Sonny's Barbeque

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Sonny's Barbeque

I heard that Sonny's BBQ was going into the old Whiskey Creek location across from Toojay's in LSL. Confirmation?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Eternal Member

Where ya been VK? Yes, it is true. According to today's paper, they will start kitchen retrofit "soon."

I guess this is okay. As a born and bred Kansas Citian, the universally recognized home of the best BBQ in the world, I've found Sonny's to be downright not all that bad.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-13-2009, 10:52 AM

We had an interesting experience with a Sonny's on our last trip to TV. Sonny's can vary quite a bit location to location. While driving to TV we overnighted in Tifton, GA. We ate at the local Sonny's and the food was absolutely top notch BBQ. I eat BBQ a little too often for my own good and I recognize the good stuff when I taste it. That location is the acknowledged best in the chain AND the only store in the chain that does not sell alcohol. The staff there believed there was a correlation between their excellence as a restaurant and the fact they didn't offer alcohol. The implication being that staff at other places imbibed during their work shift. Anyway, if you're near Tifton, GA, I recommend that Sonny's and hope the one in TV is nearly as good. We'll be visitiing next month so I hope it opens soon.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

I believe they plan on opening in June.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Yep!! they have a sign in the window...

opening soon.
If they have good service, clean facility, good food and resonable prices they will do very well.
Whiskey Creek had none of the above.

BTK
Old 02-14-2009, 08:45 AM

This is just my opinion, if you lile Bar-BQ why woould you go to Sonny's. This not good Bar- B-Q, it's like eating a fish sandwich at Mc Donalds and calling it a seafood platter. Real barB-Qcomes from any number of small roadside places throughout the south. Everyone knows that the best Bar B-Q is in Memphis Tenn, not KC!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

Buc:

Thanks for you opinion but since there are no small roadside stands in TV. I applaude Sonny's opening and look forward to eating there often.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post
This is just my opinion, if you lile Bar-BQ why woould you go to Sonny's. This not good Bar- B-Q, it's like eating a fish sandwich at Mc Donalds and calling it a seafood platter. Real barB-Qcomes from any number of small roadside places throughout the south. Everyone knows that the best Bar B-Q is in Memphis Tenn, not KC!
Your opinion and I agree there is good bbq in Memphis,however, I am going to Sonny's since it is here, can not drive to Memphis every other week. Not sure what you are accomplishing by slamming Sonny's just because there is good bbq in Memphis.....
Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Veteran member

Another good place for BBQ in Florida is a chain called Dustin's. Very similar to Sonny's. Locations in Deland, Edgewater, Ormond Beach, Port Orange and Melbourne. I have had some very meaty and tender baby backs at the Edgewater location. I make it a point to stop there whenever I am in the area at least once or twice.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 PM

Gee, BUC, so glad you enjoy the Memphis BBQ and the little places along the roadside. Hope you'll just stick with those and leave Sonny's alone. Sonny's should do just fine without you.

I've eaten BBQ in numerous places each in Tennessee (yes, Memphis included), Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Have I had better than Sonny's? I have, but not anywhere around The Villages and especially none that I can drive to in my golf cart.

BTW, for those of you who are looking forward to the Sonny's at LSL, they are reconsidering their stand on the salad bar! The Belleview manager said last week that "corporate" has deemed that all Sonny's will have a salad bar. I was sure glad to hear that.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:50 PM

Yeah! Another salad bar. Good news! We have so few of them here.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post

Well Buc, everyone's entitled to their opinion, esp about BBQ. Heeelllll, some even like that stuff in the Carolinas and, can you stomach it, pour decent cole slaw onto mediocre meat and call it barbeque. Disillusion about the Carolinas or Memphis ain't all bad. For some species, it is only disillusion that keeps them from eating their young.

But I'll go to Sonny's (and Oakwood) on occasion. It doesn't always have to be the best. I eat steaks other that KC Strips, I have burgers other than Winsteads, and I'll have Frozen Custard other that Ted Drews. Sometimes you just gotta settle for what you can get.

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 AM

Sorry i didn't mean upset anyone just expressing my opinion, as stated, Eat where you want, I guess bad Bar-B-Q is better than NO Bar-B-Q.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Buc:

No apology is necessary I think we all have to keep our comments relevant to TV. The Hot Dogs at Nathans in Coney Island may be the best in the country but what does that have to do with the Hot Dogs in TV.

Nothing
Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Buc, what are your favorite restaurants that you can currently get to in your golf cart?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.