Ruling on Restaurant Service Charges

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2022, 07:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
The minimum wage in Florida is $10 per hour, but that doesn't include "tipped" employees.

Paying waitstaff workers $6.85 an hour assures two things: constant turnover and mediocre service. Something better comes along and they're out the door, and who can blame them? Much better to pay them more per hour, $10 or even higher. Probably more economical for the restaurant in the long run, cutting turnover costs and assuring more competent service (and thus more return business).
Everybody mourns the poor restaurant worker. Here are a couple examples of great severs and bartenders I have spoken to about this. A waiter I knew told me that he makes 40 to 50 dollars per hour every hour that he works. A lot of that is cash so I doubt it ever makes it to his 1040. A great bartender I know just told me he is extremely busy and makes about 100 dollars per hour in tips. How do you think these 2 would react if they were told they were now going to make 15 an hour but they would no longer get any tips ?
Old 07-22-2022, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
No server is worth a 30-35% tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Yes there are but certainly not all of them
Quote:
Everybody mourns the poor restaurant worker. Here are a couple examples of great severs and bartenders I have spoken to about this. A waiter I knew told me that he makes 40 to 50 dollars per hour every hour that he works. A lot of that is cash so I doubt it ever makes it to his 1040. A great bartender I know just told me he is extremely busy and makes about 100 dollars per hour in tips. How do you think these 2 would react if they were told they were now going to make 15 an hour but they would no longer get any tips ?
Those two "great severs(sic) and bartenders" probably would not be happy. But as you point out, not all servers and bartenders make that level of tips. Those who do not may welcome a more consistent and reliable income.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-22-2022, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky365 View Post
They are adding gratuity to our total at the Poke in Brownwood. You won't notice it unless you ask for your receipt. I don't have a problem tipping as long as I know I am doing it.
According to the Poke restaurant, they do not automatically add a tip to the bill. They suggest a tip on their credit card system, but tipping is entirely optional.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
Several drinking establishments in Northern Minnesota now charge if you use a credit card. Usually 2-3%. I questioned it and the owner said "last year I paid $50,000 in credit card fees". To which I responded if $50,000 is 2% of the total charges your customers paid… That means you took in $2.5 million in gross revenue. He shut up real quick!
There is a lot of difference between gross revenue and net profit. All kinds of businesses fail because there is no net profit after business expenses are taken from the gross revenue. Credit card fees are just one of those expenses.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
It's not a skill to pour wine or beers and putting a shot in glass with ice.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
There is a lot of difference between gross revenue and net profit. All kinds of businesses fail because there is no net profit after business expenses are taken from the gross revenue. Credit card fees are just one of those expenses.
I guess restaurants can charge a fee to use a credit card, if they want. But, if they stop accepting credit cards, they will lose a lot of business and profit. McDonald's found that their average transaction amount increased by about 50 percent when they started accepting credit cards. As a prior business owner, I never charged customers a fee to use a credit card.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Out of that tip money they have to pay the same taxes everyone else pays. My granddaughter worked as a server while in college and she did make good money on tips, but nothing like the amounts cited above. The government has enacted laws that makes it difficult for a server to claim less money in tips than actually received. There is some wiggle room to cheat but not that much. I've never heard of a restaurant providing health care coverage for servers, so out of the tips received they must also pay for medical insurance which isn't cheap. I've known quite a few people who have worked as servers and they struggle to keep up with living expenses.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Out of that tip money they have to pay the same taxes everyone else pays. My granddaughter worked as a server while in college and she did make good money on tips, but nothing like the amounts cited above. The government has enacted laws that makes it difficult for a server to claim less money in tips than actually received. There is some wiggle room to cheat but not that much. I've never heard of a restaurant providing health care coverage for servers, so out of the tips received they must also pay for medical insurance which isn't cheap. I've known quite a few people who have worked as servers and they struggle to keep up with living expenses.
The IRS has an 8 percent rule for restaurant tip income. The restaurant totals up their gross income and multiplies it by 0.08. Then, they issue W-2 income forms in that total amount to the tipped employees, pro-rated by the number of hours they worked during year. The employee who receives the W-2 form has two choices. They can pay income tax on the amount shown on the W-2, or they can claim to the IRS that they made a different (lower) amount and be prepared to prove that lower amount in an audit. So, if a restaurant server makes an average of 16 percent in tips, they will only need to pay income tax on half of their tip income. It is an IRS rule and not considered cheating.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:43 PM
Default Untrue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky365 View Post
They are adding gratuity to our total at the Poke in Brownwood. You won't notice it unless you ask for your receipt. I don't have a problem tipping as long as I know I am doing it.
Island Fin Poke definitely does not charge gratuity. I looked today. There is a choice for tip, signature and then continue button just like Too Jays and many other restaurants.
If you would like to leave these wonderful workers cash, there is an option to leave no tip on the credit card charge and ten tip in cash.
Wonderful DOLE WHIP as well as lunch and dinner options.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, charges, restaurant, tips, ruling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.