Sonny's BBQ a chance to sound off

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Mel, not getting anything, hopefully Ken will buy your lunch, nice to see you taking the time to help them though....GN
Old 12-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Default Sonny's

I would ask that the chef use none or less salt in the food prep. Many of our seniors have hypertension and salt in their food is a "no" "no". Please see what you can do to make the food more heart healthy.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
I would ask that the chef use none or less salt in the food prep. Many of our seniors have hypertension and salt in their food is a "no" "no". Please see what you can do to make the food more heart healthy.
Its BBQ.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:45 PM

We ate there a week ago and thought everything was great. The staff was very friendly and made a it a nice experience. I will agree with a previous post about there not being many people in there.Unless business picks up I fear they won't be there very long.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
I am meeting with the management of the LSL Sonny's next week. Here's your chance to let them know what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong.

I will be happy to pass on any constructive comments. This is an excellent chance to make Sonny's better.

Thanks
I ate at Sonny's last month for the first and last time. Waitstaff was un-friendly (almost threw the silverware at us). My wife and two friends got the 1/2 rack of ribs. All three complained that they were dry and tasteless. I got a hamburger that was burned beyond recognition. Should have gone to Mickey D's.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Default Sonny's

Bogie Shooter, there is enough natural salt in the prep of the bbq, and it doesn't mean that the chef has to add additional salt. Furthermore, the topic was what could be brought up at the meeting with the manager and not sniping at people who may be concerned with "BBQ." My wife makes delicious ribs without using extra salt. Surely a good chef would know how to compensate.
You should consider yourself most fortunate that you do not have to concern yourself with matters so mundane as requesting the use of less salt.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Default Sonny's

The three times my wife and I have eaten there, two were satisfactory and one was not. The restaurant is not on my "must return to list" now.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Veteran member

I wouldnt evey try a Sonnys without a salad bar. One more vote for salad bar because its healthy.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
We ate there on Monday night. Mr.mac9 thinks that they have the best baby backs and ordered the all you can eat. The first rack was dry and had obviously been reheated. He asked to be brought another rack which they did and it was tender, juicy, and all of the other stuff that it its supposed to be. The refill was again dry and reheated. He again asked for it to be replaced. Because he ordered all you can eat, there was no problem. But why should he have to go through all of this to get a good rack. Someone else would have thought that Oakwood would be the place to go next time.
We ate there twice and the ribs were dry as in pre-cooked and reheated. Their chef should visit Oakwood, never had a dry rib there. We'll give it one more try.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If your looking for healthy why would you be going to bar-b-que, just curious....GN
Old 12-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Default Hypertension? Salt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
With all due respect, we were not sure about the salt comment.
As Golfnut implied in a follow up, why would a health- and hypertension-conscious eater eat BBQ?

Lowering the salt would be like a weight-loss dieter eliminating the cherry on the ice cream sundae.

Take it for what it's worth, but we checked the archive of a world-renowned M.D., professor, and author of nutrition books (now a villager) and found some info:

More than 5000 papers have been written on the DASH Diet. .
http://www.drmirkin.com/heart/8839.html
http://www.drmirkin.com/heart/8614.html
http://www.drmirkin.com/heart/dash_diet_works.html
http://www.drmirkin.com/heart/2193.html
http://www.drmirkin.com/heart/9542.html

Back in DC, we used to listen to his radio show daily for tips on health, fitness, and nutrition (OK, the 'edutaining' sexuality show on Fridays occasionally caught our attention too!) and it's delightful to know he's now here in TV.

We agree that a salad bar would be a most welcome addition, to help balance the offerings.

We and the good doc are regulars at Ruby Tuesday, Golden Corral, and Subway - all offering some of the most healthy and tasty choices in our compound.

Even if we happen to yield to some of their less nutritious offerings,
we hop on our bikes and work it off on the trip home.

L&L
Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Founder

Now, let me think. I think that one of the smartest things Sonny's can do, is .......ah.......advertise here on Talk of The Villages. In about 24 hours, this thread got 25 posts and 1,115 views. In my book that's proof enough that this forum provides astounding exposure to advertisers.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
If your looking for healthy why would you be going to bar-b-que, just curious....GN
Careful GN, I got slammed for a similiar comment.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Now, let me think. I think that one of the smartest things Sonny's can do, is .......ah.......advertise here on Talk of The Villages. In about 24 hours, this thread got 25 posts and 1,115 views. In my book that's proof enough that this forum provides astounding exposure to advertisers.
TH:

I plan on printing and giving the thread to them, so you comment will be noted.

MZ
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Mel
We are a group of 8-10 folks who favor Sonny's over many of the others due to the good ribs and other items on their menu. Each time we go to the LSL Sonny's we let them know our desire for a salad bar and each time we are told why they preferred to encourage the bar over the salad bar, subsequently, we have chosen to go to the Leesburg store when we need a "Sonny's fix". As one writer stated "Sonny's is synonymous with the salad bar". Hopefully you will encourage them to reconsider.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.