Speckled Butterbean in Wildwood

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Eternal Member

I was raised in the South and I like the Speckled Butterbean fare. My wife was raised in NJ and does not like the food.

But I do have to say that the Golden Corral does a have a much larger variety of food. Both entrees and vegetables. And Golden Corral does put out a very tasty and juicy fried chicken. I would match it against the Speckled Butterbean chicken any day.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
I think it's a cultural thing. Those of us from the deep south seem to like Speckled Butterbean. It's food we grew up eating and no, I don't think you can get anything like it a Publix nor do I think it comes in over-processed and frozen. Speckled Butterbean is not a chain. There are two restaurants, one in Webster between the cattle yard and the flea market, which has been there for many years and the newer one near Wildwood.
For me, it's good eats, but then I like collards and cornbread.
Blue dog,

I didn't say you could get Southern fare at Publix - just processed foods.

No restaurant that offers a buffet plus many off the menu choices can prepare food freshly. I haven't spent time int heir kitchen - but I would guess that they buy a whole lot from Sysco (or USFood - and not just condiments).

k
Old 03-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Blue dog,

I didn't say you could get Southern fare at Publix - just processed foods.

No restaurant that offers a buffet plus many off the menu choices can prepare food freshly. I haven't spent time int heir kitchen - but I would guess that they buy a whole lot from Sysco (or USFood - and not just condiments).

k
Sysco, US Foods, Great Western, Gordon, etc....supply far more than just prepared foods. They supply fresh produce and indredients of great magnitude... I am, and have been involved in the restaurant business for several decades, and to date have not purchased a prefabricated product nor do I very often purchase anything processed at all from these companies. To insinuate that everything that comes off of a purveyor's truck is processed, or that "No restaurant that offers a buffet plus many off the menu choices can prepare food freshly", only marks you as a clueless poser. Perhaps you should reserve your commentary for the topics to which your knowledge is not so limited..

JMHO
Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
marks you as a clueless poser.
I quarantee you - Kate is no poser. (and she said "guess" not "know")

Sunday, do you know specifics about speckled butterbean or are you just making a general statement? Do you (or does anyone) know that they make everything from scratch and fresh?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Speckeled Butterbean in Wildwood , not worth the trip. We experienced poor service, second rate food, and crap brand soda.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 AM

I was making a general comment...Never mentioned anything about Speckled Butterbean.
My point was to with the notion that everything that comes from Sysco(or any other purveyor) is a "MRE"... that is a false statement.....it's like saying Publix only sells TV Dinners, or Brown's Produce only sells Frozen Vegetables.
And to say "No restaurant that offers a buffet plus many off the menu choices can prepare food freshly", is moronic.
Based on my last visit to the Wildwood Restaurant, I can tell you (as a Executive Chef accredited by The American Culinary Federation)85% of the food served at Speckled Butterbean is prepared on property.... The other 15%(primarily desserts) is purchased prepared, either because of time, or cost restraints... Not because they can't. Furthermore, I am certain that everything at the webster restaurant is made from scratch.

I also know of a Country Club right there in the villages, doing HUGE volumes, that still makes almost everything from scratch... including BBQ and other sauces, to soups, to salad dressings, coconut cornflake crusted chicken, butchering their own beef, and processing whole fish.
Please give credit to the guys out there still doing things the old fashioned way.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Sage

Thanks Sunday - always nice to have a pro around when we have culinary questions. I just think calling a long-time valuable TOTV member a "poser" and "moronic" is harsh and undignified.

If you don't mind what Country Club are you referring to? It would certainly be nice to know when we check them out.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Sunday,

Thank you for your input. My knowledge also comes from an F&B professional (on the operations side of things) who takes a different point of view from you. And, I confess to some hyperbole...

But as someone who has significant food sensitivities to the sodium preservatives (and I say sensitivity not allergies because I merely swell up and get nasty hives/red patches as opposed to my breathing actually stopping).I avoid prepared foods like the plague. For the same reason, I avoid most buffets, because, in my knowledge (gained mostly from buffets in MB, Vegas, and at more conventions than I can count), the preservatives runneth over...

Thank you for your expertise....
Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Kate,
I apologize for my indignance. I was wrong. I took it very personally, because the message being sent negivavely impacts a great number of livlihoods(including mine)..
It's almost as if I were to say,
" All homes in the Village of Bonita are prefabricated Modulars with stuccoed exteriors.... and nobody that lives in Buttonwood is capable of paying more than $150k for a home.."
The people that live in those communities would probably take offence and retaliate...because what I said simply is not true(at least i think it's not??).
If I read a statement like that, and didn't know any better, my prejudices may prohibit me from having a wonderful home, in a wonderful neighborhood... with great nieghbors like yourself and Russ...
I will certainly bridal my words, in the future.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Sage

Thanks Sunday - keep posting.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Hi - new Villagers...........would appreciate other places folks recommend for breakfast. Will try Butterbean but seems a little high. Thanks!!
Well, $6.95 is weekend rates. If you go on the weekdays, it's $4.95 and free coffee if you get there before 8am.

On Wednesdays, they have a breakfast special, $4.95 for the first person and the second is half price, $2.50, and if you get there before 8 am, coffee is free.

I think it's a pretty good breakfast, lot's of choices including fresh fruit !
Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Sage

Never been to the one on 44, but been to their original Butterbean in Webster at least a half dozen times. It's excellent, but everyone that has been to both tell me the one on 44 isn't nearly as good. "You pay your money and take your choice".
By the way the Hayseed across the street form Speckled Butterbean in Webster is also good.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Thanks Sunday - keep posting.
Yes, please, Sunday! You are truly a gentleman...
Old 08-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Last edited by JumpnJil; 08-07-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Delete post
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 AM

JumpinJil, The last post in this thread was in March. I don't understand the issue or the problem. Did you just move to The Villages from a place that is close to The Villages?
Some posters are just unhappy people that have no one to listen to their rants and post here. The ButterBean is just a low cost place to eat.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.