RJ Gators in Sumter Landing (worth trying again?)

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2023, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

My opinion is quick dinner or lunch the sports bars are OK , in that category Millers Ale House is our choice , nice dinner with proper setting for dinner, Lopez Legacy , or Havana CC ,Bluefin is good , Chop House mixed review.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,871 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers4649 View Post
A couple years ago we had a lifestyle visit and went to RJ Gators and it was awful. Now, this was at the very end of Covid. Places were struggling with help and stuff.

In addition to that we probably chose the wrong things to order. Would have had better luck with wings and burgers. Anyhow I had some grouper that had a pineapple glaze. The fish was mushy and gross, the glaze was like pineapple sauce. The worst part was I had broccoli as a side. When I looked at it, it was black in spots. I just assumed it was grilled/roasted. Well, it was rotten. I mean, putrid rotten. I spit it out and told the waitress. She replaced it with green beans that were obviously from a can.

Wife had Shepards pie and it was also horrible. Clearly not made in house. The mashed potatoes were instant, really. Tasted just like KFC mashed.

Now I don't mind trying a place again if I just made a bad choice on the meal. But the rotten broccoli scared me. I had visions of Gordon Ramsey in a refrigerator screaming, "You'll kill someobody!"

So was I just unlucky? Is the place clean and okay? I love the location and atmosphere. Recent experiences?

ETA just looking for experiences of people on the board that have been there recently.
You still remember your order from a couple years ago? Impressive. I’ve eaten there maybe a dozen times in the past three years, and I’ve always had a good meal (and I remember how tough it was there during Covid, with seating restrictions and not enough help). I love their onion rings, and the house salads made in a big bowl at the table are excellent. Really, everything I’ve had there has been good. Try it again, then maybe publish a retraction, as your “restaurant review” may have cost them thousands of dollars in business.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,380 Times in 2,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
You still remember your order from a couple years ago? Impressive. I’ve eaten there maybe a dozen times in the past three years, and I’ve always had a good meal (and I remember how tough it was there during Covid, with seating restrictions and not enough help). I love their onion rings, and the house salads made in a big bowl at the table are excellent. Really, everything I’ve had there has been good. Try it again, then maybe publish a retraction, as your “restaurant review” may have cost them thousands of dollars in business.
I agree.
(Your statement is not cyber bullying!)
Old 08-30-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
A couple years ago we had a lifestyle visit and went to RJ Gators and it was awful. Now, this was at the very end of Covid. Places were struggling with help and stuff.

In addition to that we probably chose the wrong things to order. Would have had better luck with wings and burgers. Anyhow I had some grouper that had a pineapple glaze. The fish was mushy and gross, the glaze was like pineapple sauce. The worst part was I had broccoli as a side. When I looked at it, it was black in spots. I just assumed it was grilled/roasted. Well, it was rotten. I mean, putrid rotten. I spit it out and told the waitress. She replaced it with green beans that were obviously from a can.

Wife had Shepards pie and it was also horrible. Clearly not made in house. The mashed potatoes were instant, really. Tasted just like KFC mashed.

Now I don't mind trying a place again if I just made a bad choice on the meal. But the rotten broccoli scared me. I had visions of Gordon Ramsey in a refrigerator screaming, "You'll kill someobody!"

So was I just unlucky? Is the place clean and okay? I love the location and atmosphere. Recent experiences?

ETA just looking for experiences of people on the board that have been there recently.
I can't remember what I ate last week and you remember every detail from 3 years ago?! Props to you
Old 08-30-2023, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

Unfortunately we tend to remember bad experiences more than good ones. At least long term. I had written a detailed Yelp review on this back when we had just gone. Recently saw my review when looking at Villages restaurants and that’s what prompted me to ask on here. I can’t be sure I’d remember that level of detail if I hadn’t seen my review recently. But the rotten broccoli will never leave my mind because it wasn’t just not great food. It was putrid.

I’m sure for beers and entertainment I’ll try them again. Maybe I’ll make a point of it and retract my old review. You all don’t seemed concerned with the cleanliness and that is my main concern. So another try may be in order.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:30 AM

You should always given establishment the second try. You never know what happened.
But another one to stay far from is WOB world of beer. Absolute terrible service terrible food OK beers
Old 08-30-2023, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsoneau@aol.com View Post
You should always given establishment the second try. You never know what happened.
But another one to stay far from is WOB world of beer. Absolute terrible service terrible food OK beers
We tried WOB back then too. I wasn’t impressed. I think we only had appetizers and honestly have no recollection of the food. But I seem to recall mostly mass produced beers and I was expecting a lot more microbrews. Again that was at the end of covid so maybe the beer choices are better now.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,108 Times in 5,358 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately we tend to remember bad experiences more than good ones. At least long term. I had written a detailed Yelp review on this back when we had just gone. Recently saw my review when looking at Villages restaurants and that’s what prompted me to ask on here. I can’t be sure I’d remember that level of detail if I hadn’t seen my review recently. But the rotten broccoli will never leave my mind because it wasn’t just not great food. It was putrid.

I’m sure for beers and entertainment I’ll try them again. Maybe I’ll make a point of it and retract my old review. You all don’t seemed concerned with the cleanliness and that is my main concern. So another try may be in order.
If the experience was excellent or horrible people tend to remember longer, especially the horrible experience at Gators.
Old 08-30-2023, 03:59 PM

No.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
No.
Direct answer, I like that.
Closed Thread

Tags
rotten, broccoli, made, mashed, glaze

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.