Thai Restaurant

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2022, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcats View Post
Imagine the fortune that could be made by someone opening a classic Asian restaurant that is in abundance up north. If I was a younger man it would be a gold mine. I have yet to find anything in the south of for that matter the Midwest that rivals the little family Chinese restaurants from Maine to New Jersey. Maybe we could convert one of these churches lol. People would worship the food. Thoughts and Crab Rangoons
Would you get enough people willing to pay the cost? Would think that if it was a slam dunk some mart people would have done it by now
Old 10-28-2022, 07:52 PM
Default Well you have pretty much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcats View Post
Imagine the fortune that could be made by someone opening a classic Asian restaurant that is in abundance up north. If I was a younger man it would be a gold mine. I have yet to find anything in the south of for that matter the Midwest that rivals the little family Chinese restaurants from Maine to New Jersey. Maybe we could convert one of these churches lol. People would worship the food. Thoughts and Crab Rangoons
almost 2/3 of the country. The Northeast is unique to itself. The classic you reference likely would not appeal to enough customers here good or bad. Everyone lives where it makes sense for them. Take the good with the bad.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:25 AM
Default Just one person's opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Guess we are not foodies but we do like bamboo bistro
We really enjoy the food and service as well, as they stated they think only one restaurant in NY is good, which was not even relavent. So not sure why they even bothered to respond
Old 10-29-2022, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Is there a decent Thai restaurant near The Villages? I've eaten at Ruby Thai several times and haven't been happy with them.

I would go as far as Ocala or Mt Dora but not as far as Orlando.
We went to Thai Ruby a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic

Old 10-29-2022, 07:54 AM
Default Thai

Google Maps
Old 10-29-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
Can you recommend a local market for ingredients? I am not up to making my own curry paste, can not find the Mussaman paste I want online TIA
I use that paste and get it thru Amazon. Lots of my ethnic cooking spices/needs are 2 days away found on Amazon. Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Is there a decent Thai restaurant near The Villages? I've eaten at Ruby Thai several times and haven't been happy with them.

I would go as far as Ocala or Mt Dora but not as far as Orlando.
I haven't been to either but people have told me they are good, both in Ocala.

1) Ayuttaya Thai Cuisine
2) Royal Orchid Thai Cuisine
Old 10-29-2022, 09:22 AM

I recently went to Aloy Dee in Eustis (similar distance to Mt Dora) and enjoyed it. Mt Dora was having some sort of festival and I only found this place because I was trying to avoid the crowds and potentially difficult parking situation in Mt Dora.

Husband and wife team. Wife does the cooking. Husband (the waiter) is a very friendly guy. Busy on the weekends. 4.8 star average from 264 reviews on Google. Home | Aloy Dee
Old 10-29-2022, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Guess we are not foodies but we do like bamboo bistro
I like Bamboo Bistro as well, but not for Thai Food. Their Chinese food is very good. Same goes for Koyame which, as far as I'm concerned has the best Chinese food in the area. But when they try to do Thai or Japanese it doesn't work.

It seems that every Chinese restaurant feels the need to become an Asian Fusion restaurant. They serve several different Asian cuisines and most of them are mediocre at best.

There's a great Thai restaurant in Orlando on I-Drive but I can't remember the name of it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee Dubya View Post
Bamboo bistro just another fake Thai restaurant like so many. Filipino cooks who either don’t know or don’t honor genuine Thailand recipes. I spent a lot of time in Bangkok and the land of smiles. In my travels I’ve only found one decent Thai restaurant and it’s on the upper east side of Manhattan. Go figure :-) ;-)
You really can't compare any Asian food made here in the US to what is served in Asian countries. All of the dishes are modified for the American palette. I've live in Asia. The food over there is very different than what is served here.

Occasionally, you might find a placed that serves authentic food from whatever Asian country they're from, but most Americans won't like it.

I think that when we talk about Asian food (and pizza for that matter) we compare it to the food that we got used to wherever we're from. I'm from Boston and the Chinese fried rice I ate growing up was very brown. I don't know what was added to it but it was very different than fried rice I've eaten in other parts of the world.

I ordered chow mein in China and it was more like what we call lo mein here but more of a thick soup.I didn't like it at all.

Most food tastes involve what we're used to.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorp View Post
We enjoyed our meals at Ruby Thai and the ambiance was nice. Definitely going again. No way drive to Ocala for a meal. Waste of gas.
The problem that I've had with Thai Ruby is that their fried appetizers like spring rolls, crab rangoon etc are always burned. Their Pad Thai is OK but some of the other offerings are mediocre.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycereal View Post
We had this great Thai place in Hawaii called Keo's that unfortunately closed back before covid. They had unusual names for their dishes like evil jungle prince for the red spicy coconut chicken. I have never had its equal. For me the meat is the main thing. If it's garbage Panda Express type chicken I know it within the first few bites. So I'll try some of these suggestions thanks. Or I'll make my own... need to access that Keo's menu online because again nothing like it.
Oh yeah, Keo's Thai Cuisine on Kalakaua In Waikiki. Best Panang Curry I've ever had.

Tags
thai, restaurant, dora, ocala, happy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.