TGI Fridays

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Sage

Did you see the photo in today's Sun of Golden Corral?? LONG line out into the parking lot and that place can hold a bunch of folks!! As others stated whenever there's anything free here you will have lines of folks!

A couple of years ago Denny's was offering (I forget the occassion) a special of some kind...might have been free breakfasts! We went to Leesburg instead of here in T.V. There was a short line that went quickly plus our meal came in a timely manner. So maybe you need to check outside of the bubble next time.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 AM
Sage

I try to avoid TGI and other national chain restaurants as much as possible.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 11-14-2012, 05:07 AM
Sage

I am retired Military and would never accept a free meal for that reason. I would rather offer that same FREE meal to someone that needs it. I doubt very much that the majority of retired military living in The Villages fit the parameters I would set to be in NEED of a FREE meal. I am proud of my service and also proud of my country for providing me with a check for life and free medical for life. I want my country to feed the hungry, house the poor and heal the sick. I have and will continue to take care of myself.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
I am retired Military and would never accept a free meal for that reason. I would rather offer that same FREE meal to someone that needs it. I doubt very much that the majority of retired military living in The Villages fit the parameters I would set to be in NEED of a FREE meal. I am proud of my service and also proud of my country for providing me with a check for life and free medical for life. I want my country to feed the hungry, house the poor and heal the sick. I have and will continue to take care of myself.

What a heart warming post. Our retired military deserve wonderful things and endless Thank yous.. but in a situation such as this, when free anything is given away, you can expect less than wonderful in my experience.

And in Ohio we have a little saying.

For Free....take.
For Buy....complain.

It is just the way life is.

Again....Many thanks to our Military.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

I went to olive garden sunday for the free meal, had a short wait and they had a nice selection of free meals including bread sticks and salad. Went to applebees for supper, had a nice table at the bar and service was fast and good food. Secret to going to golden coral is going around 7:30. Short line and all the food was fresh. Besides all the vets in the villages, there are many vets in wildwood, fruitland park, and lady lake also so expect lonfg lines.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
I went to olive garden sunday for the free meal, had a short wait and they had a nice selection of free meals including bread sticks and salad. Went to applebees for supper, had a nice table at the bar and service was fast and good food. Secret to going to golden coral is going around 7:30. Short line and all the food was fresh. Besides all the vets in the villages, there are many vets in wildwood, fruitland park, and lady lake also so expect lonfg lines.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM

Really? Three free meals? You needed all that food?

I hope you tipped each server.

Thank you for serving our country.

Last edited by unknown*server; 11-14-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added content
Old 11-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Definitely appreciated the meal for the Veterans, and also expected a wait, but as I mentioned, they admitted that they had taken other people before us and that shouldn't have happened if they were more organized. Actually, they would have been better off not even doing it instead of upsetting customers who may never go back there again. My husband and I go to TGI Fridays, but the others with us have not and they have no interest in going back. Just think the manager should have been out there helping those poor Hostesses clean the tables in order to get the customers seated more quickly. The hostess had to not only try to keep taking names and seating people, but ALSO bus the tables. Again, poor management.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM

Next year, why not have all these restaurants donate their free meal to the local VFW and American Legion and let them take care of the servicing of our WELL DESERVING VETERANS.
Those of you who complain of waiting in line are ingrates toward those who want to honor you as heroes.
Why not donate, as stated above, and/or to the soup kitchens where there are needy people who are without jobs or some other form of income and really need a hot meal. Yes, you did your duty and for that we thank you and honor you, but, you get your pensions and disability checks so lets give a little something to those, AND THEIR FAMILIES, INCLUDING THE CHILDREN, that are really in need and will not complain about the staff that is trying so hard to show you some appreciation.
At this point, your mediocre complaint is so innocuous and annoying that I tend to think you forgot what you were really fighting for. It certainly wasn't a free meal ticket!
Next time, offer your "free" meal(s) to someone truly in need.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Golfingnut: Bravo! Iserved four years in the military and remained at the same Naval Base the entire time. Because of that fact I never felt entitled to VA benefits feeling instead they belonged to the guys that fought on the front lines.

As for the freebies at TGIF, etc you get what you paid for
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
It was a free meal. Expect long lines and slow service. Be Grateful they offered the meal to Vet's.

I went to TGIF and was promptly and warmly greeted. Never have I been more appreciated . This truly was one of the greatest moments of my post military life. The hostility and apprehension that I faced in my years of service were not to be seen. I left wondering where where those people in 72-76?

I never enjoyed a sandwich more .

But that is just me....
Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

TGI FRidays problem is not the free meals. Personal experience wait....then wait some more...waiting not the problem as there were empty tables. The desk person said they were not allowed to assign some tables.

Then we sat down and waited long enough that I went to the desk and asked if anyone was assigned to our table. She checked and you'll never guess....there was nobody assigned to the table. And oh by the way there were 5 servers within eye sight that were just standing around as if waiting for something.

So we had a table that was not assigned and there were empty tables and still people waiting to get in.

I approached the desk about the wait ((PUN intended) staff just standing around. You will not guess again. They were there for when the un-assigned tables were opened. I politely with gritted teeth asked if one of them could wait on our table. After a small all too visible fuss one as assigned our table.

Yes we waited too long for the food that was cold when it came out. That was it. I told my wife we are leaving and left the food at the table. On the way out I advised the girl at the desk we were leaving and I was not paying.

Iasked for the manager and she told me he was not in yet!!!!!

Needless to say we do not go back to TGIF. I have also heard others who have had very similar stories about that place.

There are too many choices to put up with such incompetence.

btk
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
TGI FRidays problem is not the free meals. Personal experience wait....then wait some more...waiting not the problem as there were empty tables. The desk person said they were not allowed to assign some tables.

Then we sat down and waited long enough that I went to the desk and asked if anyone was assigned to our table. She checked and you'll never guess....there was nobody assigned to the table. And oh by the way there were 5 servers within eye sight that were just standing around as if waiting for something.

So we had a table that was not assigned and there were empty tables and still people waiting to get in.

I approached the desk about the wait ((PUN intended) staff just standing around. You will not guess again. They were there for when the un-assigned tables were opened. I politely with gritted teeth asked if one of them could wait on our table. After a small all too visible fuss one as assigned our table.

Yes we waited too long for the food that was cold when it came out. That was it. I told my wife we are leaving and left the food at the table. On the way out I advised the girl at the desk we were leaving and I was not paying.

Needless to say we do not go back to TGIF. I have also heard others who have had very similar stories about that place.

btk
the manager is a lady. and ive always found the service here to be outstanding. nuff said.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

btk
My only reply is,.....in the future...you should stay away from free meal deals.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.