Pork roast and sauerkraut for a Happy New Year.

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Veteran member
Default Gracie,

I was wondering too if the pork could be done in a slow cooker. How long is a long time? The menu sounds great. I'm going to try it out. That would be the basis of pulled pork would it not? Always wondered how that was made.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francie View Post
No special tradition for me, but with a forecast up here in Buffalo NY of 60 winds and lake effect snow, a big pot of chile is on my stove. Happy New Year to all my TOTV friends. Good health is my prayer and wish for you in 2012.
My sister-in-law just moved to Saratoga, NY from Buffalo about 3 months ago. She used to tell us about the lake affect snow and wind! Burrrrrr....
Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
well, looks like i might get to be the unluckiest poster on this thread! no pork, no sauerkraut, no black-eye peas, no collards/kale, no mashed potatoes! am cookin' up a slow roasted prime rib roast and serving baked potato and string beans almondine along side. n.y. style cheese cake for dessert.

my father always told us that if it wasn't for bad luck, our family wouldn't have any luck at all. bless his soul - he is gone from us 40 years today - thankfully, he hasn't always been right! the other good news is that one of my nieces is scheduled to bless the family with a new baby this summer!
Great news about the new baby but with your luck maybe you should start the pork tradition! I didn't have pork either. I'm beginning to get paranoid.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I will cook a large pork roast in my dutch oven at 325 for several hours.

On top of the pork I have put one package of refrigerated sauerkraut, one peeled cut up apple, cut up medium onion and a half can of beer. On top I will place about a tablespoon of brown sugar. I will bake it low and slow for several hours until it is falling apart tender and serve it with mashed potatoes.

Mike Mason? What do they call the the sauerkraut/pork broth in Deutchland? I sort of remember the German word for it is something like brill..but I think that is a fish..

If I don't do this pork and sauerkraut cooking and eating then all of my German ancestors will see to it that I do not have a Happy New Year.

What is your traditional food today, on this first day of 2012????

Happy New Year everyone and twenty two hugs to each.
Schweinbraten
Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
And we've got a winner!!!!

I'm on my way!!! Set another place at the table!
so wish you could have been here!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Great news about the new baby but with your luck maybe you should start the pork tradition! I didn't have pork either. I'm beginning to get paranoid.
happi - am thinkin' maybe i'll cook a pork roast next sunday with a candied sweet potato and apple side dish - not too far from new year's day! would be happy if that just brought a little luck in the new year - i don't need a lot!

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.