Server needs some grooming

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Default Server needs some grooming

Last night we went to a restaurant to enjoy a dinner out. We were promptly seated and approached by our server. Our server was a guy. Now before you all go off on me, I’m not racist nor do I care what people chose to do with their lives. He was pleasant. What was disturbing is the fact that he had very long fingernails (made me nauseas) which when he touched our bowls, his nails went over the edge toward the inside of our plates. He also had a BLM mask on, plenty of earrings and other visible piercings, and long hair which was held back by sparkly Hair clips. I had all I could do to eat my dinner without constantly seeing those long fingernails. When I go out to eat, I don’t go out to have any political, religious or other personal preference shoved in my face. I go to relax and chat with my husband over some good food.

I would think that these long nails would be a health concern for the restaurant. Think of the gross stuff that is under those nails??

I did come home and write to corporate. People have the right to be who they want to be , however when their poor hygiene affects my food and a dining experience I paid for, it crosses the line for me.

Blast off!
Old 11-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

I don't think anyone would disagree. But, why not name the restaurant? Unless you do, I don't see the purpose of the thread.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

So, women with long nails have gross stuff under them?
Old 11-07-2020, 03:37 PM
Sage

Wow, that is just gross. In fact, whenever I see these long, highly decorated nails all I can think is no real work ever gets done by that person. Work, as in housekeeping, yard work, etc. In fact, how do they even hit the keys on their computer/cell phone without breaking one of their precious nails?
Old 11-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree. But, why not name the restaurant? Unless you do, I don't see the purpose of the thread.
People bitchin because negative talk about restaurants can have an impact on the restaurant. Figured we’ve all see this at one restaurant or another. This is the second restaurant I’ve seen this type of thing at.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
So, women with long nails have gross stuff under them?
Yep.In many jurisdictions, the Health Department bans food workers from wearing long nails as they present a food contamination hazard and cannot be contained inside gloves as they may break through the glove. This applies to servers also.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

I would have left the restaurant. IMHO, if somebody wants to mutilate their body, that's their choice. My choice is I don't have to look at it.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Last night we went to a restaurant to enjoy a dinner out. We were promptly seated and approached by our server. Our server was a guy. Now before you all go off on me, I’m not racist nor do I care what people chose to do with their lives. He was pleasant. What was disturbing is the fact that he had very long fingernails (made me nauseas) which when he touched our bowls, his nails went over the edge toward the inside of our plates. He also had a BLM mask on, plenty of earrings and other visible piercings, and long hair which was held back by sparkly Hair clips. I had all I could do to eat my dinner without constantly seeing those long fingernails. When I go out to eat, I don’t go out to have any political, religious or other personal preference shoved in my face. I go to relax and chat with my husband over some good food.

I would think that these long nails would be a health concern for the restaurant. Think of the gross stuff that is under those nails??

I did come home and write to corporate. People have the right to be who they want to be , however when their poor hygiene affects my food and a dining experience I paid for, it crosses the line for me.

Blast off!
Just face the fact YOU had options SPEAK UP, refuse meal and ask for Manager.
Name the Restaurant!
Old 11-07-2020, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Name the Restaurant!
I agree. This says more about the restaurant management than about the server. Who would hire this person to represent the business?
Old 11-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. This says more about the restaurant management than about the server. Who would hire this person to represent the business?
Very true
Old 11-07-2020, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I would have left the restaurant. IMHO, if somebody wants to mutilate their body, that's their choice. My choice is I don't have to look at it.
And you have said it all. Vote with your feet.

And I grow tired of people who are always critical of servers. They don't make much money. Many are tireless and clean and respectful and hard working. Many are not. The pay is awful.

I would last five minutes until the beans would be in a lap.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Name the Restaurant!
I did have options and I wrote corporate...😊
Old 11-07-2020, 10:54 PM
Bikeracer2009

I don't see a problem feeling grossed out by some strangers long nails going into the food area of your plate. It doesn't matter that the server was possibly gay and a black BLM supporter. It's not racist to listen to your own mind about how a situation makes you feel. I stand against racism and discrimination of someone's lifestyle choice so if I see it then I call it out. In this case it's just as you have stated, gross.

Fortunately we live in a more tolerant time and don't want to come across as a racist or homophopic. Unfortunately this cuts both ways. You're having to tolerate something else to prevent a misunderstanding and at the expense of enjoying your dinner. Congrats on being morally strong and considerate of someone's feelings. I think part of having a clear conscience is being able to say something bothers you when you know it's ok to feel that way and you know you can do say something tactfully to fix the problem.

In this situation I would have quietly spoken to the manager and left. The reason I would have left is that I would wonder if the server spit in my food after I said something to the manager lol. I'm sure he wouldn't do that but that's what I would be thinking. The meal is ruined either way so why put myself through it.

I did eat at a fast food restaurant and the young man at the register had long painted finger nails. I wasn't expecting this when I handed him my money. He seemed very shy and fragile so I said hey man nice finger nails. He smiled and said thanks. If he was my son I would want the world to be nice to him too.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post

Blast off!
Name the restaurant. It would be a public service. Walk out. It's your choice.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:05 AM

I liked reading this thread.
I agree with most of the comments although the BLM mask would not have upset me.
But I have to agree with the person who said they would not last long before the beans were in the customers lap.
Just as I have seen bad service I have also seen bad manners from diners. I fear that I would be tipping the beans on someone’s head.
But long nails - no no no.
Closed Thread

Tags
long, server, nails, dinner, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.