Restaurants cutting workers hours

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Sage

I feel that those of us that have been fortunate enough to afford our own, should financially help those in our communities like waiters and waitresses and any other low paying jobs that simply do not make enough to buy their own. Otherwise on target is right its: Screw you I got mine. I tip the wait staff 25 % or more for every meal we buy out. I would rather see every meal raised 30% with no tips allowed. Then the restaurant could afford to pay the wait staff a living wage and health insurance. That would bring better faster service and we could all be happy. It would also make the bad tippers fess up and become part of the solution rather than the problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
I feel that those of us that have been fortunate enough to afford our own, should financially help those in our communities like waiters and waitresses and any other low paying jobs that simply do not make enough to buy their own. Otherwise OnTrack is right its: Screw you I got mine. I tip the wait staff 25 % or more for every meal we buy out. I would rather see every meal raised 30% with no tips allowed. Then the restaurant could afford to pay the wait staff a living wage and health insurance. That would bring better faster service and we could all be happy. It would also make the bad tippers fess up and become part of the solution rather than the problem.

We have a neighbor who was bragging that the server forgot to bring her bill during a luncheon....and she didn't have to pay for her meal.

Like that's something to brag about?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTrack View Post

We have a neighbor who was bragging that the server forgot to bring her bill during a luncheon....and she didn't have to pay for her meal.

Like that's something to brag about?

The next time you see your neighbor, maybe you can explain to her that the waitress paid for her meal -- standard policy in restaurants in TV and many elsewhere. The restaurant didn't lose a dime.

As to the lowering of hours, yes, it is standard that employees get less hours, but it is usually cut down to 30 hours, not 25-29. When you're living on below-minimum wage and so-so tips that are now even less, frequently with children to support, that additional cut makes a huge difference.

Usually, several servers are put on hiatus until next season. This year, more have been kept on so that restaurants will be fully staffed with employees working less than 30 hours.

Life ain't fair and this certainly isn't, but I don't know what the answer is. Reality is restaurants need to make a profit and health insurance (and other benefits) are not something employees are going to get, no matter how much it is needed -- it's just not structured to happen.

I suppose customers could be asked to make up the difference so servers can get some sort of private insurance by including gratuities in the tab (the 18% they automatically deduct), with a recommendation that people leave additional tips for great service. Odds are that isn't going to happen, either. So, .........

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Lower hours, less pay means bad morale, which in turn translates to possible slower, less attentive workers and oh boy here comes the crummy food stories. Just like the Marriage story Happy Wife =Happy Life.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Fairness in all employment is very hard if not impossible to legislate unless we switch from democracy and the free market. I like democracy so that means if a server isn't secure, perhaps they should consider another kind of job.

We do what we can personally to always tip fairly or a little more. They are people who are working very hard and are to be admired just as most of us worked very hard and did our very best to take care of ourselves and our families.

Many of us have worked as servers at one time or another and so have our kids.

The problems of this world are very complex and we each think we know how they should be solved. That is the reason that we care so deeply and we have differences of opinions. We won't ever agree. Some of us are good to the core and some of us are selfish. And some like me are trying to improve.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Eternal Member

1. Healthcare should be a right, not subject to your employer.

2. Folks without heath insurance use the emergency room...it's expensive and you pay when you go to the hospital - hence a 200.00 dollar box of nose tissues.

3. Obamamcare is a wussy move to national healthcare. The french love their health system - the brits, too. Wanna have more options than government ones....buy a supplemental policy.

4. The major issue is that the gov tries to shave cost by shaving payments to docs. Docs make you pay because they go into great debt for their training. Maybe we should re-think this model.

One way or the other everyone gets treatment. Some better - some worse. Folks with assets always pay and maybe this is right and a just thing. I feel for the folks with serious conditions that will take their life - but, we pay a premium price to give them a band aide. There has got to be a better way.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.