Subway vs Jersey Mike's

Old 04-04-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Kinda like PF Chang's chicken lettuce wraps! Interesting, I may try that as I'm trying to minimize breads as much as I can. Not easy!
Yep me too. Fast food options for low/no bread or gluten are kind of limited. Chipotle is a good place to get low/no gluten options.

Wendy's baked potato and chili is no gluten.

Noodles and Company has "gluten friendly" (ie beware if you're celiac) noodles and rice noodles. They also have zucchini "noodles".

Japanese (bring your own gf tamari) and Thai places are good for gluten free dishes.

PF Changs does a good job at GF options!

Last edited by AMB444; 04-04-2024 at 08:39 PM.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,544 Times in 3,119 Posts

Answering the question asked:

I grew up with Subway, since it was founded in Connecticut in 1965, and that's where I'm from. I'd never eaten at a Jersey Mike's and wasn't aware that they even existed until I came down here to The Villages. I personally prefer Jersey Mike's, now that I've had it. Plus Subway doesn't make -grilled- steak and cheese. I also like JM's bread, it's more like normal Italian bread than the squishy soft fluffy stuff from Subway.

Other comments that don't answer the question asked but are germain to the rest of the discussion:

Jersey Mike's didn't buy Subway. Roarke bought Subway. Jersey Mike's is still privately owned by the family that founded it.

Publix cold subs are better than both Jersey Mikes and Subway. Jersey Mike's steak and cheese are better than both Subway and Publix. Publix BREAD is better than both, no matter what you put in it. I like buying just a single sub roll from them and making a garlic loaf with it. None of the above come even close to the Italian bread from back home in Connecticut, none of them make as good Italian subs, hot or cold, as the ones I used to get when I lived in Boston. And none of them make a steak and cheese as good as D'Angelo's, which only has shops in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. But the best steak and cheese sub I've ever had was made by the guy who worked at the little convenience shop downstairs from my apartment, when I lived in Brighton, MA.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Publix makes better subs than both with superior ingredients.
Agree! And I'm impressed with Publix's own name brand items. I tried their shred cheddar the other day and thought it was really good. And I'm from Wisco.

Gotta admit I kinda miss the good ole home town Winn Dixies though.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:35 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Answering the question asked:

I grew up with Subway, since it was founded in Connecticut in 1965, and that's where I'm from. I'd never eaten at a Jersey Mike's and wasn't aware that they even existed until I came down here to The Villages. I personally prefer Jersey Mike's, now that I've had it. Plus Subway doesn't make -grilled- steak and cheese. I also like JM's bread, it's more like normal Italian bread than the squishy soft fluffy stuff from Subway.

Other comments that don't answer the question asked but are germain to the rest of the discussion:

Jersey Mike's didn't buy Subway. Roarke bought Subway. Jersey Mike's is still privately owned by the family that founded it.

Publix cold subs are better than both Jersey Mikes and Subway. Jersey Mike's steak and cheese are better than both Subway and Publix. Publix BREAD is better than both, no matter what you put in it. I like buying just a single sub roll from them and making a garlic loaf with it. None of the above come even close to the Italian bread from back home in Connecticut, none of them make as good Italian subs, hot or cold, as the ones I used to get when I lived in Boston. And none of them make a steak and cheese as good as D'Angelo's, which only has shops in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. But the best steak and cheese sub I've ever had was made by the guy who worked at the little convenience shop downstairs from my apartment, when I lived in Brighton, MA.
I could run a whole thread on Italian delis back home. I will say since you have expanded beyond Subway and Jersey Mike’s....Publix does use premium Boars Head meats/cheeses. That alone is a reason for me to choose them over the others....in this region, of course

Old 04-04-2024, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,544 Times in 3,119 Posts

Quote:
I could run a whole thread on Italian delis back home. I will say since you have expanded beyond Subway and Jersey Mike’s....Publix does use premium Boars Head meats/cheeses. That alone is a reason for me to choose them over the others....in this region, of course
I use the Publix brand for my Italian sub, but Publix doesn't have its own smoked turkey, and so I usually end up with the PitCraft from Boar's Head when I want a smoked turkey sub.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I usually end up with the PitCraft from Boar's Head when I want a smoked turkey sub.
Yum. Boars Head has excellent cheeses as well.

Old 04-05-2024, 03:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,424 Times in 2,534 Posts

We enjoyed Firehouse subs. More than big enough for two to share.
Went off Subway after one of their Tuna Mayo's gave me a dire case of Montezuma's Revenge.
Never tried Jersey Mike.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Kinda like PF Chang's chicken lettuce wraps! Interesting, I may try that as I'm trying to minimize breads as much as I can. Not easy!
Jersey Mikes will put any sandwich in a bowl without the bread.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

Both are good, but jersey mikes is better. My wife get a giant and split it. Get max points. Better meat, veggies (cooked), and cheese than subway. Subway, get a footlong and take 1/2 home, more options for add ons, meat is more restricted, still good.
Jersey mikes has that special seasoning that just tastes better.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:15 AM

Firehouse, made by an
Ex Fireman ?

Old 04-05-2024, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I like both of these sub shops, and I don't really see a huge difference in the quality of the sandwiches. There are now 4 Jersey Mike's stores and about 8 Subways in The Villages area. I think that some will say that Jersey Mike's is way better than Subway. However, I will point out that the Subway footlong is 50 percent larger than the Jersey Mike's regular size, which is only 8 inches long. Both cost about the same price. Is the Jersey Mike's sandwich really worth the same price for 50 percent less food?
When it comes to food, taste comes way before size. We enjoy subs from both Publix and Jersey Mikes.The giant Big Kahuna with chipolte mayo (off menue #99) is our favorite. We get a giant cut into thirds. One for me, one for my wife and one for my wife's husband. Publix are good also especially the Boar's head ones. However they are very poor in following instructions. You could order the same sandwich prepared with the same ingredients and condiments and get a different sandwich 3 days in a row. They cost about half of JM's however.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:04 AM

Neither, Firehouse subs please

Old 04-05-2024, 06:15 AM

I have to go with Jersey Mike's as well. Subway's subs are longer, but I feel like its a lot of bread with not much meat or cheese for the length. Maybe because I have to watch them count out the thinly sliced meats and rectangles of cheese....like a miser coming out of their own pockets.

I know this is irrational, but when Subway started showing up at gas stations and literally co-located with any sh*thole along a road it felt like they were a class below Jersey Mikes, Jimmy Johns, and all other sub companies.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:31 AM

I am amazed every time I go past a subway and see people in it.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakster66 View Post
I am amazed every time I go past a subway and see people in it.
Must be there for the 'proprietary tuna' foot long!

Tags
jersey, mikes, subway, percent, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.