Subway Experience

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2022, 05:42 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Subway Experience

My friend and I walked into Subway at Colony to order 6 inch Subway sandwiches each using a Coupon for our individual sandwich. The clerk indicated we could only use 1 coupon and charged us full price for the second. I questioned the clerk and he said store policy. I had him deduct the second full price sub and he, in my perception, arrogantly tossed the sub deducted into the trash. Had we walked into the store and pretended not to know each other, we would have both received the coupon price.

Asked to speak to manager but none available. Probably would not have led to any difference. So, now we have Subway coupon Nazi's. What is supposed to be a marketing technique to encourage business becomes an intimidating experience.

I wonder what would have happened had I gone to end of line and reordered a sandwich and tried to use a coupon. I guess, I am not that interested in conflict.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Clerk figured out a way to lose the business a customer. Two people two customers.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:15 PM
Default SubwayExperience

We have had multiple issues in the past when we used to go there. They were always out of something to make a sub and the lettuce never looked fresh so Jersey Mike's get our business with no issues and very fresh lettuce and veggies.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpalmgirl View Post
We have had multiple issues in the past when we used to go there. They were always out of something to make a sub and the lettuce never looked fresh so Jersey Mike's get our business with no issues and very fresh lettuce and veggies.
Subway used to be our go to place for lunch when traveling.

Over time found better sandwiches and been long long time since we were there.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
My friend and I walked into Subway at Colony to order 6 inch Subway sandwiches each using a Coupon for our individual sandwich. The clerk indicated we could only use 1 coupon and charged us full price for the second. I questioned the clerk and he said store policy. I had him deduct the second full price sub and he, in my perception, arrogantly tossed the sub deducted into the trash. Had we walked into the store and pretended not to know each other, we would have both received the coupon price.

Asked to speak to manager but none available. Probably would not have led to any difference. So, now we have Subway coupon Nazi's. What is supposed to be a marketing technique to encourage business becomes an intimidating experience.

I wonder what would have happened had I gone to end of line and reordered a sandwich and tried to use a coupon. I guess, I am not that interested in conflict.
I'm looking at the coupon right now. It says "Cannot be combined with other offers." If you had two different transactions, you could have gotten your discount on both subs. You chose to combine them into a single transaction and so - only one coupon allowed. It also says redeemable at participating restaurants. The store decides whether or not they're participating. The store also decides HOW to participate.

It's the same way at most stores that accept coupons. One per transaction. You can have multiple transactions, but if it's busy, the polite thing to do is exactly what you suggested - complete one, then to to the end of the line and wait your turn for the next one.

Or you can have two people in line, each with his/her own transaction. Or, you can go somewhere else to eat.

Reminds me of the guy who was ahead of me at Subway a month ago, who said he wanted more cheese on his toasted sub, that what they gave him wasn't enough. So they complied, and when they charged him extra he said "oh I'm not paying extra, I wanted more cheese because what you put on there MELTED."

Well DOH. It was put in an oven. Cheese melts. They put on the exact same amount of cheese on that sub that they would've put on if you hadn't toasted it. And the sign on the wall says extra cheese costs extra.

He argued for almost ten minutes, holding up the line. All because he couldn't stand the idea that he wasn't going to get free extra cheese that everyone else had to pay for.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

They sometimes would let me double-up on coupons at the Subway in Walmart but it does depend on the store involved. I used to go to that Subway every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm looking at the coupon right now. It says "Cannot be combined with other offers." If you had two different transactions, you could have gotten your discount on both subs. You chose to combine them into a single transaction and so - only one coupon allowed. It also says redeemable at participating restaurants. The store decides whether or not they're participating. The store also decides HOW to participate.

It's the same way at most stores that accept coupons. One per transaction. You can have multiple transactions, but if it's busy, the polite thing to do is exactly what you suggested - complete one, then to to the end of the line and wait your turn for the next one.

Or you can have two people in line, each with his/her own transaction. Or, you can go somewhere else to eat.

Reminds me of the guy who was ahead of me at Subway a month ago, who said he wanted more cheese on his toasted sub, that what they gave him wasn't enough. So they complied, and when they charged him extra he said "oh I'm not paying extra, I wanted more cheese because what you put on there MELTED."

Well DOH. It was put in an oven. Cheese melts. They put on the exact same amount of cheese on that sub that they would've put on if you hadn't toasted it. And the sign on the wall says extra cheese costs extra.

He argued for almost ten minutes, holding up the line. All because he couldn't stand the idea that he wasn't going to get free extra cheese that everyone else had to pay for.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Thanks for your interpretation of the coupon use. That's why they send you a multipage list of coupons, so you can only use one a day or one and then go to the end of the line to use another. That's why they train the clerks to throw the unwanted item away, so that after you go to the end of the line, they can make you a fresh sub.

So, you decide to have a party with neighbors and all agree that Subs are appropriate. You collect your neighbors coupons and agree to pick up their subs. You order, go to Subway to pick them up and you agree that you should buy one, go to end of line , wait, buy another , etc. Meanwhile, the clerk throws all of the original subs away.

Perhaps a better approach is to ring them up separately without the waste of food.

Note, that's what we have done many times without having separate transactions "at the same Subway". We had experienced that they don't allow the free chips or cookie coupon on items bought on a separate coupon.

By the way, I brought this to the attention of Subway and just received a rather interesting response. It Follows:

"I want to take a moment to thank you for contacting me and to extend my apologies for the less than ideal experience that you had in my restaurant.

I understand that my staff’s behavior during your visit did not meet your expectations. I know that we have let you down, and for that, my team at this Subway® restaurant is sorry. We are dedicated to handcrafting our meals in a welcoming environment.

I am always looking for ways to improve the restaurant experience for my customers, so I shared your feedback with my team to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thank you for choosing Subway® and we look forward to seeing you soon."
Old 05-28-2022, 10:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your interpretation of the coupon use. That's why they send you a multipage list of coupons, so you can only use one a day or one and then go to the end of the line to use another. That's why they train the clerks to throw the unwanted item away, so that after you go to the end of the line, they can make you a fresh sub.

So, you decide to have a party with neighbors and all agree that Subs are appropriate. You collect your neighbors coupons and agree to pick up their subs. You order, go to Subway to pick them up and you agree that you should buy one, go to end of line , wait, buy another , etc. Meanwhile, the clerk throws all of the original subs away.

Perhaps a better approach is to ring them up separately without the waste of food.

Note, that's what we have done many times without having separate transactions "at the same Subway". We had experienced that they don't allow the free chips or cookie coupon on items bought on a separate coupon.

By the way, I brought this to the attention of Subway and just received a rather interesting response. It Follows:

"I want to take a moment to thank you for contacting me and to extend my apologies for the less than ideal experience that you had in my restaurant.

I understand that my staff’s behavior during your visit did not meet your expectations. I know that we have let you down, and for that, my team at this Subway® restaurant is sorry. We are dedicated to handcrafting our meals in a welcoming environment.

I am always looking for ways to improve the restaurant experience for my customers, so I shared your feedback with my team to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thank you for choosing Subway® and we look forward to seeing you soon."
There's nothing interesting about that response. It's a form letter that they send to everyone who writes in to complain about service.

And yes - you were looking for conflict. You were absolutely looking for conflict. You found it, and you ended up not getting what you want, so you're seeking validation here. You're upset because I'm not buying what you're selling. This might be your first rodeo, but it's not mine.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:

I have only been to Subway a few times, all of which service and quality were less than enjoyable.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:43 AM

Publix has the best subs.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:23 AM

We have frequented the Subway in Grand Traverse Plaza several times. Congenial staff, respectful, good food. Sorry your experience at Colony was bad. We will stay away from that one.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:13 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

[QUOTE=mtdjed;2100296Asked to speak to manager but none available. .[/QUOTE]

OMG......................speaking to a manager over a Subway coupon disagreement.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Life is too short to eat Subway when you can get a Pub sub with boar’s head
Old 05-29-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
OMG......................speaking to a manager over a Subway coupon disagreement.

I know right? The sense of entitlement is almost palpable in this post.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Next time go to WaWa. Their subs are much better.
Closed Thread

Tags
coupon, subway, price, full, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.