'Tasting' wine in restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Default 'Tasting' wine in restaurants

Is it okay to ask for a taste of the house wine in a restaurant before ordering a glass? Our neighbors do this almost all of the time when we are out for dinner with them - and I am uncomfortable when they do this. It is not like they are wine experts (knowing what they serve at their house) - and sometimes they ask for tastes of two or three different wines (house merlot then cab then pinot...) before they decide if they want to order a glass. When they asked for their third taste at Little Joey's the manager actually brought them their 'taste' and stayed at our table until they decided. The worst part is the waitress doesn't bring our drinks until they are done tasting - maybe I am just jealous because they have already had a free drink on the house before we get our paid for drink???
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Only up to 12 tastes and then it is really really bad manners.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Veteran member

Kinda reminds me of the folks who order lemons with their glasses of water and then add sugar, making their own lemonades.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Only up to 12 tastes and then it is really really bad manners.
L O L
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It is proper to ask for a taste before ordering IF it is a wine they serve by the glass. Even two different wines is OK. Three and your going a bit over the edge. But might still be OK if it was a place with a large selection by the glass. But always buy something. I sometimes review the wine list and if I don't see a bottle I really want but only one that is OK, ask for a taste of a couple wines by the glass I may not be familiar with. If the "by the glass is OK" I will order that, if not then I will buy the bottle I found on the list.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
Kinda reminds me of the folks who order lemons with their glasses of water and then add sugar, making their own lemonades.
At Perkins I heard a server call this a "Villages Coctail."

To quote my mother, "When I get too cheap to order a beverage I'll just stay home."
Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

it is a perfectly acceptable practice honored by most any restaurant/bar.

And much preferred to sending back a whole glass one does not like.

btk
Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
I know that LOOKS really bad and cheap, BUT I have done that with sugar free sweetners because I can never find a restaurant that serves a drink that is sugar free, decaffeinated, and not carbonated. On very rare occasions some places have things like Crystal Light and I will order it but should I always have to just drink water if I can accommodate myself? Please don't jump all over me for this, I am not being cheap it's a matter of not liking caronation and not being able to tolerate caffine or sugar. I do try to be discreet when I do it.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Gold member

If someone is really experienced and particular about their wine it is acceptable...if it's just done to be pretentious then it's silly. I suggest that you tell your friends that when the waiter comes you are going to order your drinks to be served before they 'select' their wine.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I know that LOOKS really bad and cheap, BUT I have done that with sugar free sweetners because I can never find a restaurant that serves a drink that is sugar free, decaffeinated, and not carbonated. On very rare occasions some places have things like Crystal Light and I will order it but should I always have to just drink water if I can accommodate myself? Please don't jump all over me for this, I am not being cheap it's a matter of not liking caronation and not being able to tolerate caffine or sugar. I do try to be discreet when I do it.
I can certainly see your point, and I can't really come up with a good alternative. I may be wrong, but I think you are in the minority--I think most of the people I have seen doing this are just plain cheap (the fact they add sugar instead of sweetner leads me to this conclusion). That is the feedback I get from a lot of our servers as well.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.