Server needs some grooming

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The restaurant and the server need to be identified so that we can make a decision whether or not to do business there.
If the restaurant seems to lack a dress code in general, I would mention that in a review.

If it was one employee, I would direct my concerns towards management or corporate. If they choose not to act and continue to let things slide, see option #1.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
On the other hand, why should a hard worker be penalized because they ended up with a less generous tipper? This is why the tips are pooled. It eliminates the luck of the draw.
I had not thought about it that way. Hmmm. I still prefer to know the tip we are leaving is for the waiter/waitress who served us.

Last edited by coffeebean; 11-10-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I had not thought about it that way. Hmmm. I still prefer to know the tip we are leaving is for the waiter/waitress who served us.
I’m with you! I leave a tip for MY server and not the others.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The luck of the draw will have no effect if you work at the job long enough to even out the odds. But, I don't like the process of pooling tips anyway.
As a former server, I can attest that there are parties who tip very poorly and might even stiff you for no good reason. But if you do a quality job, most of the time you will be earning at least 20% and often more than that. It all evens out.

A server that offers poor service/presentation is going to earn an occasional good tip from sympathetic customers but will get stiffed more frequently by unsatisfied customers or, even more frequently, will be tipped 10% or less. Generally, this server will quit and find a job more suited to their own individual skills. Waiting tables is not for everyone.

When you pool tips, you average the tips and the good servers are the ones who take the pay hit which isn't at all fair. The only time that pooling tips would work is if all of the servers were equally good or equally bad across the board.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

The way minimum wage for servers works these days in most states, it's not really very efficient to pool tips. There are two different minimum wages - one for tip-earners, one for everyone else. In some states, the two have to END UP being the same, or better, for the tip-earners.

Basically if minimum is $10...

then the employer can pool the tips, give each employee only $5/hour and as long as the tips combine with the $5 to equal $10 per hour - the employer doesn't have to pay more. So the employer is only on the hook for a percentage of the actual minimum wage. If the employee doesn't get any tips at all, he is guaranteed that $5/hour from the employer. But he isn't guaranteed more than the standard $10 minimum for the state, after the tip pool has been distributed.

And then some states require that the tipped amount be documented by the employer so that the appropriate state income tax be deducted from their paycheck. So the employer collects all the tip money and divvies it up at the end of the shift.

Being a server who relies on tips is not exactly the same process from one place to another, from one state to another, or even from one country to another.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Last night we went to a restaurant to enjoy a dinner out. We were promptly seated and approached by our server. Our server was a guy. Now before you all go off on me, I’m not racist nor do I care what people chose to do with their lives. He was pleasant. What was disturbing is the fact that he had very long fingernails (made me nauseas) which when he touched our bowls, his nails went over the edge toward the inside of our plates. He also had a BLM mask on, plenty of earrings and other visible piercings, and long hair which was held back by sparkly Hair clips. I had all I could do to eat my dinner without constantly seeing those long fingernails. When I go out to eat, I don’t go out to have any political, religious or other personal preference shoved in my face. I go to relax and chat with my husband over some good food.

I would think that these long nails would be a health concern for the restaurant. Think of the gross stuff that is under those nails??

I did come home and write to corporate. People have the right to be who they want to be , however when their poor hygiene affects my food and a dining experience I paid for, it crosses the line for me.

Blast off!
I can agree that you were put off by the long nails in the bowl- I would too. what I DON'T understand is your need to mention that he wore a BLM mask???The mask didn't have anything ( or at least it shouldn't have) to do with what u experienced with your food.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecruiser View Post
I can agree that you were put off by the long nails in the bowl- I would too. what I DON'T understand is your need to mention that he wore a BLM mask???The mask didn't have anything ( or at least it shouldn't have) to do with what u experienced with your food.
The BLM mask has EVERYTHING to do with the ambiance of the restaurant. Patrons pay not only for their food and service but for the atmosphere of the restaurant. Having a BLM mask in my face as I'm trying to enjoy a nice meal is offensive to me and I would not put up with that.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

Let's face it folks! Here in Florida and The Villages we have Old Farts and Old Bitty's , many of whom live their lives to complain!
Old 11-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadu View Post
Let's face it folks! Here in Florida and The Villages we have Old Farts and Old Bitty's , many of whom live their lives to complain!
Very proud to be a 70 year old biddy. LOL.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Last night we went to a restaurant to enjoy a dinner out. We were promptly seated and approached by our server. Our server was a guy. Now before you all go off on me, I’m not racist nor do I care what people chose to do with their lives. He was pleasant. What was disturbing is the fact that he had very long fingernails (made me nauseas) which when he touched our bowls, his nails went over the edge toward the inside of our plates. He also had a BLM mask on, plenty of earrings and other visible piercings, and long hair which was held back by sparkly Hair clips. I had all I could do to eat my dinner without constantly seeing those long fingernails. When I go out to eat, I don’t go out to have any political, religious or other personal preference shoved in my face. I go to relax and chat with my husband over some good food.

I would think that these long nails would be a health concern for the restaurant. Think of the gross stuff that is under those nails??

I did come home and write to corporate. People have the right to be who they want to be , however when their poor hygiene affects my food and a dining experience I paid for, it crosses the line for me.

Blast off!
Just reading this makes me want to throw up a meal I had three hours ago. YUK!!!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-12-2020, 02:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
So, demanding that service providers meet basic standards is unreasonable?
Old 11-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
That’s the most sensible and logical post on this entire thread !!!
Old 11-12-2020, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetD View Post
It concerns me to feel I am living around so many close minded judgemental people.
Welcome to The Villages. Before we moved down here we expected some because our country is a melting pot and we were aware of the area however it is a lot more extreme that we ever imagined.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
And let the rest of us know so that we don't go there.
Probably Taco Bell. Edit: OP said "Olive Garden" close but a shade better.
Closed Thread

Tags
long, server, nails, dinner, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.