Sonny's BBQ.... Never again

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Taste like beauty is in the taste buds/eye of the beholder.

I have eaten at Sonny's and Oakwood and neither overly impressed me.

Of allthe restaurants in and aroud TV I find bonefish to bethe most over-rated and over-priced. However I have friends that call it their favorite

So it is probably best to kick he tiresand test drive the restaurant for yourself.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Taste like beauty is in the taste buds/eye of the beholder. ...
Bingo. This past summer, I was judging a KCBS sanctioned BBQ contest. While talking to another judge, he mentioned that he traveled from Dutchess County, NY to judge the event. I told him that I really liked a specific BBQ joint up there in Wingdale, NY. He couldn't believe it. He hated the place. (He was wrong, of course.)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
Guess it will leave more room for us who like it then
I agree.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

We don't go to Sonny's for the ribs, they always had a " chemical " taste to us. Most everything else we felt was decent. we think Oakwood is the best all around and also Texas is very good if you like their style
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

Best baby back ribs at Chili's.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Taste like beauty is in the taste buds/eye of the beholder.

I have eaten at Sonny's and Oakwood and neither overly impressed me.

Of allthe restaurants in and aroud TV I find bonefish to bethe most over-rated and over-priced. However I have friends that call it their favorite

So it is probably best to kick he tiresand test drive the restaurant for yourself.
I am not a fan of Sonny's. We have had good service there, and I never noticed a cleanliness issue. I don't care for their BBQ sauce (I do like spicy foods btw) or the rib preparation. I could only wish for Famous Dave's, but will check out the Texas Stockyards.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Dont know if anyone has dined at Sonny's BBQ at Lake Sumter Landing but I thought I would try it last night. NEVER NEVER again. Dont know how the Villages let such a dump occupy space at beautiful Lake Sumter Landing. Food, service and overall appeal was the worst I've experienced in the Villages. I'd be curious if I'm the only one. Not that it makes any difference because I will never go back and will tell everyone how bad it was.
Your paying $8.00 for a meal, Please.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM

After 4 pages, finally a sane comment.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginians View Post

Penguin - While I can understand what you are saying I agree with these past 2 comments. I know what I'm getting at Sonny's when I go. The best? Not in my opinion. But it 'is what it is' and what it is isn't that bad.

And you talk about letting them occupy such a beautiful place at LSL. How about Johnny rockets? Much better location and it is NO better than Sonny's and in my opinion MUCH worse.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginians View Post

So you pay 8 bucks for a meal and expect it to be lousy. NICE
Glad I dont have to dine with you.
And since you have no facts my dinner was $11.99 minus the cocktails they could'nt get right.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Default I agree, the manager is supposed to know what's going on on his restaurant.

That's the definition of his job. (to manage)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Default No to Sonny's

We had eaten at Sonny's years ago...ribs were NOT good. Then my brother and SIL wanted to eat there when we were together here in TV....we were almost assaulted by the host....very loud and very aggressive w/his "hug"- his cologne arrived 15 minutes before he did....I'm not a prude, but I don't care to come chest to chest w/a stranger. Anyway, after that was over, we were seated - the service was okay....but the food was mediocre at best....then we found Oakwood....well needless to say we know where to get good, juicy, fall-off-the-bone ribs now...very ample servings and the sides are so good (limas, black-eyed peas, macaroni & cheese for example)....that's the place for us!!! (BTW, I don't agree with the comment that if you pay only $8 for a meal, then you should expect bad food...restaurants are in business to cook and serve you good food...Just my opinion...) don't throw umm tomatoes at me now!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

We've eaten at Sonny's several times and have found there restaurant to be clean, the service to be excellent and the food very, very good.

Perhaps you could be more specific on what the problems were.

A dump? I always found a clean attractive restaurant.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Sage

I think the characterization of Sonny's as a dump is completely wrong. It is not a gourmet restaurant but is a good barbeque restaurant. Oakwood is tastier, I agree, but Sonny's is HERE! Good service is the norm. Good food is the norm.

No one said that you should expect bad food if you are paying $8 for a meal. They said you should not expect gourmet food nor white tablecloth service for that price. If you want that, go to Victoria & Albert's in Orlando but be prepared to spend $150 per person.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM

Just had to jump in the middle of this as we've visited The Villages 2xs and we've looked forward to Sonny's each time. As a frame of reference we are from the St Louis area were Pappy's rules, visit Memphis once a year and know Corky's, Rendezvous, and Interstate very well. Sonny's is good, we try not to compare. Eating out is more than just about the food for us. What we do is get there early for a late lunch/early dinner (Linner) around 2 to 3 pm, sit outside right there on the corner table top, prepare for the 2 for one, watch the world of the Villages go by, smile and enjoy the moment. Albeit only a few times, we've never had bad service, bad food, or a bad experience. Our hope is that we don't become jaded and judgmental of all the Villages has to offer if and when good fortune reigns on us and we become full time residents.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.