recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I pretty much love anything if I don't have to cook it or wash up after it. I do find that the meals I get at the various country club restaurants are typically the best I get when I go out. I particularly like Evans Prairie, Belle Glade, Havana, and Bonifay.
Thanks! ...I'll definitely give these a try and all others.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 PM

If you had issues with all of those restaurants, this is probably not the community for you.
You would probably be happier somewhere else that has high end restaurants that you seem to want.
Good luck. [/QUOTE]

Brrr...I feel the chill and it's not from the weather.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
Koyame for good fresh Asian.
Giovanni's and Chef's of Napoli for Italian.
Sakura for Japaneese and Sushi.
For steak we buy meat at Fresh Market and grill our own. If we want a dining experience we go to Bern's Steak House in Tampa.
We like Son Rising and Little bits for breakfast also will go off campus to The Dam Diner.
We like Bonefish and Carrabba's as far as chains go.
The Country Clubs are adequate but not special in our opinion.
We go off campus or cook our own seafood.
We go to The Lighthouse off season, I like their fish and chips.
If you look you will find the little places that match your taste, some may be off campus.
Almost forgot Mystic for great adult ice cream.
thank you, Opus for this thorough and thoughtful and friendly response. There is more to a community than food, there is also neighborliness and you definitely demonstrated that. thank you!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
People from areas like New York and Chicago may be disappointed in the food here.

I know of one person who moved back to Seattle because of her need for gourmet cuisine.

I am a decent cook so I prepare a lot of our meals at home, and enjoy dining out with friends and I have my favorites. I love the catfish at The Lighthouse with the slaw with pineapple and oranges.

I love the brisket sandwich with possibly the best cabbage beef soup on the planet on Wednesday at Toojays.

I adore the ribs any night at Oakwood Barbecue, just off campus.

I really enjoy the portobello swiss pizza at Mallory.

I love the sumptuous burger at Arnold Palmers, And the mushroom brie soup at Nancy Lopez.

But we are not an epicurean mecca. So please do NOT be swayed by me.

If excellent food is what you are looking for, I think you will be disappointed.

I could not be anywhere else because the most artistic people I have ever met seem to all retire here. Both in music and in visual art.

And some of the life stories people have shared shows you that many people who can choose to live anywhere, choose here.
and there is definitely more to a community than food and our decision would not be made on that alone. I have not lived in chicago or NY, visited both rarely, but definitely have experienced good food, not fried and not fancy, in dallas, NJ, Pa, and most currently the eastern shore of Maryland...just well prepared. I am sure there must be restaurants within TV with that standard...and even the ones I visited once may have that standard as a norm, just wasn't my good fortune to experience it on this visit. Thank you for your thoughtful response, GracieGirl.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleeh View Post
I am surprised that there wouldn't be a mix of mediocre to high dining in a community of residents as large as TV. Disappointing that I have to get in my car and drive to Orlando for a good meal. Perhaps finding these adequate keeps a restaurateur from striving to be better.
I didn't mean you have to drive to Orlando for a good meal, but you specified "beautifully prepared food".
Many people in TV eat out every night of the week, rather than occasionally.
I wouldn't classify any restaurants as "high dining"; but our Country Club Restaurants and chains like Bonefish make a lot of us happy.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgjim View Post
I am hardly a foodie. In fact, when I first moved to Minneapolis, I ate out mostly at chain restaurants. But, over the years that followed, I began to discover some great restaurants and have been eager to try out some creative fusion food and Midwestern delights. Now that I've decided to move to The Villages, I'm resolved to go off the reservation in order to find interesting places to eat. I just hope that we 110,000 are the pioneers who will attract the chefs who create great dining experiences. Maybe I live in a dream world. I won't let the lack of great restaurants stop me from living in what is otherwise a paradise.
that is what I feel as well...that I wouldn't choose to come or go based on restaurant quality alone. But I definitely know that good, well-prepared food, not talking fancy or gourmet as some have attributed to me, is doable in TV if it is doable in the small town I currently reside. I am not talking pretentious presentations, I am strictly speaking of care of preparation. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post with thought.

Last edited by kleeh; 02-19-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: wrong word usage
Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck90199 View Post
You might want to look at the Villages Gourmet Club website to get an idea of the quality of the restaurant you're planning to go to. We've found their ratings to be pretty accurate.

The Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant Review Site

thanks,

Chuck
Thank you, Chuck. I appreciate the guidance.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I didn't mean you have to drive to Orlando for a good meal, but you specified "beautifully prepared food".
Many people in TV eat out every night of the week, rather than occasionally.
I wouldn't classify any restaurants as "high dining"; but our Country Club Restaurants and chains like Bonefish make a lot of us happy.
I haven't eaten at a Bonefish, my hubby has and he has stated that he likes it and our best experience was at a club. Also, I would like to clarify what I mean by "beautifully prepared food": not greasy, not floating in sauce, not cold when it is meant to be eaten hot, not overcooked, not undercooked. I am definitely not talking about haute cuisine. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to restate and for your response.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Golf here is more than any golfer could imagine. I have learned to cook so I have more time for golf!
I agree completely.
Which is easier for a DIY golfer? Learning how to cook great meals or finding 35+ free executive courses to play for free.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Chefs of Napoli is very very good. There are several dishes at the Lighthouse we really like such as the butterfish and scallop salad. Arnold Palmer is excellent, especially their rack of lamb. Most of the other country clubs are adequate, not great. My lady pals & I really enjoy Tapas.
thank you for these recommendations...that is what I was requesting! Will definitely give Arnold Palmer and Tapas a try or two or three. 'cause it appears that the Lighthouse is one of the favorite eateries, so it appears my disappointing choice just might not have been representative of the restaurant's best fare. Will definitely give it another go. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I agree completely.
Which is easier for a DIY golfer? Learning how to cook great meals or finding 35+ free executive courses to play for free.
Yes, I too agree that restaurants is not the main criteria for considering TV. But a few really good restaurant, note that I did not say fancy, gourmet or haute cuisine, with well prepared fare would be a super bonus. And I am not saying that there are not such restaurants in TV...I've only tried 4 and of the 4 one was entirely acceptable. And the other 3 will be given another opportunity if we move here...will choose different menu items in case my first choices weren't their best productions.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleeh View Post
If you had issues with all of those restaurants, this is probably not the community for you.
You would probably be happier somewhere else that has high end restaurants that you seem to want.
Good luck.
Brrr...I feel the chill and it's not from the weather.[/QUOTE]
I apologize if that's how it sounded. I certainly didn't mean it to.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

You stated in the OP that you don't eat out that much. Don't know what that means.........but I would not decide to move, or not move, to a community that didn't provide the ultimate in dining.......not that much.
BTW over a 100,000 are surviving on the restaurants located here. And these restaurants seem to be doing quite well.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

It is a learning curve to find the "good" restaurants, or okay restaurants that have one or two good items on their menu. I love fine dining but am more than happy with a clean restaurant with good food and friendly service. My personal experience with restaurants on campus is as follows:

McAlister's Deli or Crispers for a good, fresh fast lunch
Glenview CC for a good, leisurely lunch (and a fantastic view)
Cane Garden CC for their tuna fish salad, but service can be inconsistent
Ricciardi's for a date night. They also have fun group events
Nancy Lopez and Arnold Palmer CC for a little more upscale evening dining

I was not impressed with Too-Jay's, Bonifay CC or Mallory CC. That is just my personal opinion.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 02-20-2015, 11:19 AM

The best seafood restaurants are in the Fl Keys. The Fishouse in Key Largo, mm - 102401. Fresh from the ocean. The Green Turtle Inn in Islamorada - mm 81. And on Cudjoe Key - mm 22.5 -The Square Grouper. Very reasonable. All excellent. But closer by...in Tarpon Springs we like Rusty Bellies. I realize all are kind of far but to get "fresh". Seafood you have to go to where the action is.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.