Portillo's update

Old 05-25-2024, 05:52 AM
Default Portillo's update

Any update to the new Portillo's coming to town?
Thanks in advance for any update.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:32 AM
Gold member

Have not broken ground yet. At least a year away.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,439 Times in 5,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Have not broken ground yet. At least a year away.
Wonder why they have not started construction?
Old 05-26-2024, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wonder why they have not started construction?
Probably permits. Wawa took a long time for permits to be issued, property is just being cleared.

So far the longest permit wait seems to be Harry and the natives. Has to be over a year, maybe longer, since the announcement . Site work started few weeks ago.
Old 05-28-2024, 08:38 AM
Gold member

Maybe second guessing on this location? I think it is a bad place for a Portillos.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Maybe second guessing on this location? I think it is a bad place for a Portillos.
Why? Plenty of people from the Chicagoland/Illinois area that would be customers. While some of their fare is pretty standard (burgers, hot dogs), I don't know of any place around here that has a similar beef sandwich or polish sausage.

I've eaten at the one in Orlando and Claremont, and the taste is what I remember from Chicago. Eat there every week/month? Probably not. But nice to have options.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:14 AM

I heard they backed out of the Lady Lake location. The Villages newspaper used to include their progress every week in the paper, but took them out completely this week. I hope they backed out because the location was not suitable and will find another location here soon
Old 05-29-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Why? Plenty of people from the Chicagoland/Illinois area that would be customers. While some of their fare is pretty standard (burgers, hot dogs), I don't know of any place around here that has a similar beef sandwich or polish sausage.

I've eaten at the one in Orlando and Claremont, and the taste is what I remember from Chicago. Eat there every week/month? Probably not. But nice to have options.
Great Chicago Fire Brewery and Tap Room in Leesburg has some decent Chicago hot dogs, beef sandwiches and Maxwell St Polish. However, they do not offer fries.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:22 AM

Where's Abe Froman when you need him?
Old 05-30-2024, 03:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,341 Times in 392 Posts

Its just another fast food restaurant. Just what we need here in TV.
Old 05-30-2024, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,439 Times in 5,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
But apparently it is different fast food
Old 05-30-2024, 06:13 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank GSDO View Post
Any update to the new Portillo's coming to town?
Thanks in advance for any update.
Way off topic I realize, and usually not a negative individual, but yesterday had to be in Clermont and stopped at Portillo's on route 50. I can't remember when I have had such a disappointing experience. Was looking so forward to them building here, but it's so totally different since they sold it as a franchise, if you're longing for the old Portillo's in the city of Chicago, this is not the same place or the same menu. Clermont was a GIGANTIC McDonald's with even worse food in my opinion. Hot dog was so tough, nothing like the Portillo's we knew, fries were the same frozen brand crinkle cut you buy at the grocery, the legendary chocolate cake is now served prepackaged at a "grab and go" shelf. I know this is so negative, but I was so excited and now I'm sure that's what we are going to get here too. Maybe people who did not frequent the pre franchise version will love it. Has the "feel" of the old Ed Debevic's retro theme place on Ohio minus the "charm" of Debevic's. Not negative, just longing for the "original", LOL ! People here will probably enjoy their Italian beef sandwiches, they are not the same either, but since they are not easy to find in central Florida, they will probably be popular here. We were told they delayed construction as they wanted to see the road project finished first, have no idea if that is actually correct ! ?

Last edited by Pairadocs; 05-30-2024 at 06:17 PM. Reason: sp correction
Old 05-30-2024, 06:26 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Yes, "fast food" of every kind and description seems to be in high demand here, maybe everywhere in the USA ? But this is NOT the Portillo's you knew, if you are from the actual city of Chicago and not the burbs. The "new" franchised Portillo's (sadly, sadly) does not resemble the "old place". What a shame, but we're in the minority. The Clermont location testifies to the fact that people can't ever get enough "fast food" places, and yes, Portillo's is now more automated and faster than McDonald's ! If The Villages did not need more fast food places, we'd definitely not be getting them. They know what people want and how to make the $$$, and "fine dining", lol, has limited appeal...you have to be where people have the money, not where so many are on S.S., but.....so many families, employees, minimum wage workers moving to central Florida that the demand for even more fast food will continue. In my (worthless ? LOL ?) opinion, "fast food" is what is truly expensive for what you get ! But I seem to be in the minority LOL !

Tags
update, portillos, coming, town, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.