Sonny's BBQ a chance to sound off

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2009, 11:33 AM

Took our kids, visiting from Oregon with a toddler, to Sonnys in TV last week. Ordered the family feast for 4. Asked for a booth that was out of the way so the toddler wouldn't disturbe other diners. $36 including drinks, plus tax and tip. Great value. Food and service were very good. We finished about half and took the rest home. I would do it again.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM

We love Sonny's in LSL, eating there at least two times a week and have since they opened.

My first comment would be: leave the recipes alone! We feel they have the best cole slaw, beans, mac & cheese, cornbread, and sweet tea around. We don't smoke or drink, so our vice is our meals at Sonny's. We don't go there for a healthy meal. We can fix those at home.

With that said, we have had a couple of less than great experiences with our "Big Deals." We have had sandwiches where the meat was re-heated, dry, and tough. Lots of their awesome sauce helps, but this is something you'd think they could avoid. We've had many, many more excellent meals than not, so we'll keep going back.

A salad bar would be nice, but the lack of one would never keep us away. I've never ordered one, but several of my friends have said their menu salads are great.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Now, let me think. I think that one of the smartest things Sonny's can do, is .......ah.......advertise here on Talk of The Villages. In about 24 hours, this thread got 25 posts and 1,115 views. In my book that's proof enough that this forum provides astounding exposure to advertisers.
TH

With all due respect

I am a sales manager by profession and I don't sell anything for anybody for free. I suggest your sales people should have contacted Sonny's if you really want to sell to them.

As I said I will give them a printout of this thread so there is you "foot in the door"

MZ
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Default Sonny's BBQ a chance to sound

We still go to Leesburg or Bellview because of absence of a soup/salad bar at LSL. Also, don't believe they have the beans and franks lunch at LSL which was a nice alternative at lunchtime.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Eternal Member
Default Why is BBQ not healthy?

I have been eating BBQ for the past 60 years. I have always found it wholesome and filling. The side dishes - baked beans, black eyed peas, collards, corn on the cob, cole slaw, etc - are all veggies that my mother made me eat with other meals.

The BBQ chicken is always tasty and the ribs have a lot of meat on them. Tasty and healthy to me!!

I have no desire for-the salad bar - too filling and I might not get that ninth rib down. However, if a salad bar is what it will take for more of you to frequent Sonny's then I am all for it. It will keep the place open so I can enjoy my healthy, succulent greasy ribs!!

Bon Appettit!!
Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Default Sonny's

Ditto on the salad bar! Other than that I love eating there. Good food & service
Old 12-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Default Stop Reheating

Had the pulled pork sandwich both times for lunch. Food wasn't all that hot, and was reheated. My advice is to start making things fresh, and serve them hot. Just because it is Sonny's doesn't mean people are going back if the food isn't good...now, Cody's on the other hand....good service, always hot food, and fresh....that may be the reason they are PACKED every night.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:40 PM

We eat at Sonny's a couple of time a month, a group of 8 and love it Happy Hour and great food.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 PM

My wife and I ate at Sonny's several months ago for lunch. We had two very good meals of ribs, chicken and pulled pork. Food was hot and tasted delicious.

When we were down last month to sign the contract on our house my wife suggested we go to Sonny's again for dinner. This time we both got ribs. To echo other people's comments, both of us thought the ribs were dry, tough and appeared to be reheated. Totally different from the meal we had the first time. Food was also barely warm even though it was served very quickly so it didn't appear to be a problem with the server.

Both times the service was great. While I think Sonny's should be given another chance because our first meal there was good, my wife stated that she has no desire to ever go there again.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Platinum member

I had dinner there tonight and the ribs were succulent, moist, and yumm-o in every way. I also had the corn on the cob, the corn bread, and the southern-style green beans. It was soooooo gooooood. And the ceiling fans were turned off, too.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

after 40 posts the message is clear, food quality is inconsistent at best, not a recipe for success in my opinion.....GN
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Platinum member

Nooooooo! Golfnut, don't say that! Shhhhhh! I love our Sonny's. It's the only Sonny's that will let you order from the lunch menu any time of day!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 12-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Thanks everyone for you comments and suggestions all have been passed on to Sonny's Management.

Changes for the positive are in the works and I am confident they will remain a positive force in TV.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up Two Thumbs Up

Just got back from Sonny's and I guess they underestimated Christmas week.
They ran out of Baby Backs!
You know when you have your heart set on Baby Backs there is just no substitute, well I settled for pulled pork. It was good.
Apparently one of the managers heard of my disappointment, stopped by our table and comped our meal.
We were both very suprised and impressed with the service and attention and just wanted all to know what happened.
This is a restaurant worth keeping.
As to the salad bar, I go to Sonny's for Baby Backs & BBQ.
If I want salad, I go to Crispers.
JMHO
Old 12-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
I am meeting with the management of the LSL Sonny's next week. Here's your chance to let them know what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong.

I will be happy to pass on any constructive comments. This is an excellent chance to make Sonny's better.

Thanks
Sonny's in Leesburg offers senior discount but not in Villages, not fair!..Would love Oakwoods to come on property!...My husband likes St. Louis ribs at Sonnys
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.