In search of high quality food.

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Default In search of high quality food.

DH and I prefer locally owned restaurants that use fresh, high quality ingredients cooked in inventive ways. It can be a hole-in-the wall or a fancy white linen restaurant...it doesn't matter as long as it serves a flavorful meal made with quality ingredients. Chain restaurants just don't cut it for us and the courntry clubs we have visted (Cane Garden, Havana and Arnold Palmer) have been pretty disappointing. Any suggestions of places inside or outside of TV?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I completely agree with your assessment of the local fare. I wouldn't call them disappointing, but just OK basic food. Fine for a quick bite to eat, but not a place for a nice dinner. Try Bamboo Bistro on 441, Target shopping center for really good Asian Fusion and try Cotillion Cafe in Wildwood for down home Southern cooking. Goblin Market in Mt Dora you will like, Vic Embers in Leesburg is not bad and Al's Top Shelf in Taveras is good. And if you find something else, please tell me.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 AM
Veteran member

The only way to get the food you want is to cook it yourself with stuff from Fresh Market

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvmyPug2 View Post
DH and I prefer locally owned restaurants that use fresh, high quality ingredients cooked in inventive ways. It can be a hole-in-the wall or a fancy white linen restaurant...it doesn't matter as long as it serves a flavorful meal made with quality ingredients. Chain restaurants just don't cut it for us and the courntry clubs we have visted (Cane Garden, Havana and Arnold Palmer) have been pretty disappointing. Any suggestions of places inside or outside of TV?
Your assessment of local restaurants is right on. Try Marks Prime Steakhouse in Ocala and Jeffery Paul's Chophouse in Eustis. Your wallet will be a bit thinner but you will enjoy both! For lunch try Polly's Pantry in Wildwood which will also meet your criteria.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,388 Posts

try Season's 52 in Orlando or Apopka.
Here is their link:

http://www.seasons52.com/reservation...-%20Brand_1420

For seafood try Oceanaire in Orlando. Here is their link:

http://www.theoceanaire.com/Location...Locations.aspx

There is no truly "fine dining" establishment in TV.

btk
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

Another vote for Mark's Prime but keep in mind $$$$$.

On the Square in Ocala 1 block from Marks is Harry's - much less $$ and good food and atmosphere.

Also agree with those that menton Goblin Market in Mt Dora.

If you want to take a mini day trip to Celebration, there's a few good restaurants there and it's really not all that far . . . about 1:15 hrs.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Default Wildwood growers market

Has anyone tried that? I heard there was organic veggies and meat free of anti-biotics,free range.....
Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 AM

First Watch in Spanish Plaines (On BUenos Aires) is very fresh and great for breakfast and lunch.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I cook a lot at home. The Country Clubs are good, not great, but they aren't expensive either. Chris's post...I never can type his screen name, (lvrdhd??) mentions a number of excellent restaurants who have really lovely cuisine. I agree with all of them.

I love good food, but I am not a picky eater and I don't have to have something A+ scrumptious everytime I eat. I try to choose kinda good for me stuff to eat.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Sound logic once again from GG. And it's really easy Gracie once you know what it means. (love to ride Harley Davidsons) l2ridehd. :-)
Old 01-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Sage

On many occasions we have eaten at Nancy Lopez and we really enjoyed the food. Seemed home cooked to us and flavorful. We don't like chains either. We also don't live in TV yet so we haven't had a chance to explore.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I cook a lot at home. The Country Clubs are good, not great, but they aren't expensive either. Chris's post...I never can type his screen name, (lvrdhd??) mentions a number of excellent restaurants who have really lovely cuisine. I agree with all of them.

I love good food, but I am not a picky eater and I don't have to have something A+ scrumptious everytime I eat. I try to choose kinda good for me stuff to eat.
I agree, am not a picky eater - I enjoy many different types of food and even enjoy an occasional fast food meal, or subway sandwich. I once worked for a guy who was a world traveler and made a big deal about being a member of some international gourmet club. When eating out with him he found a reason to send virtually every entree back, and complained about the quality of almost every meal. I thought, I am glad I am easy to please, as I found the same meals to be mostly excellent. Being easy to please has served me well, as I am happy most of the time. I am very fond of all the country clubs in TV, with Lopez as the best for a really nice meal IMHO.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Platinum member
Default Jeffery Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
Your assessment of local restaurants is right on. Try Marks Prime Steakhouse in Ocala and Jeffery Paul's Chophouse in Eustis.
According the Gourmet Club's new website, Jeffery Paul's is in Lessburg now. Haven't tried them yet.

Skip
Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I cook a lot at home. The Country Clubs are good, not great, but they aren't expensive either. Chris's post mentions a number of excellent restaurants who have really lovely cuisine. I agree with all of them.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

We went to Palm tree grove in Mt. Dora and were pleased with it.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.