Review Helpful hints

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I'll still try it but I just checked the link for this and I have to say in his Chicken Soup DH doesn't use most of what is on this list:

Great Value Frozen Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients: WATER, NOODLES (WATER, ENRICHED DURUM WHEAT FLOUR [DURUM WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], EGGS, EGG WHITES, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR), FULLY COOKED SEASONED CHICKEN PIECES (CHICKEN BREAST WITH RIB MEAT, CHICKEN THIGH MEAT, WATER, RICE STARCH, SALT), CARROTS, GREEN CABBAGE, CELERY, SEASONING (CORNSTARCH, SUGAR, GUAR GUM, SPICE, XANTHAN GUM, EXTRACTIVES OF TURMERIC [COLOR]), WHEAT FLOUR, CHICKEN STOCK (CHICKEN STOCK, NATURAL FLAVOR), SEA SALT, BUTTER (PASTEURIZED CREAM, NATURAL FLAVORS [LACTIC ACID, STARTER DISTILLATE]), CHICKEN FLAVOR CONCENTRATE (CHICKEN, YEAST EXTRACT, SALT, FLAVORING), PARSLEY, NATURAL FLAVOR
Try it you will enjoy the taste. One needs focus on the end product and try to forget that almost all food in cans or in the freezer section with sauce have preservatives...and that in most restaurants that things aren't really clean and you would run screaming if you knew every little thing about who and what touched your food.

Or don't try it. You don't know me from Adam. My friends will try it and they will add it to their list of things to have in their freezer for days they don't feel like cooking or want to go out.

Sigh.

Here is another disclaimer. I don't use crystal, only at Christmas and Thanksgiving... but I was taught to set a table. All this..."I know more about what's good than you, because I am from the East Coast is making me want to bite.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
This all is subjective on what is considered "good" or "bad"....I know of a woman who can't see well so would bake her famiy's pizza til it was nearly burnt. Couldn't see that it was that way and her family thought THAT was the way pizza should be cooked.

IF you never moved from your birth origin and ate what your mother fixed you and you went on to make those same things---does that make you inadequately "informed" on what is good and what isn't? What about the people who just can't "stomach" the thought of eating liver (pate) or snails (escargo...the spelling is wrong, I know) or beef tongue. The list could go on! IF you aren't Italian by birth---does that make it wrong to eat sauce from a jar? What about the Scandanavians who love lefse and lutifisk?? Just because what I may prefer to what others do, does that make me less than????
You forgot Rocky Mountain Oysters---

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-28-2019, 11:02 AM
Sage

Rocky MTN had them in Durango--OK, but prefer the real oysters, and not the fancy Puget Sound ones, either
Old 09-28-2019, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Rocky MTN had them in Durango--OK, but prefer the real oysters, and not the fancy Puget Sound ones, either
I had Rocky Mountain Oysters in Ft. Collins CO and i really like them .I love shellfish oysters from the east west and southern coasts. I love all shellfish.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:22 PM
Sage
Default Squirrel for dinner

My father grew up on a farm in eastern Iowa during the Great Depression. He has said that since the and his father and brothers could hunt and fish and my grandmother had a garden, they never went hungry.

My father has given up hunting a long time ago, but he still enjoys squirrel. Squirrel season in Iowa started almost a month ago, and he has several squirrels in the freezer ready for the frying pan or the crockpot.

I personally don't like eating squirrel. My youngest sister loves it. When I first moved to Chicago and told people I had eaten squirrel, I received many funny looks and comments.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:16 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

[QUOTE=Chatbrat;1683651]I know The Villages is a totally diverse community, made up of people from various locations & backgrounds.

I would give more credence to restaurant review , if a poster would mention their age and what states they lived in

Kansan"s & Texans know steaks . NYC, Boston & NJ know Italian

Maine residents know lobster

This is not elitism-- its more of a guide to help us &others avoid dining mistakes[/QUOTE
An interesting guide. My family has been in the beef industry for decades. (A family of butchers... even though that's dying industry). But we're not from Texas or Kansas so I won't give my opinion.
Not even going to comment if you're from the other 43 states... you're opinion isn't relevant. You might be a 6th generation Italian... but your opinion on Italian restaurants is irrelevant. That's good to know.

I think that's fine.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:34 PM
Gold member

Hmm...since I grew up in upstate NY and spent part of my adult life there, 8 years in rural PA, 26 years in NC, a couple years in TX, 10 years in FL and I also owned several rental properties in SC for 15 years I guess I really know Italian, venison and freshwater fish, NC vinegar based BBQ, steaks, Texas BBQ and seafood.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,272 Posts

I'm in the Puget Sound. Therefore I know fancy oysters..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I lived at Lake Michigan for 25 years. I know whitefish and lake perch. And snow. Lots of snow.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
VKI Steakhouse is the teppanyaki /sushi restaurant in Lake Sumter Landing just down the street from the movie house. Almost across the street from the Purple Pig shop. Very good.
Thanks. Do you like their sushi? Looking for a decent sushi place to take our son this winter.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Sushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Thanks. Do you like their sushi? Looking for a decent sushi place to take our son this winter.
Tony's Sushi in Ocala
Old 09-29-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,531 Posts

Not a fussy person so I will eat good, bad, and indifferent food, prefer good, so usually eat in.
As my mother used to say, when I biched about stuff as a kid, "Hunger is a good kichen. You will eat it today, tomorrow, or when it's ready to walk out the door!"
Old 09-30-2019, 05:38 AM

I did too till found out made with yesterday’s left over hamburgers. Not sure if it is a problem or not
Old 09-30-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Now what is a Coney , what does made in "D" mean--
A “Coney” is a Coney Island hot dog with coney chili on it, not regular chili. “D” is Detroit and “National” is National Coney Island restaurant in the Detroit area.

You can get a hot dog with National chili on it Saturdays and Sundays at the hot dog stand outside Home Depot.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

The only way Texans know steaks is if they are eating Iowa beef.

Don’t know or care where the beef comes from but Texas knows how to prepare beef! I lived in Ohio for 62 yrs, & lived in the Villages for 8 yrs. & presently live in Texas & there’s no doubt Texas knows steak no matter where the beef comes from. The Villages does have a lot of excellent food but not beef!
Closed Thread

Tags
review, italian, lived, kansans, maine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.