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Yes, where is some good "Chicago style pizza" for us Chicagoans who have moved to the Villages? We also need a deli with some good German brats.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM

No deep dish Chicago-style in TV. We bring frozen Malnati's back with us on each trip.

Try Big City Grill for Home Run Inn pizza if you have a taste for Chicago-thin.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:24 PM

These merchants in TV think the residents are all rich. Besides the tremendous rent they have to pay.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 PM

The Villages Florida

Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 PM

As I am a widower, I make my own pizza. It really is better than a few of the locals that I tried. Thin, crispy with a nicely flavored and chewy crust.

The Villages Florida
Old 07-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538
As I am a widower, I make my own pizza. It really is better than a few of the locals that I tried. Thin, crispy with a nicely flavored and chewy crust.

The Villages Florida
Midge538,
Save me a slice, PLEASE!!!!
Gene
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.