Red Sauce in Sumter? Never Again!

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2022, 08:09 AM
Default red sauce

Best restaurant in The Villages
Old 03-11-2022, 08:17 AM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico
Default Redsauce

Agree with food comments on this restaurant.
We ate there a couple of months ago and the food was subpar, certainly not "wonderful " as several friends said. Could be that we've lived in Italy for several years and have had extensive cooking lessons with Med chefs that have elevated our palates, but sorely disappointed. That said, we usually return 1 more time to taste the food again and if it remains subpar we don't return. Might want to consider this step bc often restaurants have off nights!

QUOTE=BrianL99;2070694]I had the weirdest restaurant experience I can remember, at Red Sauce last night.

A friend drove down from Lecanto, to see a singer he knew, who was singing at Red Sauce last night.

We were seated at a table, without a view of the "stage" area. Before ordering, we noticed the table next to us was empty and had been, for 30+ minutes. As that table had a view of the entertainment, we asked our server if we could move to that table. After checking the Reservation List, he came back and told us the table was available and moved us.

1/2 way through our meal (45 minutes after we had sat down), the "host" came over to us and insisted we move from the table, as it was "reserved". We were 1/2 way through our meals. He didn't even do the "moving", we did.

In what universe is that acceptable hospitality service in a restaurant?

As an aside to the incompetent management, my friend's steak dinner was OK, my Chicken Piccata tasted like a "Stouffer's Frozen Dinner", not fully microwaved. I sent it back once, but when they still couldn't manage to do any better, I gave up.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-11-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I had the weirdest restaurant experience I can remember, at Red Sauce last night.

A friend drove down from Lecanto, to see a singer he knew, who was singing at Red Sauce last night.

We were seated at a table, without a view of the "stage" area. Before ordering, we noticed the table next to us was empty and had been, for 30+ minutes. As that table had a view of the entertainment, we asked our server if we could move to that table. After checking the Reservation List, he came back and told us the table was available and moved us.

1/2 way through our meal (45 minutes after we had sat down), the "host" came over to us and insisted we move from the table, as it was "reserved". We were 1/2 way through our meals. He didn't even do the "moving", we did.

As an aside to the incompetent management, my friend's steak dinner was OK, my Chicken Piccata tasted like a "Stouffer's Frozen Dinner", not fully microwaved. I sent it back once, but when they still couldn't manage to do any better, I gave up.
I am understand your frustration. I like Red Sauce and hope this type of thing doesn’t happen to me. Usually a restaurant would ask if a party minded moving.

But for those who have answered that they would refuse to move, I’ll say this: you are a quest in their establishment. If you are told to move and refuse then the police would probably be called to move you. The same that would happen like on an airplane. See what would happen to you took someone’s seat in a biker bar and refused to move when told.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:39 AM

The good reviews are from years gone by when the chef left the restaurant couple years ago I noticed a downturn in the quality of the food.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy o View Post
I am understand your frustration. I like Red Sauce and hope this type of thing doesn’t happen to me. Usually a restaurant would ask if a party minded moving.

But for those who have answered that they would refuse to move, I’ll say this: you are a quest in their establishment. If you are told to move and refuse then the police would probably be called to move you. The same that would happen like on an airplane. See what would happen to you took someone’s seat in a biker bar and refused to move when told.
When I traveled a lot and had a reserved airplane seat, the flight attendant would sometimes ask me to change seats to accommodate someone else. Usually, my answer was that I will only move to First Class.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Did you tell the host that the server had allowed you to change tables? If so, I would have refused to move. Is it possible that the host wasn't aware that the server had allowed you to move, and assumed that you had moved on your own?
Did same thing to us one night, chalked up to poor management, lack of communication. Food was still good
Old 03-11-2022, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

Yeah! That would do wonders for their business.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Oh, wow we always got good service there! I can see why your upset, I probably would of too. You sure there’s something you not saying?
Old 03-11-2022, 09:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

There isn't a remote possibility that I would have moved when halfway through my meal.... that's crazy.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:53 AM

I agree.. always good food. The table was obviously reserved. You will see empty tables in busy places even though it is busy.. they’re reserved… most places set aside 1 1/2 hrs to eat.. one downside is reserved customers don’t call and cancel if they’re not coming.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:

I'd pay good money to see any restaurant hostess call the police to move people form a table in the middle of their meal...

Not gunna' happen...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-11-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I had the weirdest restaurant experience I can remember, at Red Sauce last night.

As an aside to the incompetent management, my friend's steak dinner was OK, my Chicken Piccata tasted like a "Stouffer's Frozen Dinner", not fully microwaved. I sent it back once, but when they still couldn't manage to do any better, I gave up.
I just think that it’s like everything else that’s going on in our country right now; workers just don’t take pride in how they treat other people or serve other people‘s needs. It used to be that the “customer is always right” or at least treated with respect, now it’s as if nobody really cares!
Old 03-11-2022, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Actually, almost anything is possible. Waiter may have gotten the ok to move the party, and the reservation was made after the move was made. We may likely never know what actually happened, but reserved or not, it was improper for the host to ask a party to move while they are eating. Many are the times I have been told that the previous party is still occupying the table and we could wait or be seated elsewhere. Somewhere in this scenario there was a break in communication. The host job is to try and accommodate all parties, not turn out parties in the middle of their meal.
Agree with everything you said. Something is either missing in OPs story or someone needs to start looking for another job
Old 03-11-2022, 10:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Unimpressive restaurant, so, after trying it, never went back. Bad behavior on the part of the restaurant has nothing to do with making a reservation or being a regular or anything else. A reserved table should be marked as such. Calling the police? Are you nuts?
Old 03-11-2022, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
More likely the host was the recipient of steady gratuities, from the "regulars" he gave our table to. (BTW, both parties were twosomes. We were eating dinner, the other twosome was having drinks.)
Now THAT casts a new light on this matter. They came for the intimacy or the entertainer, not the food. Definitely would have called the manager over for a complete explanation
Closed Thread

Tags
table, sauce, red, back, 1/2

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.