Restaurant Etiquette

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2023, 11:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,029 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I think I learned that expression while working on the Brooklyn waterfront when I was a teenager. I like it. It has served me well over the decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I coulda been a contender.
Ahhh... One of my favorite movies. A great movie. I also like it because my father's friend (a real contender) was in it. His character threw the beer can that hit the priest, Karl Malden, in the head. Abe Simon fought Joe Louis twice for the heavyweight title.
Attached Images
simon_12-jpg 
Old 03-15-2023, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,444 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Ahhh... One of my favorite movies. A great movie. I also like it because my father's friend (a real contender) was in it. His character threw the beer can that hit the priest, Karl Malden, in the head. Abe Simon fought Joe Louis twice for the heavyweight title.
What a great memory to have.
Those old fighters used to look the part.
15 rounds, and tough as old boots!
Old 03-21-2023, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
In this situation, my husband and I would have gone over to the bar for dinner. I know that Bonefish and the bar area is lovely. But I also know that not everyone likes sitting at the bar, eating dinner. That’s preferable to waiting an hour though IMO.
Hubby and I would go elsewhere for dinner. We do, however, enjoy snacks and wine at restaurant bar.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
we linger and that shouldn't be an issue, you guys approach this like there are only 4 tables in the restaurant..... I realize the age of the community prompts some of this, but really it's not my problem. my tips are based on table time. If i'm causing 1 less flip then I pay for it.

If you are waiting, thats a management issue? customer issue? actually it's not an issue in any city, unless you live around a bunch of grumps.
Most people base their tips on the check total minus the tax. Not everyone tips on "table time" as you do. I'm sure you don't tip based on the price of another meal that would have been generated if another party was seated at that table that you lingered at.

I just hope all of you who do linger while there are people waiting to be seated see yourself as the lingerers that you are! Move it. Move it. Move it.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickbent View Post

Implement a time frame? NUTS! that’s the last straw for lousy service in the US! We love to eating dinners out in other counties- Europe, S.America, NZ, Australia, et al where you are never pushed out just for table turnover. You go to dinner and virtually rent the place to dine leisurally- your check only comes when you request it. We have seen birthday dinners rushed by a hustling server. You are paying for good service, not just food alone. I’ve stabbed a waiter in the hand, who tried to take my plate away prematurely! Also, I tip well when allowed a leisurely meal, but less when I felt rushed. Dining out shouldn’t resemble eating in an army mess hall!
How do you feel when you are waiting over an hour for a table when you had a reservation for more than an hour ago?
Old 03-22-2023, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
How do you feel when you are waiting over an hour for a table when you had a reservation for more than an hour ago?
15 minutes and I'm on my way to someplace else. No place is that great.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

We stopped at Glenview without reservations the other night. Hostess said she could get us 15 tables to eat at, if they would just leave at a reasonable time after meal was finished.

Her quote “ their dinner finished from 30 to over an hour, with no signs of leaving, just continue to drink coffee, and kibbutz”. Wait staff loosing money by no table turnover. So it’s not just one restaurant that people take up residence.

The lobby was packed, and many just like us left to find something else
Old 03-22-2023, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,302 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We stopped at Glenview without reservations the other night. Hostess said she could get us 15 tables to eat at, if they would just leave at a reasonable time after meal was finished.

Her quote “ their dinner finished from 30 to over an hour, with no signs of leaving, just continue to drink coffee, and kibbutz”. Wait staff loosing money by no table turnover. So it’s not just one restaurant that people take up residence.

Wait, they went to live on a communal farm in Israel?

-Tom Petty
Old 03-22-2023, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,302 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:

And it's not just the "waitstaff" who's losing money...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-22-2023, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,784 Times in 5,280 Posts

Quote:

Does anyone think the restaurant management is correct to not ask the table hogs to leave?
Old 03-22-2023, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,531 Posts

While reflecting upon a lot of the comments here, I remembered that many countries and cultures do not typically entertain at home. This is not generally the case here in the US. Coffee bars, night clubs and other places are probably more appropriate choices. However, any establishment that has costs associated with its existence must make enough to survive. I might suggest that if patrons are not taking the hint after being asked if they would like dessert and receiving the check that the manager, with smiling face, approach the table and ask if they would like to continue their conversation to "please move to the bar as we have customers who have been waiting for quite sometime. Thank you, so much." Remain there with friendly smile, hand on back of chair (as if to assist),other hand and arm directing the way to the bar.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Does anyone think the restaurant management is correct to not ask the table hogs to leave?
Management at one restaurant will be having that conversation this week. Does management let tables know as they are seated, they is a time limit on the table once meals are completed and bill has arrived. Maybe offer them seats at the bar. Looking into if they are ordering bar drinks, then would leave table alone. But most are agreeable that the table’s that have camped out, are not their regular customers.

Restaurants are having issues with finding good staff, but staff will not stay if there’s no turnover
Old 03-22-2023, 09:05 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

So what if those who have occupied a table for a ridiculous amount of time are politely told by management that the table is needed for those who have been waiting for a long time.

So what if they are insulted and don't ever come back.

Who cares.

Such clods hurt a restaurant's bottom line and cost the servers a lot of money.

For every one of them who gets huffy and stomps out, there will be many more who are happy to know that management handles these situations.

Of course, servers will have to be sure they close out the bill and get the tip first so they don't get stiffed because the clods are insulted.

Boomer

PS: Maybe I am naive, but I think it would be better to handle this kind of behavior as it happens instead of issuing a "warning" to everybody as they are seated. I think most people are aware of how busy a restaurant is getting and will behave accordingly.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
15 minutes and I'm on my way to someplace else. No place is that great.
I tend to agree with you. Our party of seven on Christmas Eve, however, did wait over an hour for our table. We did have a reservation and arrived at the restaurant on time.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Management should request the offenders go to the bar and vacate the table. Period.

Tags
people, groups, restaurant, eat, group

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.