Sonny's BBQ.... Never again

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 AM
Sage

Let's face it, Sonny's pretty much has a bad rep everywhere it's located. Must be a reason. Plenty of other places for BBQ - Oakwood is good. Cody's Roadhouse has very good ribs. If you're looking for the best, try SugarBoo's in Mt. Dora.
Personally, I wish TooJay's was open late. Not for ribs but for everything else.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Penguin.

I'd like to know specifics please. Did you call it a dump because it was dirty?

I am guessing that right now during the holidays help is not the best everywhere. Just would like to know WHAT exactly disappointed you?

I know a lot of people like Sonny's. We always go to Oakwood.

AND the developer only builds and rents out the buildings. They have no control of the quality.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 AM
Veteran member
Default Problem?

Was the problem Food or Service? Was it dirty? We ate there about 1 year ago and Food and Service was about average for a Village resturant. It was clean the night we were there.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I tend to not settle for just decent,McDonalds is decent, and I've tried the " talk to the manager" route. I dont believe my experience was part of an isolated incident because I heard my waiter say "I'm sorry" over and over to 6 tables. Like I said I've had a ton of great experiences in Villages restaurants but this one really has me bent.
If the service was some of the worst you ever had, what was the waiter apologizing to everyone for ?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
If the service was some of the worst you ever had, what was the waiter apologizing to everyone for ?
It sounds like no one was getting their food on time! If a waitress is apologizing, something has gone wrong. I've had some good meals at Sonny's and one or two so-so meals. I prefer Oakwood now, but Sonny's hasn't done anything to me that is so egregious that I wont go again. I just think their food and service can be a little uneven. And usually, if the service is off it isn't the waitresses fault (they have always been great), but it is something that goes wrong in the kitchen.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,028 Times in 1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
Guess it will leave more room for us who like it then
Only had good meals and good service. there. go about twice a month. Sonny's has been very good for us.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

Sonny's Is great! The food and service has always been great. Love that cornbread! I don't get there enough. Yummmmy! Contrary to what another poster said, I think Sonny's has a great reputation.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

We ate there once about 2 years ago and it was the worst service I have ever seen in TV. In fact, our table of 6 got up and walked out before dinner arrived because we had been sitting there waiting close to an hour! No one came and refilled our drinks...never gave us a reason why it was taking so long. In fact when we all got up, our waitress just stood there and watched us leave. Terrible place! Go to Oakwood instead!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Been to Sonny's a few times since living here and never had a bad meal or service. Would go back again. Love their ribs.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Platinum member

I've never visited the Sonny's in question by the OP.
But I have been to MANY Sonny's all over FL and GA and have never been disappointed in the food or the service.
Love the ribs, chicken, and garlic bread...pulled pork..not so much.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Sage

I have lived in The Villages over 3 years and have been to Sonny's at Lake Sumter Landing many times. Very good pulled pork sandwiches, great barbeque beans and excellent cornbread. Service has always been very good. I have no idea why someone would call it a dump. For a restaurant where you can have all you can eat barbeque for $12, it is a bargain and downright tasty bargain.

Personally, I like the ribs at Oakwood better, too.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM

Penguin, how about specifics. Was the sauce not to your taste? Maybe you like it less spicy. I don't know what "overall appeal" means to you, did you not like the decor or the waiters uniforms? Service is a relative thing, was the restaurant very busy were all of the servers out back taking a smoke break?? Your condemnation without specifics does a disservice to the restaurant.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
We ate there once about 2 years ago and it was the worst service I have ever seen in TV. In fact, our table of 6 got up and walked out before dinner arrived because we had been sitting there waiting close to an hour! No one came and refilled our drinks...never gave us a reason why it was taking so long. In fact when we all got up, our waitress just stood there and watched us leave. Terrible place! Go to Oakwood instead!
Happened to us a few years ago also. Haven't been back.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1366 View Post
Penguin, how about specifics. Was the sauce not to your taste? Maybe you like it less spicy. I don't know what "overall appeal" means to you, did you not like the decor or the waiters uniforms? Service is a relative thing, was the restaurant very busy were all of the servers out back taking a smoke break?? Your condemnation without specifics does a disservice to the restaurant.
The food looked and tasted like a Swanson frozen dinner, The server did'nt know the difference between red and white wine, tables were left unbussed for a significant amount of time. Being busy is no excuse for poor service, I was in the service industry my whole carreer and my customers did'nt want to hear "I was too busy "to provide them with the service they deserved. My experience there has got me so bent that I'm moving on and going to patronize any one of the many many great eating establishments here in the Villages, and chalk up Sonny's to a real disappointing mistake.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 PM

I have to agree with Penguin... we went to Sonnys in LSL last Sept. and will never go back. The place was so dirty, there was mold on the floor and walls in the ladies room! Our food was IMHO not up to Villages standards... small portions and most of the food lacked taste. In defense of the wait staff, our waitress worked her butt of and could have had some help.
I have to say that I liked the BBQ night at Malory more.

P.S. Penguin... a 72 Cutlass is my dream car!!

Patty
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.