Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,007 Times in 385 Posts
Default Red Lobster Chain Goes Bankrupt After Unlimited Shrimp Deal

Not been to one in years, but hope they come back after a restructuring
Old 05-20-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Not been to one in years, but hope they come back after a restructuring
Hmmm...I thought most people on this forum are epicureans and would not enter a Red lobster.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,007 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Hmmm...I thought most people on this forum are epicureans and would not enter a Red lobster.
I'm Virgo, but I don't let astrology get between me and a salty bread roll
Old 05-20-2024, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,419 Times in 5,511 Posts

Just wish I did not find out how unhealthy their cheese biscuits are
Old 05-21-2024, 05:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,776 Times in 1,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Like life. Everything really fun is either immoral, illegal, or fattening.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:09 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
My doctor told me if the food taste good then it isn't good for you.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Fat and salt are key to good tasting food. I remember Anthony Bourdain writing about the massive amounts of butter that high end restaurants use.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Fat and salt are key to good tasting food.
Another urban myth.

There are many herbs and spices which we can add to our food which are far less damaging than over-doing the salt (and are often actually beneficial) but it is our laziness that makes us reach for the salt instead.

Food manufacturers know that we are addicted to the stuff so add it in copious quantities whereas they, too, should be using healthier alternatives.

No-one wants a nanny state, but anything that contributes to 1 in 10 deaths in the USA should be more closely controlled. Think about this next time you're shocked at your health insurance premiums.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,419 Times in 5,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post
Another urban myth.

There are many herbs and spices which we can add to our food which are far less damaging than over-doing the salt (and are often actually beneficial) but it is our laziness that makes us reach for the salt instead.

Food manufacturers know that we are addicted to the stuff so add it in copious quantities whereas they, too, should be using healthier alternatives.

No-one wants a nanny state, but anything that contributes to 1 in 10 deaths in the USA should be more closely controlled. Think about this next time you're shocked at your health insurance premiums.
So very true. Watch food prep shows and be amazed at what goes into what they serve
Old 05-21-2024, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

I grew up loving shrimp anywhere I could get them, including Red Lobster. But then I moved to Florida and had local, fresh-caught shrimp. There is no comparison. I can barely eat shrimp at RL any more unless it's the coconut shrimp, where I am enjoying the fried coconut batter more than I am the shrimp. Their fish & chips and fish sandwiches are pretty good to me and their other fish can be good. Their crab legs can be OK (other than too small, but that's true everywhere due to over-harvesting crabs) but the preparation seems hit-or-miss. The same with their lobster. In all, RL is just above mediocre for me. My wife and I go now only when we're hungry and happen to be close to one. They're never too busy to seat us and the wait staff around here are generally pretty good. I feel bad for the staff at the Leesburg location, which has closed.
Old 06-07-2024, 07:58 PM

It was a bummer to see the Leesburg location closed last month.

Read today that the Red Lobster location in TV may be in jeopardy of closing as well:

Nearly 130 more Red Lobster restaurants are in danger of closing: See list of locations
Old 06-07-2024, 10:12 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
That's the truth. The day I actually read the details was a dark day indeed ! How horrifying that one could actually eat in one basket of biscuits more salt than a human body should have in a month, or more calories than one "needs" for a week. Check out the boxes of R.L. cheddar bay biscuit mix in the stores.... not much better except at home you "could" dispense with the melted butter and herbs that are soaked into them before serving ! Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then..... was that Bob Seger ? LOL !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 06-07-2024 at 10:14 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-07-2024, 10:31 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
So very true. Watch food prep shows and be amazed at what goes into what they serve
People just have to rely on themselves, be informed and make judgments. Deep down most people know "restaurant food", fast food to five star, is not optimal for health. But we've always had these juxtapositions; smoking "bad" but once HIGHLY advertised, even targeting teens with pictures of having the BEST times boating, bike riding, at the beach, everything better with cigarettes, same with beer. Now it's sugar, another substance that has always been around, but never consumed in the quantities of today. Now you can't pick up a product, examine the label for "sugars" and SEE the natural content listed, and THEN ADDED sugars ! This often exceeds 10 or even 12 times the grams naturally present. It's pretty shocking, the government is very "concerned" as it is believed that sugar (an abundance of sugar) contributes to diabetes, several cancers, heart and vascular conditions....and many other medical conditions. But is it up to the government to be our "parents", to "allow" or disallow soda to be sold ? Average cola 37 grams, or about almost 9 teaspoons of sugar (8.75). How many of us go for a burger, or out for pizza, and drink ONLY 12 oz. 37 grams, of cola ? Up to us to reject unhealthy choices. However, it is difficult when you find things like yogurt, ketchup, mustard (???), even some cans of beans, most popular breakfast cereals (raisin bran sounds VERY healthy....not !), and many grocery items most would never suspect contain sugar, DO ! Law requires label disclosure but, how many really read them ? Plus, it's impossible to completely avoid eating prepared foods and restaurant food in modern life. Can't go to a double headed and not eat all day long, and certainly not permitted to bring on healthy foods in.... LOL ! At hotel and cruise ship buffets, even STEAMED vegetables are loaded with salt. Very difficult to "eat healthy", takes more dedication than I can usually summon up... especially with a basket of Red Lobster biscuits or Olive Garden bread sticks !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 06-07-2024 at 10:44 PM. Reason: omission
Old 06-07-2024, 10:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
It was a bummer to see the Leesburg location closed last month.

Read today that the Red Lobster location in TV may be in jeopardy of closing as well:

Nearly 130 more Red Lobster restaurants are in danger of closing: See list of locations
Just last weekend an employee here at the villages location told us a new, higher priced, menu is coming soon ! ?
Old 06-07-2024, 10:51 PM
Veteran member
Default Not the whole story

This had nothing to do with how many shrimp you could eat in one sitting.
Red Lobster was bought by venture capitalists Golden Gate Capital and that's where the death spiral started. Golden Gate Capital spun off its real estate assets in a transaction known as a sale leaseback agreement. Red Lobster had long owned its own real estate but would now be paying rent to lease its restaurants. As the land became more valuable the leases payments continue to increase. Red Lobster became stuck with leases it no longer could afford to pay. Now with bankruptcy Golden Gate capital is free to sell the land… Which is what they really wanted to do all along. Welcome to the American way!

Tags
red, back, hope, years, lobster

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.