Steak

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2022, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
For comparison. Prices are based on buying 2-inch thick, 8 ounce steaks. The prices do not include shipping, which adds a substantial amount, depending on the size of your order.

Porter and York, USDA Prime filet mignon, $70 per pound
Allen Brothers, USDA Prime filet mignon, $100 per pound
Publix, USDA Prime filet mignon, $30 per pound

All of these places sell good steaks. I used to buy from Allen Brothers, but I have been very satisfied with Publix. Allen Brothers just got too expensive.
I'll give it a try, a couple of years ago I order a prime rib from Publix and it was terrific
Old 09-17-2022, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Mark's Prime Steakhouse is the best around. At home, a premium thick cut seasoned and room temperature cooked on a HOT grill and turned once is the way to go.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:55 AM
Sage

For our steak fix we go to Sam's Club and buy filet, choice or prime. Seared on the grill and cooked rare, the meat is tender and "buttery." Husband can never get a restaurant to cook it undone enough for him.

RG's suggestion from "Cook's Illustrated" above about putting it in the freezer for an hour merits a try. That magazine has lots of good ideas and recipes.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:56 AM
Default Best steak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Who has the best, juiciest, most tender filet or rib eye, available in the area?
Grade A Prime sold at Fresh Market. The best I have ever had.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:57 AM

I have had a good steak at Chop House here in the Villages. Yachtsman Steakhouse at Disney’s Yaght Club resort is really good too. They almost make them as good as we do at home. The problem I’ve found with most restaurants is that you might have an amazing steak there once then when you go back, not so much. Inconsistency is an issue for me. Been too long since I’ve been to Bern’s in Tampa to review it, but that’s probably an excellent recommendation and worthy of a special occasion.

A good fillet is something we sous vide and sear on a very hot Big Green Egg. A 1” -1 1/2”ribeye we like to cook fully on the egg to just below desired temp. (Recently had a 2 1/2” cowboy ribeye off the sous vide with sear…holy cow that was amazing). We spray the meat with duck fat just before throwing on the grill which makes a good flame for searing.

More critical is where to get meat. I have not found an equal to Wassi’s in Melbourne, but I did get some quality Prime cuts ordered from Snake River Farms recently. Neither are inexpensive. Tried butcher box….terrible quality.

I did think about trying Best Meats in Wildwood. Anyone have insight to their quality?
Old 09-17-2022, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

Hate to burst everyone's bubble about steak houses and restaurants cooking steaks. They actually put them in a baggie and put the baggie in boiling water. They put a meat thermometer in the steak, and once it reaches the temperature desired for the level of doneness the customer wants they pull it out and sear it in a frying pan. You're basically eating boiled meat for $40 a plate.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
Hate to burst everyone's bubble about steak houses and restaurants cooking steaks. They actually put them in a baggie and put the baggie in boiling water. They put a meat thermometer in the steak, and once it reaches the temperature desired for the level of doneness the customer wants they pull it out and sear it in a frying pan. You're basically eating boiled meat for $40 a plate.
Sous Vide does not boil meat. The water is at a low temperature not boiling.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
You just described "sous vide" cooking...

Google it, it's most certainly not "boiled meat"...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-17-2022, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Old 09-17-2022, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

If you don't mind driving to Ocala, I think that Mark's is a great place to get a steak. I find it interesting that their website shows a photo of a filet mignon, but it doesn't have a crust on it. Also, they say the filet mignon is USDA inspected, but not whether it is Choice or Prime. They offer a 7 ounce and an 11 ounce filet mignon.

For the 11 ounce filet, with a salad, potato, tax, and 20 percent tip, you will pay about $92, or $184 for two. If you plan to drink anything, the sky is the limit. Note that the Chophouse in The Villages is less expensive than Mark's.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Many restaurants use Sous Vide methods. My standard home method for a Strip Steak is 120F for 2 hours followed by a sear.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
1. Vacuum sealed. Not a "baggie".
2. Warm water. Not boiling.
3. Sous Vide cooking procedures usually take longer and require a bit more work then just frying or grilling.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
You just described "sous vide" cooking...

Google it, it's most certainly not "boiled meat"...
I know...I have one and they work great. Just saying most people think they are getting a grilled steak from the restaurant and they are not… Nothing but smoke and mirrors.
Old 09-17-2022, 10:22 AM

We have a Sous Vide cooker that works great for a lot of meats. Personally, I prefer to start with a room temp strip steak and fry it at 400@ for 4 minutes a side. This thread is making me hungry.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:02 AM
Platinum member
Wink

Quote:
I know...I have one and they work great. Just saying most people think they are getting a grilled steak from the restaurant and they are not… Nothing but smoke and mirrors.
You can take a tour of the kitchen at Berns Steakhouse and they DEFINITELY DO NOT USE THIS METHOD. You can watch as they grill steaks to perfection.

Closed Thread

Tags
steak, juiciest, tender, filet, rib

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.