Restaurant Etiquette

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2023, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,921 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
The manager told me something I've never heard...or even considered.

He said "roughly 1/3 of the restaurant is completely done eating their meals, they have their checks on the table but are just visiting."
Restaurant economics:
the entire staff and building rent are fixed costs, people are a hybrid, but there is a minimum
The revenue and associated food/drink cost are variable costs, COS, cost of service.

Profitability of the restaurant depends upon the revenue less cost of service being greater than the fixed costs. If you then figure the average revenue and gross margin (revenue - variable costs) per customer, you have to serve # of customers per day to break even. Not all days are the same, so its ### customers per week.

The key to the big days (like weekends, but less so in TV where employment rate is very low) is high turnover, quick service and quick eats and out the door to do it again, ie more customers served. So there is a balance and some timing where lingering with many open tables is no big deal on slow days.

But managing that customer flow is critical to profitability, which is why the turnover concept is critical to financial success and staying in business. . as well as keeping employees who are good at their jobs. . in TV, its more like herding cats between the elderly who eat less and socialize more, and employees who can migrate to Orlando for better pay. .
Old 03-15-2023, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJacobs View Post

Management of the front of a restaurant is just as important as the kitchen. The kitchen has an expeditor who assures that all order that go to the front are prepared quickly and complete before brought to the front. The host/hostess in the front must actually run the front - not just be a greeter.
Well said!
Old 03-15-2023, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,804 Times in 1,260 Posts

How do people feel if they start clearing the table while someone is still actively eating?
Old 03-15-2023, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
It is exactly about current etiquette. If a restaurant doesn't have a posted policy of time limits at a table, it is the customer who should be polite and notice that there are people standing and waiting while they linger at a table for no reason.
But I've got a feeling that this won't sink in. Just gonna guess you are one who lingers for no reason while people are waiting to be seated.
we linger and that shouldn't be an issue, you guys approach this like there are only 4 tables in the restaurant..... I realize the age of the community prompts some of this, but really it's not my problem. my tips are based on table time. If i'm causing 1 less flip then I pay for it.

If you are waiting, thats a management issue? customer issue? actually it's not an issue in any city, unless you live around a bunch of grumps.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
This is an MBA case study. Management can improve turnover times to increase profits. If guests linger too long, waiters can wipe down tables with diluted spirits of ammonia.
/s
First off that is NOT a qualified reference NOR does it apply to the reality of the industry. There is no restaurant in this world that is going to give you 38 minutes unless they want to go out of business soon.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,684 Times in 1,534 Posts

It all boils down to one thing. Consideration. And there seems to be a decided lack of that particular virtue among some Villagers.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,775 Times in 5,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
we linger and that shouldn't be an issue, you guys approach this like there are only 4 tables in the restaurant..... I realize the age of the community prompts some of this, but really it's not my problem. my tips are based on table time. If i'm causing 1 less flip then I pay for it.

If you are waiting, thats a management issue? customer issue? actually it's not an issue in any city, unless you live around a bunch of grumps.
I would just point out that the OP only wanted a table for two and had a reservation. The manager made them wait an hour, and actually offered the lame excuse that, even though a third of the tables were available, the OP still had to wait because the people sitting at the tables were "just visiting".
Old 03-15-2023, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,921 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
How do people feel if they start clearing the table while someone is still actively eating?
there was no post with that statement. . . and there was no reference to that . . . and that is a totally made up preposterous question about restaurant mgmt. . .

Quote:

as i posted before, as people age, they either get more entitled or more appropriately, don't give a sh!t about anyone else or anything else anymore, as they realize the end is rapidly approaching and they themselves turn into grumps about common courtesy or financial success at their favorite gathering place. . .
Old 03-15-2023, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,296 Times in 4,308 Posts

Quote:

There's more to turning over a table that the waitstaff getting tips...

But the first step to fixing a problem is realizing you are the problem...

Now, it's time to take the 2nd step... When you're done, "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here..."

-Tom Petty
Old 03-15-2023, 07:55 AM

If this is your normal practice, please be considerate and go to your home or the home of one of the other guest for drinks and/or desserts. I hope you left a double tip for the waite staff as they lost money because of the over indulgence of your group.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,403 Posts

Quote:

Me, me, me……………..
Old 03-15-2023, 09:25 AM
Angry Time limits in restaurants? Bad Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Some restaurants have implemented a time frame. Not a bad idea.

Implement a time frame? NUTS! that’s the last straw for lousy service in the US! We love to eating dinners out in other counties- Europe, S.America, NZ, Australia, et al where you are never pushed out just for table turnover. You go to dinner and virtually rent the place to dine leisurally- your check only comes when you request it. We have seen birthday dinners rushed by a hustling server. You are paying for good service, not just food alone. I’ve stabbed a waiter in the hand, who tried to take my plate away prematurely! Also, I tip well when allowed a leisurely meal, but less when I felt rushed. Dining out shouldn’t resemble eating in an army mess hall!
Old 03-15-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Some restaurants have implemented a time frame. Not a bad idea.
Sure. And the next post would be from a Villager ‘outraged’ that they were asked to leave by the restaurant.

Villagers are an entitled bunch.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:21 AM

Yes, it happened to us at Bonefish a couple of months ago.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
there was no post with that statement. . . and there was no reference to that . . . and that is a totally made up preposterous question about restaurant mgmt. . .

as i posted before, as people age, they either get more entitled or more appropriately, don't give a sh!t about anyone else or anything else anymore, as they realize the end is rapidly approaching and they themselves turn into grumps about common courtesy or financial success at their favorite gathering place. . .
Older adults are just more realistic. When you hit 60-plus, you’ve been through your share of bad breaks, trauma and bereavement, not to mention financial loss. So they may seem grumpy but they also are more self-realized and confident. And likely they’ve been too nice during their life! Okay, that’s all, done now
Closed Thread

Tags
people, groups, restaurant, eat, group

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.