Thai Ruby in Lake Sumter Landing

Old 01-14-2024, 12:18 PM
Default Thai Ruby in Lake Sumter Landing

Constantly one of the best restaurants in The Villages. After a chilly walk around the square at the craft show stopped in for a delicious lunch for under $12. Since it was cold out I asked for my chicken curry spicy. It was perfect. The veggies were fresh and crisp, presented beautifully. Lunch also included soup and egg roll. I have never had a bad meal there. Service is attentive and the atmosphere is quiet and not rushed. A nice healthy alternative to other area restaurants.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:19 PM

Agree.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesare View Post
Constantly one of the best restaurants in The Villages.
Always had a good meal there - and you can ask for it to be made extra spicy.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:32 PM

Love Thai Ruby!
Old 01-14-2024, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Very good. We had takeout from there quite a bit during the pandemic.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

We have never had a bad meal there. And many very food ones. Many for us anyway as we do not get out much. But when we do Thai Ruby is usually on our short list.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Interesting... my wife and I have never had a good meal there. Always find the food to be very bland and tasteless. When I ask for spicy, I still get bland food with just a hint of spice. We go to Ayuttaya Thai Cuisine in Ocala - no comparison.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Happy to have a decent Thai restaurant a golf cart ride away.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
Interesting... my wife and I have never had a good meal there. Always find the food to be very bland and tasteless. When I ask for spicy, I still get bland food with just a hint of spice. We go to Ayuttaya Thai Cuisine in Ocala - no comparison.
Totally agree! After living in Thailand several years ago I think we have a pretty good feel for good Thai food. We tried to like Thai Ruby three times when we first moved here and that was four too many times.

We like Royal Orchid in Ocala better than Ayuttaya but haven't been there since last Friday evening. We also meet our family from Melbourne for dinner at Thai Thani in Orlando frequently.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:31 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. We like just a touch of “spicy”. Thai Ruby at Sumter Landing is “just right” for us. OP, thanks for your positive comments.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Totally agree! After living in Thailand several years ago I think we have a pretty good feel for good Thai food. We tried to like Thai Ruby three times when we first moved here and that was four too many times.

We like Royal Orchid in Ocala better than Ayuttaya but haven't been there since last Friday evening. We also meet our family from Melbourne for dinner at Thai Thani in Orlando frequently.
Totally agree. Thai Ruby benefits from the fact that, as Thai restaurants go, they're the only game in town. Not hard to succeed if there is no standard of comparison.

That is not to say Thai Ruby is bad. It isn't. But it is popular because the cuisine is basically "Americanized". My wife is Thai (and loves to cook) and like the OP I've spent significant time in Thailand. Real Thai cuisine is powerful, pungent and hearty, and often contains items and seasonings that just aren't available here or, if they are, are expensive: kaffir lime leaves and galangal, to list just two. It is also as a rule far heavier on things like lime juice, fish sauce, dried shrimp and thai chilies than what is available here. You learn early on, if you're eating the real thing, to never put the napkin that you've just wiped your hands and mouth with, anywhere near your eyes. That, I know from experience. Not fun! Plus, there are dishes you can get there that you'll never find in America, not even in an Americanized version: fermented raw crab salad, for example, which is popular in the Isaan (north and northeast Thailand), or Saikrog (sp?) which is a sausage of pork, rice and garlic stuffed into natural skins and then left out in the sun for a day or three to ferment before it is eaten. Delicious. But, an acquired taste.

Again, nothing wrong with Americanized Thai food. But what is generally served in America is at best a second cousin to the real thing.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:32 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

I agree, and think Thai Ruby is “OK”, but highly “Americanized”- and they use a little more sugar in their sauces than I prefer, but I have found that to be a “Florida” thing at most Asian restaurants since moving to the state. Also, I’m used to Thai restaurants having a spice/condiment tray on the table.

Last edited by Michael 61; 01-16-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:53 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

One of our fav's...............for a golf cart eatery.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
One of our fav's...............for a golf cart eatery.
We love Thai Ruby as well. The decoration, china and silverware and the lovely Thai clothes that the servers were all add to the ambience. The salmon is delicious; served at dinner only. It's a good choice for going out with a small group of friends.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post

Royal Orchid is good as well, but I really like a specific dish at Ayuttaya better - their pineapple fried rice is fantastic! We've only been to Royal Orchid once... will have to give it a try again!

Tags
lunch, restaurants, thai, roll, egg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.