Sonny's BBQ.... Never again

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to vitacr

Have eaten at Sonny's across the state - always good at reasonable prices. Go after 1pm & get the Big Deal - a real bargain. Always pleased with food & service.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Sage

I'm from Gainesville, the original home of Sonny's (Sonny Tillman, I think.) Hate to see them trashed here. they do a good business in many, many locations.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Gold member

Guess I don't fit into the Gourmet category.

Been to Sonny's 3 or 4 times - always enjoyed their food.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

When people come from all over the country their taste are different. What one person consider excellent maybe bad to another. I for one have never found chain restaurants to be something I couldn't do without.. I did like County line Barbeque, but some days were better than others which I suppose it's like that about everywhere. IMO this is why you get mixed feeling or rating about restaurant chains. people have different taste.. Probably service is the easiest to pick apart. I like tex-mex, there is certain restaurant I love the food, but hate the service, but I put up with it and tip like there is nothing wrong knowing if I complain it will get worst. So I go there when I am not in hurry.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Default good value

Have been to sonnys many times. Good BBQ and sides at reasonable prices.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Dont know if anyone has dined at Sonny's BBQ at Lake Sumter Landing but I thought I would try it last night. NEVER NEVER again. Dont know how the Villages let such a dump occupy space at beautiful Lake Sumter Landing. Food, service and overall appeal was the worst I've experienced in the Villages. I'd be curious if I'm the only one. Not that it makes any difference because I will never go back and will tell everyone how bad it was.
It only takes one trip to a Sonny's anywhere to learn that lesson.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
If it were not for mediocre chain restaurants in The Villages, there would be very few restaurants.
This statement would be correct even if you took the words THE VILLAGES out of it.

I love The Villages and I enjoy mediocre chain restaurants and good ones too. I love a burger and shake at McDonalds every once in awhile. I consider Too Jays a GREAT chain. I ADORE Carrabbas. I think Colonel Sanders makes yummy chicken.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:18 PM

It is never again for me too- didn't feel like cooking one night (just one night you ask?)and Sonny's is a walk away. What a disappointment- even the salad bar was not good. I'd rather get a sub at Sweetbay.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:22 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This statement would be correct even if you took the words THE VILLAGES out of it.

I love The Villages and I enjoy mediocre chain restaurants and good ones too. I love a burger and shake at McDonalds every once in awhile. I consider Too Jays a GREAT chain. I ADORE Carrabbas. I think Colonel Sanders makes yummy chicken.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.

And don't forget Bonefish Grill, one of the better chains out there.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 PM

We love to go to Sonny's. The Big deal meal is a good value. Many good sides to choose from. Waitress and waiters are always very friendly. We have been there many times with no problem .
Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbillmidlo View Post
I have eaten at Sonny's many times and always had good food and service.
I Have also, never a problem with service , food quality, and the prices are reasonable.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Sonny's has the best 'Sweet Tea' around, and it's only a buck for a big glass plus you get refills. As mentioned earlier, get there after 1pm and the special is $6.99, I usually get the pulled pork, comes with 2 sides and your drink. The corn on the cob is very good and the baked beans or cole slaw aren't bad. The pork is served on the plate with garlic bread, I just tell them to give me a hamburger bun instead and I make a sandwich out of it. To me, the real flavor is the BBQ sauce, and Sonny's is really good. I've been to Burke's twice, and their BBQ sauce pours like water and has no flavor. At Sonny's I've never been disappointed and for $7 you can't beat it. They also have great Buffalo Wings, we get like 20 for $11.99 and that will serve two of us.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I tend to not settle for just decent,McDonalds is decent, and I've tried the " talk to the manager" route. I dont believe my experience was part of an isolated incident because I heard my waiter say "I'm sorry" over and over to 6 tables. Like I said I've had a ton of great experiences in Villages restaurants but this one really has me bent.
Penguin, I personally agree with your assessment of the place. Remember, however, everyone's perception of good service and quality food differs greatly. IMO if Sonny's had not opened an outdoor bar, they would have been out of business by now. We have tried it several times with experiences similiar to yours and like you, we concluded that there are better places to spend our money, particularly since there are so many good BBQ establishment throughout TV's.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbl8114 View Post
Penguin, I personally agree with your assessment of the place. Remember, however, everyone's perception of good service and quality food differs greatly. IMO if Sonny's had not opened an outdoor bar, they would have been out of business by now. We have tried it several times with experiences similiar to yours and like you, we concluded that there are better places to spend our money, particularly since there are so many good BBQ establishment throughout TV's.
Your absolutely right. Everyones opinion about their individual dining experience varies quite a bit. Some like their food a certain way and that's ok because its their preference. I'm still of the opinion like you and believe there are MUCH better places to spend my time and money. After visiting a great number of really good restaurants in the Villages, I was surprised that Sonny's was so substandard to me. All is good cause now I've taken a liking to the ribs at Codys. Oh no, now I am probably starting more #$%^!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.