Steak n Shake ...

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2021, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

and the most of them are WAY too old. Should be a mandatory retirement age
Old 10-09-2021, 06:58 AM

Just wait...Fairly soon you will be screened for flight departures by robots. That has been in the works for years and is being tested. Use the kiosks now so you are not lost!
Old 10-09-2021, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niferlou06 View Post
Just wait...Fairly soon you will be screened for flight departures by robots. That has been in the works for years and is being tested. Use the kiosks now so you are not lost!
We are already screened by robots. Maybe not the physical kind you're talking about, but daemons, scripts and robo applications that use big data to figure out who you are.

That thing with the lines and such at the airport is theatre for the most part. "Oh, we found this 12 ounce Key lime Jelly", yet routine security tests show that most guns and weapons sail right through.

If you have TSA/PRE or clear, it's a bit better. At least you can leave your shoes on.

If you have Global entry, coming back to the US is a breeze. You walk up to the Kiosk, it takes your picture and you're done. Hand the receipt to the guy as you walk past. That was a bunch of digital processes to match the physical you to the digital you and it's way more accurate that a minimum wage government TSA goon looking to see if you used gallon zip locks instead of quart ones.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I lived 28 years in Ohio and 28 years in NJ until recently and getting fuel in the rain or snow in NJ was a breeze because some guy from India or Pakistan did the work. No idea why there aren't people from elsewhere, but they are all most all from the Indian subcontinent or just north of there. Rare Egyptian. You get to know most of them if you go enough. Nice folks usually.

They also, on occasion would steal your credit card information, short change you, over fill you (I asked for $20, you filled me up, etc.).

You take the good with the bad.

Personally, I love the scan and go App at Sam's club both inside and for gas. Drive up, it picks up the code and fill 'er up. I also love walking behind my cart with items past all the people in line in the store and go right out to the door! The first time it felt a bit like stealing, but I got over it. Now I wouldn't even consider NOT using the app in Sam's club. It's so much easier to just leave with the stuff you picked out.
I love the scan and go app also. I can’t imagine why people are waiting in long lines when they could pay as you go and walk out. And getting gas with the app is a huge time saver.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:17 AM

Who is Kiosk? I thought his name was Larry ….
Old 10-09-2021, 07:18 AM

I don't like paying by card only. I prefer cash. But I guess I'll save on gratuities!
Old 10-09-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
... is now open for inside dining. However, instead of wait staff they have four kiosks at the front. You order and pay there and then sit down and wait for them to call out that your order is ready. You then go get your food and bring it back to your table.

We were up north twice in the last month and ate in a couple of restaurants with newly installed kiosks. I guess the owners are tired of waiting for people to return to the work force.

kathy
And the $15+ an hour costs
Old 10-09-2021, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post

Personally, I love the scan and go App at Sam's club both inside and for gas. Drive up, it picks up the code and fill 'er up. I also love walking behind my cart with items past all the people in line in the store and go right out to the door! The first time it felt a bit like stealing, but I got over it. Now I wouldn't even consider NOT using the app in Sam's club. It's so much easier to just leave with the stuff you picked out.
I love that Sam's Club app!
Old 10-09-2021, 08:35 AM

Then, yes, you will have to eat at home. Many fast food and fast casual places are going to kiosks and on-table ordering and pay systems. Move with the times or get left behind.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
... is now open for inside dining. However, instead of wait staff they have four kiosks at the front. You order and pay there and then sit down and wait for them to call out that your order is ready. You then go get your food and bring it back to your table.

We were up north twice in the last month and ate in a couple of restaurants with newly installed kiosks. I guess the owners are tired of waiting for people to return to the work force.

kathy
Returning is not the issue, there is no affordable childcare, servers have died or have long covid, they have found better paying jobs, and their pay is horrible. Service industiries need the new approach. I was in Seattle where their restaurants are booming because they require facemasks and vaccine cards to get in, has not hurt their business.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

We have been using kiosks for years. We always order our Starbucks thru our iPhones. Ordering from Amazon. Buy a car online. More tech the better. If people don’t want to work at the entry level jobs that are non-career type (flipping burgers, collecting money from patrons) for minimum wage, then bring on more kiosks
Old 10-09-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Good gawd! Not eating at a place where you have to use kiosk or app to order?

Get used to it. It is the future because people don’t want to get off their ass and go back to work; restaurant’s like Steak and Shake have to find a way to survive.
Used an APP once in my life, to take an Uber, and my credit card got compromised. Fool me once and it’s because I am naive, fool me twice and it’s because I’m stupid. No more APP’s for me.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default I’m sorry that you will not be going to your favorite restaurant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Looks like we will be eating at home just about all the time in the future, I refuse to eat anywhere that forces me to use a Kiosk or App to order/pay for our food.
but there is another place that you could make your go to restaurant and they have nice slogan,Have It Your Way. Good Luck Happy Eating
Old 10-09-2021, 11:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

I was told MacDonald's makes more money in their drive up stations more then
having their lobby's open.

No table clean up.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default Paying cash you miss out on benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priebehouse View Post
I don't like paying by card only. I prefer cash. But I guess I'll save on gratuities!
I pay with card for everything but tips which I pay in cash , I get between $1,500 to 2 ,000 back every year from my card every time it goes over $500 I have them send me a check it’s not to pay my balance ( which you can ) or to go to bank ( which you can ) it’s to spend frivolous anyway you want lol
Closed Thread

Tags
order, kiosks, wait, north, couple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.