A "Real Fish" Story...

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Question A "Real Fish" Story...

During Lent on Fridays many of the families in my childhood suburban Pittsburgh neighborhood would end up at a local tavern (a "Beer Joint", for those of you from the area), or the local Fire Hall to feast on fish sandwiches and a brew or two and "pop" for the kids, of course.

I'm not talking about the "homogenized", tasteless, food factory offerings that many restaurants seem to offer today. I mean a real hunk of battered and deep fried fish on a big bun. The kind of fish that sticks out both ends and crunches when you bite into it, then falls apart in large tender chunks of steaming white morsels full of fresh flavor.

Since moving from the area, I have not been able to find what I often refer to as a "real fish sandwich". I don't know if it has gone by the wayside, or if you can find it somewhere... especially The Villages! We are not there yet, but I am hoping this elusive delicacy will be available when we finally do arrive. Otherwise, I may be forced to leave the church and give up on this fish on Friday thing!

Last edited by Allen; 02-19-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
During Lent on Fridays many of the families in my childhood suburban Pittsburgh neighborhood would end up at a local tavern (a "Beer Joint", for those of you from the area), or the local Fire Hall to feast on fish sandwiches and a brew or two and "pop" for the kids, of course.

I'm not talking about the "homogenized", tasteless, food factory offerings that many restaurants seem to offer today. I mean a real hunk of battered and deep fried fish on a big bun. The kind of fish that sticks out both ends and crunches when you bite into it, then falls apart in large tender chunks of steaming white morsels full of fresh flavor.

Since moving from the area, I have not been able to find what I often refer to as a "real fish sandwich". I don't know if it has gone by the wayside, or if you can find it somewhere... especially The Villages! We are not there yet, but I am hoping this elusive delicacy will be available when we finally do arrive. Otherwise, I may be forced to leave the church and give up on this fish on Friday thing!
We've found that what you are talking about is essentially a northeast thing. We have had a pretty decent fish fry at the Light House in Lake Sumter Landing and I see in the paper where St. Teresa's in Belleview is having fish fries throughout lent. There may be a service club or two that may also have them locally. I know that in Zephyrhills the Eagles Club does a bang up job, but that's too far to travel for fish.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Actually, The Lighthouse Restaurant has a pretty good battered fish sandwich. It's a huge piece of haddock that sticks out on both sides of the bun like you're craving. If only they had a good fresh baked crusty roll like we get up north it would be perfect.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 AM

I had a nice piece of battered haddock at Tierra Del Sol, it was huge. Like the fillets I use to get at Phillips when I was a kid.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

Try the fish sandwich at Caine Garden. Even the roll is decent.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Eternal Member

The MacDonald's fish fillet has always been a favorite of mine. Ask for an extra tube of tarter sauce.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Platinum member

Try Orange Blossom C.C. on Friday. Their fried fish is the best!!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.